Home Gym: Olympic or Standard Plates?

[quote]splint wrote:
entheogens wrote:
I am going to just be very blunt about this…Standard weights are for weenies. Standard weights are good for people who work out for two weeks and then give up. I know this because every garage/yard sale I have ever been to always is littered with Standard weights. You might as well get your self a set of pink 1.5 pound dumbells as well, preferably with Malibu Barbie decals on them. Guys who use Standard weights wear those fucking metrosexual workout suits and put fucking hairspray on and are called Todd.

Be a man. Get Olympic weights.

Then i must say bro, you must be using standard plates cause you look like a weenie
[/quote]

Disagreeing with someone else’s opinion is fine, but for making fun of someone else’s pics without having pics or vids posted yourself, you’re a pussy… bro.

Don’t listen to these guys they’ve never had a lot of weight on there standard barbell .standard is all I use and been bench pressing over 600lbs on it for awhile now and it isn’t bending no harder then the Olympic bar . The standard is tougher to use also when I use the Olympic bar I can lift more so I stay with the standard cause most of those weights aren’t 45lbs always or something is up.

Sorry didn’t realise it is 8 years later.

Make sure it is not hollow .That’s more likely to snap. You could go to a steel stockist and ask them to sell you some round stock that’s rated higher, then get a good welder to weld the one inch bar to it. you probably want something like 1 1/4 for the bar one is a bit thin. Thing is it won’t spin. So it is like deadweight which is not really a problem . It also won’t have knurling. Keep the standard it for presses , bench presses and dumbbells .

I read on another forum ivanko does standard bars , as does York. They are probably not that cheap. A bog standard bar for OL is quite cheap so take the hit now. How strong or big are you? If you are beginner and /or smaller guy you could stave it off a while. It’s always nice to have two bars , as well you can warm up that way if you are lazy.

John Davis trained with a standard weightset…

But, I still agree you. If all you can get/afford is standard weights then go for it. But, you shouls treat your home gym as an investiment and buy qaulity. Grab a oylimpic bar, especially if you plan on do cleans or snatch variations.