Home Gun Manufacture

[quote]Makavali wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
So the criminals still have guns and use them. Got it. Meanwhile, your “democratic” government doesn’t give you the right to defend yourself the way English despots did after the signing of the Magna Carta.

Actually, the police have the guns. Even black market guns are ridiculously expensive and hard to procure. The police get taxpayer funded M16’s.[/quote]

What were you saying about gangs having them, then?

Yeah, that’s how it works. The cops get their black rifles and get to do what they want while you get to hope they remain honest. It’s kind of like how only nobility were allowed the use of crossbows in feudal times.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:

Yeah, that’s how it works. The cops get their black rifles and get to do what they want while you get to hope they remain honest. It’s kind of like how only nobility were allowed the use of crossbows in feudal times. [/quote]

I guess we’re not so jaded on our opinion of our police force.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:

Yeah, that’s how it works. The cops get their black rifles and get to do what they want while you get to hope they remain honest. It’s kind of like how only nobility were allowed the use of crossbows in feudal times.

I guess we’re not so jaded on our opinion of our police force.[/quote]

You might not be jaded in your opinion of your police, but you New Zealanders have been brainwashed into thinking that you and your neighbors can’t be trusted, while the police are perfect.

In America we are not jaded, it’s just that we find blind faith in authority naive. While skepticism is healthy. Besides the police are supposed to be our servant and “we the people” are their master. A master should be able to make their servant obey them.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
You might not be jaded in your opinion of your police, but you New Zealanders have been brainwashed into thinking that you and your neighbors can’t be trusted, while the police are perfect.[/quote]

The police are far from perfect, and everyone I know thrusts their neighbor. All assault rifles are limited to the Armed Offenders Squad though. The Police aren’t ALL armed and the ones that are carry 9mm pistols and (potentially) tasers.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Sifu wrote:
You might not be jaded in your opinion of your police, but you New Zealanders have been brainwashed into thinking that you and your neighbors can’t be trusted, while the police are perfect.

The police are far from perfect, and everyone I know thrusts their neighbor. All assault rifles are limited to the Armed Offenders Squad though. The Police aren’t ALL armed and the ones that are carry 9mm pistols and (potentially) tasers.[/quote]

“everyone I know thrusts their neighbor”. You must know some horny people or have some hot neighbors.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
“everyone I know thrusts their neighbor”. You must know some horny people or have some hot neighbors. [/quote]

Damn! Best spelling mistake I’ve ever made! But on that note, I have done the horizontal tango with both of my neighbors daughters.

Good times.

I’ve got some neighbors and coworkers I’d like to thrust.

I’m assuming the gun murder stats differ from deaths involving guns? Accidental and so forth.

Back to the original point of this thread.

Does anyone have any insights into designing and machining guns at home? We all need to become John Browning, each and every one of us.

[quote]sands wrote:
I’m assuming the gun murder stats differ from deaths involving guns? Accidental and so forth.[/quote]

Very much so. A murder represents the deliberate, intentional, misuse of a firearm against someone who cared about their life.

A suicide on the other hand represents someone who did not care about their life and threw it away. Gun control advocates like to lump suicides in with murders because it makes the things seem worse than they really are.

One of the arguements for gun control is that America has the highest suicide rate with guns. But if you ever look at how America compares to other coutries for overall suicides, ie hanging, or a handful of pills and a fifth of wiskey, etc… you will see that America ranks 43 in the world just ahead of Australia which is 44, Canada is 40, New Zealand is 38, Japan is 10.

Suicides should have no place in the debate really, because it is putting the life of someone who doesn’t give a damn about their life, before the self defensive needs of someone who cares very much about their life.

I could really care less about the murder stats per capita / gun ownership per capita. It’s irrelevant to me. I, as a human, have the right to defend myself and my family, whether the government says so or not.

My preferred means of doing so is a Remington 870 because I see no reason why I ought to get hurt when an intruder is in my house. If the government doesn’t like it, I choose not to obey.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Back to the original point of this thread.

Does anyone have any insights into designing and machining guns at home? We all need to become John Browning, each and every one of us. [/quote]

There is not much restriction on actually making your own. The most important rules are the same ones that apply to eligibility to purchase. Or in other words if you are not legally disqualified from gun ownership you can nake your own.

I have a friend who owns a machine shop who did a lot of development work for Stoner back in the 60’s. One thing I learned from him is that BATF can track who made what by comparing machine marks to tooling in the workshop.

