T Nation

Home Gym for My Goal

[quote]light_night wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

nd
why all the best bodybuilder always use curl extension and leg press any reason ?
[/quote]

All the best bodybuilders got very strong on the big, basic barbell lifts. Arnold, Ronnie Coleman and Dorian Yates all could bench 500 and deadlift 600+

You can get in fantastic shape with just a barbell…

[/quote]
but ronnie arnold and everyone has done leg curl/extension etc so it isnt good example dont u think?
anyway do u think i shold keep using my bench attachment leg curl extension or leave it ?
(nice article but i like to do my routine like that :
1.chest
2.quad
3.rest
4.back
5.hamstring
6.bicep tricep
every first exersice is compound example quad day 5x5 squat
hamstring day 5x5 of sumo deadlift etc…[/quote]

by all means do a bit of leg curls etc at the end of your workout but heavy basic lifts are the corner stone of getting huge.

rant at 7.30 onwards…

nd
why all the best bodybuilder always use curl extension and leg press any reason ?
[/quote]

All the best bodybuilders got very strong on the big, basic barbell lifts. Arnold, Ronnie Coleman and Dorian Yates all could bench 500 and deadlift 600+

[/quote]
but ronnie arnold and everyone has done leg curl/extension etc so it isnt good example dont u think?
anyway do u think i shold keep using my bench attachment leg curl extension or leave it ?
(nice article but i like to do my routine like that :
1.chest
2.quad
3.rest
4.back
5.hamstring
6.bicep tricep
every first exersice is compound example quad day 5x5 squat
hamstring day 5x5 of sumo deadlift etc…[/quote]

by all means do a bit of leg curls etc at the end of your workout but heavy basic lifts are the corner stone of getting huge.

rant at 7.30 onwards…

[/quote]
ok done !! sory for digging :S
just thought that if i will not do leg curl and extension i will get big upper body and chichekn legs :S i really dont want it like that

In theory, you could just bench, row and squat and get muscular all over your body. You definitely won’t get chicken legs from ‘just’ squatting. Squats are the one thing you really should do; leg extensions and curls are just the icing.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
In theory, you could just bench, row and squat and get muscular all over your body. You definitely won’t get chicken legs from ‘just’ squatting. Squats are the one thing you really should do; leg extensions and curls are just the icing.[/quote]
ty man u made me so happy :smiley:
now i know i have all the equipment to gte good resulty

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
In theory, you could just bench, row and squat and get muscular all over your body. You definitely won’t get chicken legs from ‘just’ squatting. Squats are the one thing you really should do; leg extensions and curls are just the icing.[/quote]
just want to correct u ,
i just have checked it and everybodybuilder in the 70s has done leg curl and extension or the ppl write the routine just lie

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
just want to correct u ,
i just have checked it and everybodybuilder in the 70s has done leg curl and extension or the ppl write the routine just lie
[/quote]
Two points:

1. Yes, pro bodybuilders do lots of isolation exercises. They’re also already huge. When you get that big then you probably need to start worrying about doing the right isolation exercises. Up until then, concentrate on the basics.

2. Why are you panicking about leg curls and extensions? You said you’ve got a bench attachment that lets you do them, so if you think you need them then do some.

[quote]Feline wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
just want to correct u ,
[/quote]
Two points:

1. Yes, pro bodybuilders do lots of isolation exercises. They’re also already huge. When you get that big then you probably need to start worrying about doing the right isolation exercises. Up until then, concentrate on the basics.

2. Why are you panicking about leg curls and extensions? You said you’ve got a bench attachment that lets you do them, so if you think you need them then do some.[/quote]
    yes i have leg curl and extension attachment to bench but it isnt proffesional like in the gym and ppl told me it is bad exresices coz u dont have all the rom like in the gym so i dont know if to do them or not :S
    another points : ppl say it is only for pump so why pump need full rom lol ?

[quote]Feline wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
just want to correct u ,
[/quote]
Two points:

2. Why are you panicking about leg curls and extensions? You said you’ve got a bench attachment that lets you do them, so if you think you need them then do some.[/quote]
    yes i have leg curl and extension attachment to bench but it isnt proffesional like in the gym and ppl told me it is bad exresices coz u dont have all the rom like in the gym so i dont know if to do them or not :S
    another points : ppl say it is only for pump so why pump need full rom lol ?[/quote]

As everyone on here has told you, you can get very big and strong with what you’ve already got.

You’re arguing that your routine might be better with leg curls and extensions, and then are arguing that leg curls and extensions might be better with better equipment. Yes, they might, but it’s a small issue. Do you have the money and space to easily buy some professional isolation machines? If so, go and buy some, otherwise stop debating and go and lift.

