Home Lifta

Time to move on to the next routine. Going to add dynamic squats and deads. I will be looking to do another meet after the kids hockey season some time in the spring…

Going for some bigger numbers. That’s always a good thing. Video’s, pictures and souvenirs please. Oh! you’re not going away. This at the gym or home gym.

Still training at home. I enjoy everyones comments and advice here. You’re still stuck with me.
Was just thinking about bunny and how everything is with his family.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Time to move on to the next routine. Going to add dynamic squats and deads. I will be looking to do another meet after the kids hockey season some time in the spring.[/quote]

Good deal. I’ll be following with keen intrest

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Still training at home. I enjoy everyones comments and advice here. You’re still stuck with me.
Was just thinking about bunny and how everything is with his family.[/quote]

Me too, last night. Given the length of his absence, I suspect things have turned very serious. I’ll be praying for them.

10/15
clean and press 135x5,185x3,205x2,225x1
bench 225x20
goblet squat 80x10

Just a quick workout. Still looking for a workout I want to use. Cleans are difficult. I cant drop down after the first pull to catch the weight and squat up. I stand erect the entire movement. But I like doing them.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to do board presses lifting alone? I also cant pull the trigger and pay 28 dollars for big elastic bands and a hundred dollars for chains. Just seems way over priced.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
10/15
bench 225x20
goblet squat 80x10

Just a quick workout. Still looking for a workout I want to use. Cleans are difficult. I cant drop down after the first pull to catch the weight and squat up. I stand erect the entire movement. But I like doing them.[/quote]

So you are doing power cleans? Nice work.

What do you want to do differently this time around? Are you going to gear towards another meet?

I will do another meet. But after looking there aren’t many around here. There is one in May and one in July (both 3 hours away). I hope to do one.
I did (ugly) cleans yesterday because I had no agenda.
I want to add dynamic work. I found a good workout last night of Jim Wendlers. Ironman has an interesting structured dynamic/ME set up as well.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions how to do board presses lifting alone? I also cant pull the trigger and pay 28 dollars for big elastic bands and a hundred dollars for chains. Just seems way over priced.[/quote]

Just tuck the boards under your shirt. As far as bands and chains go I would get the bands you will not regret the purchase. You will only need the minis for bench. You can always get several set of minis over time and use them together for your squat and deadlift. If you have any kind of carpentry skills you might make a deadlift platform out of 2x4s and plywood with bolts on the ends to attach the bands. I have no idea how strong they would have to be you might have to do a little experimenting to find out. You could reinforce them with pieces of scrap metal.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions how to do board presses lifting alone? I also cant pull the trigger and pay 28 dollars for big elastic bands and a hundred dollars for chains. Just seems way over priced.[/quote]

You could use bicycle inner tubes.

Ya skinflint.

Buy the freakin bands. They add a new dimension to your training and give you more rehab options.

Plus you can use the minis to hold your boards in place. Otherwise just use and old knee wrap to tie it down.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
10/15
Cleeans are difficult. I cant drop down after the first pull to catch the weight and squat up. I stand erect the entire movement. But I like doing them.[/quote]

Same here. I’m trying to get more under the bar but haven’t had a lotof success. Good numbers, though.

[quote]Ironmantrw wrote:
ecogenx wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions how to do board presses lifting alone? I also cant pull the trigger and pay 28 dollars for big elastic bands and a hundred dollars for chains. Just seems way over priced.

Just tuck the boards under your shirt. As far as bands and chains go I would get the bands you will not regret the purchase. You will only need the minis for bench. You can always get several set of minis over time and use them together for your squat and deadlift. If you have any kind of carpentry skills you might make a deadlift platform out of 2x4s and plywood with bolts on the ends to attach the bands. I have no idea how strong they would have to be you might have to do a little experimenting to find out. You could reinforce them with pieces of scrap metal.[/quote]

Thanks IM. I like the under your shirt idea. With deads can you just put the bands under your feet? How do you decide how many bands to use?

[quote]skidmark wrote:
ecogenx wrote:
I also cant pull the trigger and pay 28 dollars for big elastic bands and a hundred dollars for chains. Just seems way over priced.

Ya skinflint.

[/quote]

You’re right I am being overly cheap. Spend money on your sport.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
ecogenx wrote:
10/15
Cleeans are difficult. I cant drop down after the first pull to catch the weight and squat up. I stand erect the entire movement. But I like doing them.

Same here. I’m trying to get more under the bar but haven’t had a lotof success. Good numbers, though.[/quote]

hel, my mind says drop down under the bar but my body just says no. If you’re muscling the bar up like I am and still getting 280…thats damn strong work.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Ironmantrw wrote:
ecogenx wrote:

Just tuck the boards under your shirt. As far as bands and chains go I would get the bands you will not regret the purchase. You will only need the minis for bench. You can always get several set of minis over time and use them together for your squat and deadlift. If you have any kind of carpentry skills you might make a deadlift platform out of 2x4s and plywood with bolts on the ends to attach the bands. I have no idea how strong they would have to be you might have to do a little experimenting to find out. You could reinforce them with pieces of scrap metal.

Thanks IM. I like the under your shirt idea. With deads can you just put the bands under your feet? How do you decide how many bands to use?[/quote]

I really don’t know about the under your feet thing. Personally I would use a doubled mini on each end held down with heavy dumbells or the platform I just spoke of.

HAving tried the under your feet thing, I can’t recommend it either. Doubled or quadded with a HEAVY DB is the way to go, per Ironmantrw.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
hel320 wrote:
ecogenx wrote:
10/15
Cleeans are difficult. I cant drop down after the first pull to catch the weight and squat up. I stand erect the entire movement. But I like doing them.

Same here. I’m trying to get more under the bar but haven’t had a lotof success. Good numbers, though.

hel, my mind says drop down under the bar but my body just says no. If you’re muscling the bar up like I am and still getting 280…thats damn strong work.[/quote]

As far as clean technique goes, you two are probably too damn strong for your own good. Ideally, if your elbows are bent, you should be well on your way to getting under the bar. (No longer trying to pull the bar higher, but trying to pull your body under it instead.) I’m generalizing from watching other very strong, but relatively inexperienced lifters clean, so I’m not certain this is the problem, but it seems likely.

10/17

A.dynamic bench 225 8 sets 3 reps
B.4 towel bench work up to 3-5 rep
225x5, 315x3, 365x2, 335x3
C.lying db tri ext 40sx10,8,6,6
D.military 155x10,10,10,5
E.face pulls 50lb 4 sets 12 reps (on bow flex)

I rolled up 4 gym towels and rapped it in tape and stuck it under my shirt. Compressed it measures 6 inches. The same as a 4 board press. I plan on making some boards eventually but the towels worked great.

My triceps were fried. Going to try rack pulls tomorrow. I plan on starting from knee height…is that correct?

I’m really liking this work, eco. I think I may massage my training in the same manner.