Home Improvement Projects

What part of Baltimore? Was it in the city or county? I know you can get those row houses dirt cheap but they are kind of in the hood.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I love fixer-uppers. I bought two houses in Baltimore for under 30K each back in '01. Sunk about 50K into them, did most of the work myself. Now they are each worth more than 300K and give me almost 2K per month net rental income. I’ve fixed tons of shit in every house I’ve owned. But I have a construction background, have or have access to just about any tool you can imagine, get discounts on material and enjoy working with my hands.

When I retire, my plan is to take a year or two and build my last home with my own hands.[/quote]

Sorry about the pissiness on contractors. I get people questioning me all the time on our prices. They go to Home Depot and find out the price of a bundle of shingles and can’t figure out why our prices are so high. If you hire some guy with a truck and ladder they are cheaper because they don’t have the same overhead as a large company such as WSIB, liability and wage expenses. Add into that union rates and it gets expensive.

However, we’ve had people come to us who went the cheaper route to begin with, had a problem and couldn’t find their contractor any more. They then call us up crying but we’ve never walked away from a customer and a problem. For some things I’d definitely price shop but others I’d pay extra. Gutters I’d likely price shop but make sure it was done right. You can get water penetration from the most unlikely spots and it wicks its’ way into weird places causing damage removed from the source.

I decided to insulate the pipes because it seemed like my boiler was working really hard to keep the water hot. I don’t know if it’s made any difference. My best money would be spent having the walls insulated which will be added to my list. I believe they can do that with plaster and lathe by cutting holes and injecting it. There isn’t much between the brick and plaster and the exterior walls are cold as hell in the winter.

Bathtubs can be refinished or re-glazed which is a great, inexpensive option. My tub is old and was chipped, worn and yellowed. The enamel had worn down so that it didn’t really ever look clean. I had it re-glazed for $500. The most expensive price I got was over $2,000 but that was to remove the tub, sand blast it and redo it entirely with the feet a different colour. For $500 they did the inside and the area that could be seen from the front without removing it. They filled in the chips and cracks and put a new coat of white on it. Just google bath tub re-glazing in your area. They can also do the same thing with old tiles that are in decent repair but an ugly colour. It was totally worth it for me because in the winter I read in the bath tub and drink beer to destress.

One thing I want to add this summer is a clothes line. It may sound odd but we are partially set up for and elevator line from the house to the shed. I track my hydro usage and the jumps when the dryer is used is crazy. I hang a lot of the larger items but want the big line set up.

Over all our house is very solid. I had an inspection done and fixed the few things that needed doing immediately like the wiring. Most of the rest is aesthetic with the exception of the water/dampness in the basement. Over time, I’d like to have it looking more like the late 1800s with architectural details.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Over time, I’d like to have it looking more like the late 1800s with architectural details.[/quote]

What does that mean? Stenciling? Plasterwork? Moulding? Tinned/copper ceilings?

I don’t really know my styles by time period very well.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Over time, I’d like to have it looking more like the late 1800s with architectural details.[/quote]

What does that mean? Stenciling? Plasterwork? Moulding? Tinned/copper ceilings?

I don’t really know my styles by time period very well.[/quote]

Our house would be considered late Victorian but without a lot of the fussy detail you see in some. We don’t have the wood gingerbread trim. It’s just as well, I don’t care for that. I’m focusing more on wall colours, painted floors, some wall paper, ceiling medallions around the light fixtures. I might look at a tin ceiling in the bath room.

Most of the rooms aren’t very large but they all have closets which is a bonus in an older house. The master bedroom has a gas fireplace. It’s not working but it’s lovely with ceramic tiles and a brass front plate. I’d love to get it cleaned up and working. It shares the chimney with the livingroom fireplace which does work.

The main floor and second floor have 9’ ceilings so the windows are all tall with long curtains. It has most of the original oak trim 9" high with original interior doors with brass fixtures (handles/plates).

