T Nation

Home Gym Poll: Garage or Basement?

My wife and I recently moved into a new house and we just got settled in. Now I’m ready to start setting up my home gym. Where do you guys have your home gym, basement or garage? What do you see as the pros and cons for each?

-Machine

Garage is about ten times easier to get shit in and out of. Plus in the summer you can throw the doors open which is nice. Basements are usually damp and shit rusts, plus it can be a major pain in the ass to get stuff down there. Roof space is generally limited too. I couldn’t do any overhead pressing standing up in the basement gym we had in our house at college.

well we don’t have basements in texas so garage it is.

The basement might tend to be cooler though. The drawbacks have been mentioned of the dampness and such though. In New York you’re going to deal with cold weather either way, so you may be doing yourself a favor in the summer.

Garages make the best home gyms for all the reasons already noted. If you have cold winters, get a kerosene heater.

If you have a patio or yard near your garage, you can take your workout outside when you need to. Grab some big ass dumbbells and walk outside and do shit with them.

Id go with a garage, if you ever want to do any strongman type stuff hauling plates upstairs to do some stuff in your driveway would suck, plus leaving the garge doors open so your neighbors to know you lift real heavy shit and they might leave you alone is nice.

My gym is in my finished basement - there are pics in my profile. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, no dampness.

Had a gym in my garage at my parents house back in the day - too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer…

Very few people have garages in dc so I have my set up in the basement. Which is damp, has low ceilings and is full of spiders.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
My gym is in my finished basement - there are pics in my profile. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, no dampness.

Had a gym in my garage at my parents house back in the day - too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer… [/quote]

My weights are in the basement. My speed bag, freestanding heavy bag and jump rope are in the garage along with some dumbbells.

The garage is great when the temp is right but the basement is always the right temp.

Yeah, no basements in Florida either. If there were, I would choose the basement over the garage.

I have one in the garage and it is great with the exceptions of heat waves in the summer and for the winter I have to keep the bar and dumbbell handles inside. I don’t mind cold, but it’s hard to hold the bar when its like ice.

Walk out basement works good for me. Easy access w/ french doors. Controlled temp.

HOWEVER…Heavy bag shakes the floor system and noise from weights on concrete irritates DW.

Garage would be better for isolating the noise.

[quote]new2training wrote:
Walk out basement works good for me. Easy access w/ french doors. Controlled temp.

HOWEVER…Heavy bag shakes the floor system and noise from weights on concrete irritates DW.

Garage would be better for isolating the noise.[/quote]

this would be ideal

When you start putting your home gym together don’t let happen to me happen to you. It started in my basement, then flowed into my garage, then the collection of tires and sledge hammers spread into the driveway. Full blown equipment junkie.

skynett: great gym but you need some vomit and chalk stains on the carpet.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
well we don’t have basements in texas so garage it is. [/quote]

What about the basement in the Alamo?