As far as worrying about what will get you to your absolute genetic potential the best, there are a million things you could do. Hire one of the best nutrition coaches in the world. Hire one of the best training coaches in the world. Hire one of the best massage therapists. Get a professional chef to make the food your nutrition coach suggests. Get extensive genetic and endocrine testing and use that to figure out exactly which supplements are perfect for you. Quit your job and hire people to make your life awesome and stress free to maximise your training response.

You could spend hundreds of millions on doing things that would slightly increase the effectiveness of your training, but they’d only have a very small effect compared to that you get from going out and lifting with good basic equipment.

[quote]Feline wrote:

[quote]Feline wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
just want to correct u ,
[/quote]
Two points:

another points : ppl say it is only for pump so why pump need full rom lol ?[/quote]

As everyone on here has told you, you can get very big and strong with what you’ve already got.

You’re arguing that your routine might be better with leg curls and extensions, and then are arguing that leg curls and extensions might be better with better equipment. Yes, they might, but it’s a small issue. Do you have the money and space to easily buy some professional isolation machines? If so, go and buy some, otherwise stop debating and go and lift.

As far as worrying about what will get you to your absolute genetic potential the best, there are a million things you could do. Hire one of the best nutrition coaches in the world. Hire one of the best training coaches in the world. Hire one of the best massage therapists. Get a professional chef to make the food your nutrition coach suggests. Get extensive genetic and endocrine testing and use that to figure out exactly which supplements are perfect for you. Quit your job and hire people to make your life awesome and stress free to maximise your training response.

You could spend hundreds of millions on doing things that would slightly increase the effectiveness of your training, but they’d only have a very small effect compared to that you get from going out and lifting with good basic equipment.

[/quote]
ok ty mate just wanted to hear that these exersices really not so important that i will get like these guys who has chicken legs and big upper body, so now i know it isnt going to be , ty

I don’t have chicken legs. I squat and deadlift. I don’t do leg extensions.

/thread

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

/thread[/quote]

But… you must be lying… Jay and Kai and… respected coaches like Tony Gentilcore and DeFranco… and…

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

/thread[/quote]

But… you must be lying… Jay and Kai and… respected coaches like Tony Gentilcore and DeFranco… and…[/quote]
u dont need to kidding , there are ppl who understand less than u :S
dont forget thet when u started bb u was the same

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

/thread[/quote]

But… you must be lying… Jay and Kai and… respected coaches like Tony Gentilcore and DeFranco… and…[/quote]
dont forget thet when u started bb u was the same [/quote]

I didn’t know anything when I started lifting. The first year I lifted, I did cable crossovers, leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses, preacher curls, reverse curls, every form of triceps extensions, etc. I did every single exercise I could imagine.

Now, I use less than 15 lifts, and only 6 or 7 are important. Military Press, Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift, Rows, Pullups. Everything else is significantly less important. Things like curls and extensions can be useful, but are certainly waaaaay down the list. They are an afterthought, ESPECIALLY for a beginner.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

/thread[/quote]

dont forget thet when u started bb u was the same [/quote]

Just so you know, that wasn’t completely directed toward you.

Everything you’re asking is fine, but pretty much everyone is telling you the same thing.

Every pro bodybuilder has been doing this for many many years, so what you see them doing in the videos isn’t necessarily what got them to where they are now. They spent years building up their size, now, they’re just working on the details.

Leg extensions and leg curls help fill out the details, but you need to put on size first.

When you’re starting out, to put the most size on your legs as quickly as possible, you start out with back squats. Then, once you see how your body grows… whether the growth is more on the front of your legs or the back of your legs, or whether it’s even [and everyone is different]… you can start looking at different variations that target your legs, such as front squats and romanian deadlifts. Then, once you have a good basis of size, and you want to target this or that specific muscle in your legs (not just “the quads”, but an actual, specific muscle within the quads), then you use other variations and tools such as leg extensions or leg curls.

All the tools work, but some are better for overall growth, and some are better for filling in the details.

Right now, you need to focus on overall growth… and that’s going to come from doing heavy compound movements that target your legs: squats and deadlifts; your back: deadlifts, pullups and rows; your chest, shoulders and arms: bench press and overhead press.

Once you have a foundation, then you can start “sculpting” that muscle with more specialized movements.

But you need the foundation first.

ty guys ,
anyway leg curl/extension are exersices for pump and warm up from what i understood so anyway u dont need really full rom just pumping do i right ?

ty guys ,
anyway leg curl/extension are exersices for pump and warm up from what i understood so anyway u dont need really full rom just pumping do i right ?[/quote]

IT DOESN’T MATTER. GO LIFT.

nd
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good point, Ronnie deadlifted 800 for two reps in one of his documentaries. So you figure he must’ve deadlifted heavy regularly throughout his whole career

You guys are all much more patient than me, big props to everyone who responded helpfully in this thread