Home Improvement Projects

connecting pvc to iron using a fernco rubber coupling

Nicely done, man. Just saved yourself thousands.

Those CI to PVC boots are great. I’ve used them in my plumbing adventures. I always make sure I do everything to code. I was doing some plumbing below my basement floor years ago. I go into a plumbing supply store with my shopping list for PVC pipe. The guy asks “is this going below grade?”. I said yes, he says nope… gotta go with cast iron below grade. So I had to go and revise my list and the cost was doubled.

Update: My plan fucking worked.

I just sold this house after just under 5yrs living in it. Bought it for 130k, sold for 202k. Worked with a realtor and walked away with 71k (that’s more than all mortgage payments with escrow plus all the work I did to the house). This was after adding a 2nd bathroom with a giant tiled shower.

It’s a wierd thing…people ask you why you’re doing what you’re doing (in this case buying a fixer upper in a rough area), but you can’t reveal your plan cause it may not work out the way you hope, and you may get laughed at.!

here are some pics of our bathroom addition, my GF placed every tile EXCEPT the 1st one (I had to help her she had blank paper syndrome)

We took the money and went 20% down on a newer/bigger/nicer house, which (doing 20% down) would’ve been impossible to do in this market without having bought the old fixer upper first.

6 Likes

Well done!

That’s awesome dude, great work!

I’ve always done the majority of my own work on houses I’ve owned. That shower looks great!

My last house I was in I got a pretty good return as well. Sold after 5 years, turned a 120k profit on it. Bought for like 270k, sold for 400k.

My current house is the first one I can’t do the work myself in. And it’s kind of a bummer. I’m in a luxury condo building, and the HOA has insanely strict rules on having work done on individual units. You pretty much have to contract everything out. All I’ve been able to do myself is things like replacing ceiling fans, light fixtures, door knobs. Basically the things I can get away with without bringing a lot of materials in or making a lot of noise.

1 Like

Jesus, 120k in 5 years is pretty impressive. It’s fun to look back on the housing value graph and see that you bought/sold at such key times.

My pilgrimage to the new Mecca (er somethin) brought me to this point, Rubber flooring is in, now I just have to re-assemble and plant the beast.

We just ripped up carpet on our entire 3rd level (2nd lowest to basement). Tomorrow we are having the slab foam jacked (2 rooms and a bathroom) which the sellers paid for. My GF and I are both staying home and are excited to watch the work. You may be able to see the dip in the middle of the room in the photo, but it’s hard to see.

’’

The soil under the slab has sunk and there is a good 3-4" of air under the slab to be filled. Judging by the cracks in the slab that have carpet padding glue in them, this isn’t from recent settling, but happened 20+ years ago well before the carpet was installed.

After the foam jacking we are going to open up a wall in the basement to fit a pool table and a wet bar, then order new carpet for both levels. Then onto the 3rd floor bathroom to give it an update.

yea man, I hit the market pretty well on that one. I really didn’t put a ton of money into the house. Basically just flooring, landscaping, re-did a half bath. Most of the value came from the location. Dallas is growing like crazy, and it’s hard to make a bad home purchase in the city or the right surrounding suburbs.