T Nation

Home Gym Olympic Lifting

The facility where I currently workout at and work is being shut down in the middle of March. They have three platforms and three sets of Eleiko training sets for olympic lifting. Once its shut down I won’t have anywhere to do the lifts so I am saving up to get my own set and a platform for lifting in my garage. The sets they have are on lease so I am going to see how much they want but if its too much I am looking at buying the budget set from Wichita Falls Weightlifting.

http://store.wfwclub.com/ulbuse.html
As far as the platform I was thinking of building my own. So, my questions are does anybody have experience with this set of equipment, (I heard it was pretty good quality for the money), and did most of you buy a platform or have one built. Also, any helpful suggestions on steps to building a platform. Sorry for being so long winded.

GSUPike

I know someone in my gym who bought a Pendlay bar. We train on Eleiko Training Bars and use the comp bars the odd time. He said it was just as good (obviously not literally, but close!) and considering how much it costs I think it’s a great option.

The easiest (and most legendary) way to build a home platform is to get 5 pieces of 4x8 plywood.

Put 2 pieces side by side so you’ve an 8 foot square, lay another 2 on top but running the opposite way.

So now you’ve an 8x8 square, 2 sheets thick with the top layer at 90 degress to the bottom.

Get 2 2x8 rubber mats, lay them at either end so that they’re 90 degrees to the top layer. This leaves a gap of 4x8 in the middle, stick a your 5th sheet of plywood there and voila!

you can also buy solid rubber composition plates by york, you can get them at ironmind.com, they work on any surface without damage to the weights, bar or floor. $1400 for bar and 150kg. thats what i have in my gym.

Thanks for the info and help guys. Hanley, that sounds great for the platform.

i have the pendlay bar and love it. a very good value. platform is easy to build, just follow hanleys instructions and you’re ready to go

[quote]GSUPike wrote:
Thanks for the info and help guys. Hanley, that sounds great for the platform.[/quote]

I wish I could claim credit but it’s a pretty long standing how-to at this stage. I’m sure if you google it you’ll come up with pictures and full instructions on how to secure everything.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
i have the pendlay bar and love it. a very good value. platform is easy to build, just follow hanleys instructions and you’re ready to go[/quote]

I have the same and I really like it. Shit, you can start to see where I grip the bar because I use it so much. Glen Pendlay is really easy to deal with, also.

I just use the mats from the tractor supply store for my platform. It seems to be working fine.

Try

http://www.therubberman.com/WeightPlates.asp

great set for the home gym!!!

Here’s Randall Strossen’s original article from MILO that has the full instructions for what Hanley summarised:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=892104&page=0

[quote]GSUPike wrote:
The facility where I currently workout at and work is being shut down in the middle of March. They have three platforms and three sets of Eleiko training sets for olympic lifting. Once its shut down I won’t have anywhere to do the lifts so I am saving up to get my own set and a platform for lifting in my garage. The sets they have are on lease so I am going to see how much they want but if its too much I am looking at buying the budget set from Wichita Falls Weightlifting.

As far as the platform I was thinking of building my own. So, my questions are does anybody have experience with this set of equipment, (I heard it was pretty good quality for the money), and did most of you buy a platform or have one built. Also, any helpful suggestions on steps to building a platform. Sorry for being so long winded.

GSUPike[/quote]

Funny, you can get a male or female set. I wonder if the female set comes with pastel colored plates.

Hmm. a few months ago I bought Bumpers from Jesper (I’m pretty sure that’s the right name). I just did a search and couldn’t find them. Does anyone know if they went out of business?

[quote]on edge wrote:
Hmm. a few months ago I bought Bumpers from Jesper (I’m pretty sure that’s the right name). I just did a search and couldn’t find them. Does anyone know if they went out of business?[/quote]

Jessups Gym?

The “womens” set comes with a 15kg bar which is thinner than mens bars.

Rex has been in business as long as I can remember and literally his businesses are a mecca in Jesup, IA.

Great folks to deal with.

Thanks guys, me bad memory.

[quote]jsal33 wrote:
Try

http://www.therubberman.com/WeightPlates.asp

great set for the home gym!!! [/quote]

Don’t bother buying Kraigburg bumpers. We have about 6 sets of the 10’s at my Universities gym and we are close to giving them back to the company. They are too thin, the hole for the sleeve is not standard width for OL barbells, and they metal sleeve keeps falling out. We broke one the first time it was dropped from overhead!

Those plates are NOT worth buying. Better off finding used one. Hell, FDU is selling some that we have that are cracked but still usable (just not in our weightroom as we have well over 100 athletes using the equipment a day.

[quote]on edge wrote:
GSUPike wrote:

GSUPike

Funny, you can get a male or female set. I wonder if the female set comes with pastel colored plates.
[/quote]

women use a 15kg bar that is thinner. Men use a 20kg bar and its thicker.

would be funny if they did come w/ pastels though !

Be certain what is under your platform or your floor could end up like this. I just help a friend repair and strengthen this gym floor.