It’s not a large house, approximately 1,800 square feet and similar to most in the neighbourhood so it was likely a middle class residence. There are some huge, beautiful ones in the area with original slate roofs. Sadly many of them are in disrepair.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
The master bedroom has a gas fireplace. It’s not working but it’s lovely with ceramic tiles and a brass front plate. I’d love to get it cleaned up and working. It shares the chimney with the livingroom fireplace which does work.
[/quote]

When we bought our house it had a large woodburner in the livingroom that was piped up through an existing chimney. I took it out, capped the chimney and installed a gas vent free log set in the existing fireplace. Best thing I ever did, we get a lot of use from it and it has actually brought my gas usage down.

You mentioned baseboard heat and no AC. We had the same issue and I had someone install central air and the ran flexible ductwork throughout my very small attic. Another very worthwhile investment.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
The master bedroom has a gas fireplace. It’s not working but it’s lovely with ceramic tiles and a brass front plate. I’d love to get it cleaned up and working. It shares the chimney with the livingroom fireplace which does work.
[/quote]

When we bought our house it had a large woodburner in the livingroom that was piped up through an existing chimney. I took it out, capped the chimney and installed a gas vent free log set in the existing fireplace. Best thing I ever did, we get a lot of use from it and it has actually brought my gas usage down.

You mentioned baseboard heat and no AC. We had the same issue and I had someone install central air and the ran flexible ductwork throughout my very small attic. Another very worthwhile investment.[/quote]

The heat is actually old cast iron radiators which initially annoyed me because they take up a lot of room on the walls and are over waist high. Now I like them and they are part of the age of the home. They are real dust collectors though.

You can actually get split unit ac which is common in Europe since forced air is a north american thing.

Every heat source has it’s pro’s and con’s. Do you have the grate in the floor for cold air return?

We looked into the split AC units but my wife didn’t like the look of them.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

The best thing is that the basement is over 7’ high and fits my home gym. I have my rack and platform set up. It’s not great for overhead work but does okay. With the stone foundation, it really looks like a dungeon.

[/quote]

I agree, this is the best thing. That’s one of the must-haves I’m looking for in my next house, because I want to 1) be able to park in the garage and 2) be able to not freeze my dick off in the winter when I train at home. I would love an 8’ basement.

Well this was my Friday. I took a half day off at work and went at it. This is my second window. I put brick on the bottom side of this one, finding the right sizes of brick took a while ( mortaring is pretty fun, kind of relaxing).

I think it turned out well, but I also don’t have high standards since its the basement. As long as it keeps the bugs and the bad guys out I’m happy.

I also have a 7ft high basement ceiling and plan to get a gym going some day

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:
100 years old you say? Should go up like dried tinder. Check your fire insurance policy first.

But seriously, what elements in the house are crying out for attention? What can you do that will make the home more liveable? I’ve done a good amount of hands-on reno work, and what I’ve learned is that it will take at least twice as long, and cost three times as much, as you originally planned. But, there are few things as satisfying as completing major home improvement projects, especially those that add substantial value to your home.

Get the basic mechanical aspects of the house in proper order, then think about the cosmetic stuff.[/quote]

Not sure what the pic showed, but there was a fire at my house in 2010…nothing too serious (they were home at the time) but the upper floor was redone (new carpet, walls)

I do understand at this point that it is ALL about prioritizing!!! I try to tell my GF that new basement windows are more important than painting

Also my kitchen was completely REDONE (all new appliances)[/quote]

DO NOT LISTEN to your GF on any improvements to a 100 year old house if you have any semblance of know-how in the construction industry and carpentry.

Women may know a bit about colour schemes, wallpaper and furnishings but they will not compromise with you on important things and before you know it, your money is being drained on useless shit that isn’t needed at the time.

Important elements such as the roof, loft space, walls, cavity condition, timber members and insect infestation (if any) should be ticked off first.

You say the place has a basement, is it tanked properly? Could you store stuff down there without rot setting in from damp conditions?

How is the plumbing?

Roofs are going to be one of the biggest investments you can have for a house that old, do not neglect it.

Your GF would not have a grasp over any of this if you had to argue with her over paint and basement windows.

