T Nation

Home Made Gym Equipment

I was sent to work in a remote area of Sri Lanka. The house I moved into had some workout equipment but it was missing some key items. I made this Squat/Bench rack out of two used pallets. It took me under a hour to make and it does everything I need it to do. I hope this design can be useful to someone else.

Gets out the popcorn…

I was thinking of making a pulley system for my rack at home. So I can do cable lifts.

Here’s the dip bar a made (Also used two pallets)

[quote]missionkiter wrote:
Here’s the dip bar a made (Also used two pallets)[/quote]

How stable is this thing?

totally stable. It is screwed into the wall

[quote]dirtman wrote:
Gets out the popcorn…

I was thinking of making a pulley system for my rack at home. So I can do cable lifts.[/quote]

I have been thinking of this as well. I am trying to figure out what to use as the upright to keep the weight from swinging.

[quote]JCMPG wrote:

[quote]dirtman wrote:
Gets out the popcorn…

I was thinking of making a pulley system for my rack at home. So I can do cable lifts.[/quote]

I have been thinking of this as well. I am trying to figure out what to use as the upright to keep the weight from swinging.[/quote]

I was thinking about using a pole that hangs from the top of a 2x6(where the pulley would be anchored). Like a thick gas line or plumbing type pole as a guide for the weight. Should stop it from swinging.

[quote]missionkiter wrote:
Here’s the dip bar a made (Also used two pallets)[/quote]

Damn, I might steal this. I’ve been drawing up plans for a home dip station and this could work. I was gonna use 4x4s, but I do have some old pallets sitting around.

[quote]missionkiter wrote:
totally stable. It is screwed into the wall[/quote]

How much do you weigh, if you don’t mind me asking? Also do you add weight when doing dips?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]missionkiter wrote:
Here’s the dip bar a made (Also used two pallets)[/quote]

Damn, I might steal this. I’ve been drawing up plans for a home dip station and this could work. I was gonna use 4x4s, but I do have some old pallets sitting around. [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing

edit:

Although, the pallets might need re-enforcing

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]missionkiter wrote:
Here’s the dip bar a made (Also used two pallets)[/quote]

Damn, I might steal this. I’ve been drawing up plans for a home dip station and this could work. I was gonna use 4x4s, but I do have some old pallets sitting around. [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing

edit:

Although, the pallets might need re-enforcing[/quote]

Ya, I’m not sure I could ever fully trust the setup with pallets. I don’t know how I’d do a stress test either.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]missionkiter wrote:
Here’s the dip bar a made (Also used two pallets)[/quote]

Damn, I might steal this. I’ve been drawing up plans for a home dip station and this could work. I was gonna use 4x4s, but I do have some old pallets sitting around. [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing

edit:

Although, the pallets might need re-enforcing[/quote]

Ya, I’m not sure I could ever fully trust the setup with pallets. I don’t know how I’d do a stress test either. [/quote]

I know what you mean. I would hear the creeeeeek of the wood and would have second thoughts about the whole deal.

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]missionkiter wrote:
Here’s the dip bar a made (Also used two pallets)[/quote]

Damn, I might steal this. I’ve been drawing up plans for a home dip station and this could work. I was gonna use 4x4s, but I do have some old pallets sitting around. [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing

edit:

Although, the pallets might need re-enforcing[/quote]

Ya, I’m not sure I could ever fully trust the setup with pallets. I don’t know how I’d do a stress test either. [/quote]

I know what you mean. I would hear the creeeeeek of the wood and would have second thoughts about the whole deal.
[/quote]

2x4’s are cheap. Why not spend a few bucks to build something which will last?

The two pallets are just a base and don’t have much weight (The one closest to the wall is actually getting loaded in a upward angle) there is a 4x4 that runs all the way to the floor. This was added closest to the dipper and takes the most weight. This system will take a 300lbs load with no problems. It will last and using pallets will cut down on your building time and cost.

Here’s a picture of the 4X4 that runs to the floor

PVC is where its at!

/notsrs

Wood equipment seems iffy, but if works for you and saves $$, then cool.
I recently met some dude from craigslist who was a welder. Told me he could he could build anything or customize existing equipment. Seemed like a cool dude. He had a crazy hardcore gym. Made me feel like a little kid in a candy store.

[quote]HateTank wrote:

PVC is where its at!

/notsrs

Wood equipment seems iffy, but if works for you and saves $$, then cool.
I recently met some dude from craigslist who was a welder. Told me he could he could build anything or customize existing equipment. Seemed like a cool dude. He had a crazy hardcore gym. Made me feel like a little kid in a candy store. [/quote]

That shit looks unstable. Pipes are bending, everything is swaying and he weighs like 140 lbs. Fuck that.

Another cheap alternative is to find a local scaffolding supplier near to you and find out if they have any poles they are getting rid of - easy to cut up and weld together

Resurrection…

I put together this dip station for like $10 bucks. I already had the pipes though.

I haven’t made many things for my home gym, but the most useful is a T-bar handle for kettlebell swings made out of 3/4" pipe (you can google instructions online). It is a lot cheaper than buying heavy kettlebells.