So you don’t want to just start making gifts for all your friends and aquaintances. So this is very much a personal use situation. Otherwise you can get into a lot of trouble.

Besides knowing how to do the machining, it is advisable to learn the fine art of how to use a file. Most people do not know proper tool handling when it comes to using files.

In the hands of someone who does not know what they are doing a file is a crude instrument. But in the hands of a master, a file is a precision tool that can produce works of art.

Interesting. So changing tooling every so often is probably a good idea.

Obviously, one can get into a lot of trouble making stuff for other people now. But the point is, they’re not going to stop trying to revoke the 2nd amendment. In the UK and Europe, the penalties for breakign the law are a lot lower than here.

I wonder if he still has the blueprints to the AR-18 laying around. Right now, I think only Bushmaster is making it.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
I could really care less about the murder stats per capita / gun ownership per capita. It’s irrelevant to me. I, as a human, have the right to defend myself and my family, whether the government says so or not.

My preferred means of doing so is a Remington 870 because I see no reason why I ought to get hurt when an intruder is in my house. If the government doesn’t like it, I choose not to obey. [/quote]

Just remember that even dirtbags have friends and family. So don’t be too quick to smoke someone. Because the police will have to confiscate the firearm for their investigation of the shooting. Even if you have an arsenal at home shooting someone causes bad blood. So a little Christian mercy can do wonders. :slight_smile:

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
I have a friend who owns a machine shop who did a lot of development work for Stoner back in the 60’s.

I wonder if he still has the blueprints to the AR-18 laying around. Right now, I think only Bushmaster is making it. [/quote]

The scraps bin was interesting.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:

My preferred means of doing so is a Remington 870 because I see no reason why I ought to get hurt when an intruder is in my house. If the government doesn’t like it, I choose not to obey.

Just remember that even dirtbags have friends and family. So don’t be too quick to smoke someone. Because the police will have to confiscate the firearm for their investigation of the shooting. Even if you have an arsenal at home shooting someone causes bad blood. So a little Christian mercy can do wonders. :)[/quote]

Totally agree. I’m definitely not one of those “shoot first ask questions later” people.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
I have a friend who owns a machine shop who did a lot of development work for Stoner back in the 60’s.

I wonder if he still has the blueprints to the AR-18 laying around. Right now, I think only Bushmaster is making it.

The scraps bin was interesting.[/quote]

Well, the AR-18 is leading the race for a rifle to copy in my mind. I think the lower could be made out of plastic (glass filled nylon), also. I’ve heard machining nylon is somewhat difficult though.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Sifu wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
I could really care less about the murder stats per capita / gun ownership per capita. It’s irrelevant to me. I, as a human, have the right to defend myself and my family, whether the government says so or not. My preferred means of doing so is a Remington 870 because I see no reason why I ought to get hurt when an intruder is in my house. If the government doesn’t like it, I choose not to obey.

Just remember that even dirtbags have friends and family. So don’t be too quick to smoke someone. Because the police will have to confiscate the firearm for their investigation of the shooting. Even if you have an arsenal at home shooting someone causes bad blood. So a little Christian mercy can do wonders. :slight_smile:

Totally agree. I’m definitely not one of those “shoot first ask questions later” people. [/quote]

I do think you are more level headed. I posted that because there is always some jerk in Texas who feels the need to reinforce stereotypes and make it look like anyone who wants a gun for home defense is just a redneck cowboy trying to relive the wild west and indiscriminately shoot anyone who gives them the opportunity.

A couple of years ago in the city of Detroit I have witnessed an attempted mugging/possible car jacking get fended off by a handgun that wasn’t fired. Since nobody actually got hurt it ended up being quite funny.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
Sifu wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:

Totally agree. I’m definitely not one of those “shoot first ask questions later” people.

I do think you are more level headed. I posted that because there is always some jerk in Texas who feels the need to reinforce stereotypes and make it look like anyone who wants a gun for home defense is just a redneck cowboy trying to relive the wild west and indiscriminately shoot anyone who gives them the opportunity.

A couple of years ago in the city of Detroit I have witnessed an attempted mugging/possible car jacking get fended off by a handgun that wasn’t fired. Since nobody actually got hurt it ended up being quite funny.
[/quote]

My firearms instructor always told us, “When the bullet leaves the gun, that’s where your problems begin, not end.” Couldn’t be more true.

Guns are more of a deterrent.