Rather than a scissor-lift, you’d be better off with one of these (we call them “cherry pickers” in the UK). Probably more expensive to hire though.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]cakewalk wrote:
100 years old you say? Should go up like dried tinder. Check your fire insurance policy first.

But seriously, what elements in the house are crying out for attention? What can you do that will make the home more liveable? I’ve done a good amount of hands-on reno work, and what I’ve learned is that it will take at least twice as long, and cost three times as much, as you originally planned. But, there are few things as satisfying as completing major home improvement projects, especially those that add substantial value to your home.

Get the basic mechanical aspects of the house in proper order, then think about the cosmetic stuff.[/quote]

Not sure what the pic showed, but there was a fire at my house in 2010…nothing too serious (they were home at the time) but the upper floor was redone (new carpet, walls)

I do understand at this point that it is ALL about prioritizing!!! I try to tell my GF that new basement windows are more important than painting

Also my kitchen was completely REDONE (all new appliances)[/quote]

DO NOT LISTEN to your GF on any improvements to a 100 year old house if you have any semblance of know-how in the construction industry and carpentry.

Women may know a bit about colour schemes, wallpaper and furnishings but they will not compromise with you on important things and before you know it, your money is being drained on useless shit that isn’t needed at the time.

Roofs are going to be one of the biggest investments you can have for a house that old, do not neglect it.
[/quote]

I agree 1000 times on the roof. I’m often surprised by the number of people who build multi-million dollar homes and cheap out on the roof. It makes me cringe to think about what a leak in the roof will do to very expensive furnishings and interior finishes. They will put down beautiful floors and area rugs and cover it with a poorly done roof.

Signed a woman who sells roofing - not just colour schemes and paint chips :slight_smile: .

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:
Rather than a scissor-lift, you’d be better off with one of these (we call them “cherry pickers” in the UK). Probably more expensive to hire though.[/quote]

We use them a lot here as well. They can typically be rented daily, weekly and monthly. They run about $200/day and $1,500/month but you have to pay a couple of hundred for pick up and delivery.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:
Rather than a scissor-lift, you’d be better off with one of these (we call them “cherry pickers” in the UK). Probably more expensive to hire though.[/quote]

We use them a lot here as well. They can typically be rented daily, weekly and monthly. They run about $200/day and $1,500/month but you have to pay a couple of hundred for pick up and delivery. [/quote]

They are also really operator friendly, at least the ones I’ve used have been.

For now my plan is to see what the lowest quote on gutters will be. After getting some feedback, it clear that I shouldn’t do it myself. If I can’t get a reasonable quote I will do the ground gutters that countingbeans has and was also suggested by my neighbor.

Got a quote today by the first guy to come and actually look at my house…$1,698.00 …yikes

PAGING COUNTINGBEANS

Could you throw up a few pics of your ground gutters??

I’m bumping my old thread.

I need a lot of windows, 102 yr old windows need to go. I just got quoted $6,500 for 8 windows (4X20" wide and 4X30" wide) on my upper floor.

I’ve heard “don’t do your own windows”, I’ve also talked to two people at my work who did their own windows (obviously saving an incredible amount of money).

Has anyone here done their own windows? Did you just do a “pocket install”? Or did you take it down to the rough opening?

The nice old trim on the exterior of my house would be a reason (as I see it) to just do a pocket install on top of being easier and less involving. The sizing might be hard to find with my old house, at first glance I haven’t found anything that would match up nicely at Lowes for example.

What type of windows do you have? Can you just replace the sashes?

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
What type of windows do you have? Can you just replace the sashes?[/quote]
i think it all needs to go, the stops and the opening are just full of old caked on paint and badly damaged and somewhat rotted…they’re 102 yrs old.

At the very least I would replace the whole window, not just the sash

I hate fixer-uppers. Our first house was built in '54. Cool mid-century style, but way too much work renovating.
I foolishly pried up and removed the floor tiles myself (breaking many), before a contractor friend of mine came in and said, “Hey, those are asbestos tiles!”