T Nation

Home Insulin Test?

Was wondering if it were possible to test your insulin at home with one of those blood/glucose gadgets that diabetics use and some dextrose? Or is the drink they give you at the doctor's office way more potent?

Also is it dangerous to take chromium picolinate to promote better insulin sensitivity if your not sure you need it? Will it fuck you up if you already have decent sensitivity? Or is it something that enhances it regardless?

I've seen this doctor mention this about glucose readers:

"To do this, you will need:

1) A glucose meter?My favorite is the One Touch Ultra Mini ($13.42 at Walmart). It?s exceptionally easy to use and requires just a dot of blood. Drawback: Test strips are about $1 each. Accuchek Aviva is another good device. (We?ve had a lot of problems with Walgreen?s brand device.)
2) Test strips?This is the costly part of the proposition. Purchased 25 or 50 at a time, they can cost from $0.50 to $1.00 a piece.
3) Lancets?These are the pins for the fingerstick device that comes with the glucose meter. A box should be just a few dollars.

No prescription is necessary, nor will insurance pay for your costs unless you?re diabetic. To conserve test strips, use them only when a new, untested food or food combination is going to be consumed. If you had two scrambled eggs with green peppers, sundried tomatoes, and olive oil yesterday and had a one hour postprandial glucose of 97 mg/dl, no need to check blood sugar again if you are having the same meal again today."

The rest can be read at:

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/2010/07/to-lose-weight-prick-your-finger.html

Has anyone ever done a test at home?

Also any thoughts on taking chromium picolinate without being tested for insulin resistance?

Majoring in the minors, man. Focus on the shit that really matters, odds are there are still areas where you (and anyone for that matter) could probably improve that will make much bigger differences than messing with this.

But if you're hellbent on it, like Menthol said, you can get the meters at a pharmacy without a prescription, and they're not hard to use.

That said, I've never heard of CP making any difference (positive or negative). There's a reason it's 4 bucks.