T Nation

Home Gym, No Rack

I’m about to start my own home gym in an extra garage at my house. In the next couple weeks I will buy a bar along with about 400 pounds of weight. However, I won’t have enough money for a rack for a while. Any suggestions as to what lifts I can do without a rack?

How much money do you have? You can get a rack off of craigslist for $150-$200 if you are patient and keep checking. You can also get weights for 50 cents/pound if not cheaper.

I get about $250 spending money a month

[quote]Jathan.young wrote:
Any suggestions as to what lifts I can do without a rack?[/quote]
Plenty of options, actually.

These articles have some good ideas:

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/1400
(^ Click “oldest first” to read Wendler’s actual article.)

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Jathan.young wrote:
Any suggestions as to what lifts I can do without a rack?[/quote]
Plenty of options, actually.

These articles have some good ideas:

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/1400
(^ Click “oldest first” to read Wendler’s actual article.)[/quote]

Yeah I’m pretty sure I’m gonna do Wendlers 5/3/1

I bought a tow strap, about 16ft, 20$, I hang it over the rafters, or if drywall, use byccicle hooks screwed into rafters, it has a loop stitched in each end, I hoop this over the ends of the bar, and adjust length by how maney times I wrap around the joice. The bar hangs about waist level to squat and dosn’t bother me a bit while squating, I raise it a couple inches when I bench so it just touches my chest, but will hang at my neck if I get stuck.

Other than having to get used to startting my squat at the bottom, this system works awesome, and stays out of the way when I need my garage. You could probably use some good rope, and tie a loop in each end, it just wouldn’t look as cool. When my wife gets home, I’ll try to put some pics up.Goodluck

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
When my wife gets home, I’ll try to put some pics up.Goodluck[/quote]

Yeah I think I know what you are saying but pics would be helpful

For $250 off craigslist I got the following:

-275lbs of weight
-7 ft barbell
-bench
-squat rack w/ pull up bar
-weight tree
-EZ curl bar
-clips
-Cheap flooring mats

for another $175 I got
-A benching rack (could use for squats, just not stand inside) w/ lat pulldown bar
-175lbs of olympic weight and 125lbs of standard weight
-7 ft barbell
-bench
-EZ curl bar
-Clips

The only thing I spent a lot of money on was my Powerblocks and Prowler.

this is the best i could do, shows how I throw the strap up over rafters, and how hoop in strap slides over end of bar, to adjust length of strap wrap around rafter more. I think a good rope, or two shorter ropes, hung bar witdh apart might work aswell. This isn’t ideal but for 20$ I feel safe training alone at home, and it’s not in the way when I need to bring car in. Goodluck

Download a copy of Dan John’s “From the Ground Up” it’s free and full of gold