Home Gym So Far

So I FINALLY bought a home gym…before I even moved into my new home. :wink:

I’m having it shipped there, and I’m driving there next week.

Here’s what I got so far, all from NY Barbell:

C-92552 SUPER POWER RACK

(I didn’t get the lat/row attachment that’s in the picture)

Set of 300lb weights with bar, plus 2 more 45lb plates…

“super bench” adjustable bench.

So far, that’s it.

I ran out of money, and will have to wait until the end of June to get more stuff like padding (I’ll be gentile until then), dip attachment, dragging sled and more weights.

I have about 200-230lbs of Walmart weights, a Walmart EZcurl bar, and 2 adjustable Walmart dumbbells that I will be taking with me too. Since those are my first weights I’ve purchased myself, I’ll keep them in my home gym.

Anything else you guys would add?

It’s going to take a while to afford more stuff after June, so I’ll add a little as I go.

Holy Hell SWR, i was looking at that exact power rack like half an hour ago at their website.

Im looking to set myself up with something this summer, and im seriously thinking about this one, so I’ll have to get your take on it after youve used it for a bit.

–JB

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
Holy Hell SWR, i was looking at that exact power rack like half an hour ago at their website.

Im looking to set myself up with something this summer, and im seriously thinking about this one, so I’ll have to get your take on it after youve used it for a bit.

–JB[/quote]

I’ll definitely let you know how I like it.

I picked that one over any of the topless racks because I knew for sure I would be able to buy the lat/row attachment and/or the cable crossover attachment at a later date, and it would fit onto it.

Looks good man, but you may want to drill a few extra holes at the bottom of that rack =]

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Looks good man, but you may want to drill a few extra holes at the bottom of that rack =][/quote]

Yea, I see what you mean. At first I thought you meant to drill more holes in the feet of it to mount it to the floor, then saw what you meant.

I’ll have to see how low the lowest is, and if I need lower holes for pulling off the pins or floor presses.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Looks good man, but you may want to drill a few extra holes at the bottom of that rack =]

Yea, I see what you mean. At first I thought you meant to drill more holes in the feet of it to mount it to the floor, then saw what you meant.

I’ll have to see how low the lowest is, and if I need lower holes for pulling off the pins or floor presses.[/quote]

LOL, I was thinking more of squats, but that too.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

LOL, I was thinking more of squats, but that too.[/quote]

Dude, how short do you think I am? :wink:

If you buy nybarbells stuff, get if from midwestbarbell.com

Susan Patterson will usually beat their price shipped, and besides being hot and super nice sponsors lifters.

I ordered the squat bar from them on Friday and it was at my door on Monday.

[quote]mattwray wrote:
If you buy nybarbells stuff, get if from midwestbarbell.com

Susan Patterson will usually beat their price shipped, and besides being hot and super nice sponsors lifters.

I ordered the squat bar from them on Friday and it was at my door on Monday.[/quote]

Now you tell me! I still can use them in the future though. I bought from them here in NY, but I’m having it ship to my new house in New Mexico, so I’d imagine midwestbarbell would be a hell of a lot closer.

Thanks for the heads-up. I’m adding them to my favorites so I remember to look them up for my next purchase.

Nice man, I got pretty much the same rack, works great, I want to get the cable attachment soon. First I need a sled, log, and farmers though!
You will like it.

your next purschese should probaly be some powerblocks or those ironmaster ones (I have powerblocks and like them can’t speak for ironmaster but heard good things.)

Having a home gym is awesome so good for you.

In order to add a little diversity, I suggest you eventually purchase a good quality bar like a Texas power bar, Okie bar, etc. You’ll be very pleased once you do.

Also, a couple of 100 pound plates would be a good addition to what you already have.

That way you can set up for supersets or if you happen to train with someone who is stronger or weaker, there won’t be constant plate swapping.

I’ve been more than happy with my home setup and I’m sure you will too.

Holmdog

This is my new favorite thread:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1132144

The powerblocks, or the ironmaster quicklocks look like a good idea. I think natedogg said he likes the ironmasters and I like the video demo on their site.

[quote]holmdog wrote:
In order to add a little diversity, I suggest you eventually purchase a good quality bar like a Texas power bar, Okie bar, etc. You’ll be very pleased once you do.
[/quote]

I agree. Those cheap academy-style bars bend very easy and once bent it sucks trying to squat.

From what I’ve been reading (which isn’t a whole lot), the okie bars are a little thinner, flex more, and are for deadlifting, but some people don’t like the snap they get if they come off the floor fast?

And are the Texas Power bars any thicker than normal? I read somewhere that have “deep diamond knurling”. Are they more for squatting?

At my gym, they have a bar with ball bearings that I love deadlifting with, but I would think it would be expensive.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:

At my gym, they have a bar with ball bearings that I love deadlifting with, but I would think it would be expensive.[/quote]

As soon as you go to the bars with ball bearings the price shoots up significantly. You would only need this sort of bar for O-lifts so that you don’t stuff up your wrists as they allow the sleeves to rotate freely.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
From what I’ve been reading (which isn’t a whole lot), the okie bars are a little thinner, flex more, and are for deadlifting, but some people don’t like the snap they get if they come off the floor fast?
[/quote]

that is right. They kick my ass at every meet I do because I am not used to the whip. Which is why I want one to train with…

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
And are the Texas Power bars any thicker than normal? I read somewhere that have “deep diamond knurling”. Are they more for squatting?[/quote]

The TX power bar is the same size and everything as a regular olympic bar like at the gym, I have one. Generally they get used for bench at meets since there is the big 55lb squat bar for squats and the okie on deads.

the diamond knurling just means the bar won’t slip out of your hands without taking skin with it.

Thanks for the info bg100 and mattwray. Right now I’m just happy to be able to workout at home with decent equipment.

I’ve always wanted to have at least a few bars, but it might take me a while to get them all. At least now I know what to get.

I’m going to do a search about matting. I know a few posts have been made about them, and that something like horse matting is the cheapest. I don’t want to be cracking any concrete (at least until I know if I’m going to buy this house or not).

SWR–You are in New Mexico? Me too. What kind of set up do you have? Looking for a training partner? What city? PM me!