T Nation

Home Gym Plan

Hi friends,

Before I spend a whole lot of money on my new home gym set up, I just wanted to run the details with you guys. Please tell me if I am buying something I should not be buying, or if I should be buying something else instead etc…

This is the shopping list;

commercial squat cage(with pull up bar and dip attachment)
adjustable bench
squat box
olympic barbell and dumbells, and 170kg weights package
commercial glute ham raise machine
ironmaster adjustable dumbells
trx suspension system

Im going to buy it from an online warehouse and they are giving me a decent discount. Im also looking at getting some rubber flooring so I can do my trademark walking lunges, but I think I might try a local rubber store to save on freight costs.
Please assess my list and give me recommendations before I make such a large investment.

Thanks in advance.

tweet

Maibe some bands/chains if you want to have some fun, also a belt to add weight do dips/chins.

From that list I would personally only get:

commercial squat cage(with pull up bar and dip attachment)
adjustable bench

olympic barbell and dumbells, and 170kg weights package

and use the excess money to buy more weights, you will out grow 170kgs very quickly.

Also, I am sorry but you have been a member since 2009 yet you are still one of the skinniest posters on this site (see deadlift video) - based on this what justification to you have for spending all this money on a home gym?

I just don’t see the sense in wasting the money when you could simply join a gym to satisfy your training and have the flexibility of withdrawing from your membership without losing thousands. /rant.

^^
Lolz

Just prioritise:

  1. Awesome Bar
  2. As much weight as you can afford
  3. Power rack w/ dip/pullup
  4. Adjustable Bench

With just the above you can run 5/3/1 / similarly simple programmes and get much stronger etc. etc. but depending on how you train you may have to spend a hell of a lot to get a complete setup

[quote]Shontayne wrote:
and use the excess money to buy more weights, you will out grow 170kgs very quickly.[/quote]

Not likely. This is tweet tweet man we’re talking about who over analyzes everything and anything. 170kg is likely to last him a lifetime.

Are you buying all this at once? I’m planning to get a setup at home too but just starting out with the very minimum then adding onto that slowly. Still keeping gym membership so I guess the other consideration is do you have anywhere else to workout or is it just home or nothing?

Dipping belt should be added.

Shontayne- Buddy, Im a semi pro soccer player. Im on a program similar to DeFranco’s plan for football players. I only lift 3 -4 times a week. I dont deadlift at the moment due to a lower back injury(although I hope to deadlift again), but thats why Im going to get a glute ham machine so I got something to help with my posterior chain development. And plus I like the variety.

LiquidMercury- 170kg is a bit lightweight, although it will do for the moment. In 6 months time or so, I can easily add another 30-40kg in plates if required. Im no lightweight fool.

Sufiandy- Yer, I want to buy this all at once. I already do have a home setup, but Im relocating and want to start from scratch. At the moment I only have a cheap bench, small barbell, dumbells and pull up bar. I do have access to a gym in my new town, although as I am moving to a country towm the gyms hours are more restricted than normal. I will probably visit the gym once every 2 weeks, just to get out of the “cage”, and so I can do some facepulls.

tweet

Here Bird, save your cash…this’ll do you fine…

Once you surpass the 5 lb blue dumbbells you can upgrade to the 6 lb pink dumbbells…

^lol, I had that Hulkamania workout set! Actually found the training poster in my parents’ basement a few weeks back… ahh what memories.

For the record, I also had the Incredible Hulk inflatable muscle shirt :slight_smile:

S

Screw you guys! Im making the order tomorrow!

tweet

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Here Bird, save your cash…this’ll do you fine…

Once you surpass the 5 lb blue dumbbells you can upgrade to the 6 lb pink dumbbells…

[/quote]

Oh my god, that’s funny, what a world I missed out on by only having the basic tv channels as a kid

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi friends,

Before I spend a whole lot of money on my new home gym set up, I just wanted to run the details with you guys. Please tell me if I am buying something I should not be buying, or if I should be buying something else instead etc…

This is the shopping list;

commercial squat cage(with pull up bar and dip attachment)
adjustable bench
squat box
olympic barbell and dumbells, and 170kg weights package
commercial glute ham raise machine
ironmaster adjustable dumbells
trx suspension system

Im going to buy it from an online warehouse and they are giving me a decent discount. Im also looking at getting some rubber flooring so I can do my trademark walking lunges, but I think I might try a local rubber store to save on freight costs.
Please assess my list and give me recommendations before I make such a large investment.

Thanks in advance.

tweet[/quote]

I think that you just need a power-rack,a barbell,two adjustable dbs (here 20 bucks for two dbs),an adjustable bench, a trap bar ,and some 200kg/420lb disks (pardon,plates LOL),some wooden blocks,an agenda…
if you buy the rack online it is just expensive for a piece of iron,bolt anD screws,if you have an hammersmith near you I can send you my homemade p/rack specs (it costed me 120 bucks and works great).
same for trapbar…
but as already noeted you can have the best tackle in the world but without the will of beating the log it is useless…

[quote]theBird wrote:
Screw you guys! Im making the order tomorrow!

tweet[/quote]