T Nation

Home Defense

I read an article written by supposed thieves who outlined what deterred them from breaking into a home. I was surprised that they mentioned the family rott or pitt wasn’t a deterrent. The common theme actually was a home alarm system.

I’m not interested in your home security system per se, but moreso in what weaponry you choose as your home defender. Hand gun, rifle, shotgun…

I have and prefer the shotgun. Cheap, reliable. And there’s nothing like the effect of the sound of racking a shotgun. And as far as the load, you can’t go wrong with buckshot or a slug.

I’ve been to a few firearms courses over time. I’ve seen a shotgun slug push a level II bullet proof vest through the hole it created in the carrier. Unreal.

What’s your weapon of choice?

My weapon are two big fucking meat-clubs on the end of my arms. I’d like to get a home alarm system, though.

12 gauge combat shotgun

[quote]SSC wrote:
My weapon are two big fucking meat-clubs on the end of my arms. I’d like to get a home alarm system, though.[/quote]

Or just the stickers on your doors. No monthly fees for that…

When my apartment was robbed two years ago, I put razor wire around my windows, but my landlord made me take it down.

Landlords suck. When I rented, I installed a deadbolt and gave the management company the wrong key.

[quote]Kensei wrote:
12 gauge combat shotgun [/quote]

I like the magazine tube extension. I prefer a pistol grip, though.

[quote]Kensei wrote:
12 gauge combat shotgun [/quote]

Just in case any of you were thinking about getting me a christmas present (hint hint).

Baseball bat under my bad…
for when my shit gets teepeed. hell yeah

12 Gauge Mossberg Pump with interchangeable Barrels. 3 inch Hollow Point slugs and 000 Buck shot. Plus my 16 Gauge Side by Side with #1 buckshot if I don’t want to make too big of a mess.

Rock River Arms CAR-A4 Elite w/ EO Tech Holosight

Looking at getting a Glock soon as well.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
When my apartment was robbed two years ago, I put razor wire around my windows, but my landlord made me take it down.[/quote]

When I buy my own house I’m just gonna build a moat with a draw bridge and alligators. Fuck dogs and razor wire.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:

Looking at getting a Glock soon as well.[/quote]

Those EOTech sights are amazing. Sure takes all the guess work out of sight allignment.

I bought a lion.

[quote]5.0 wrote:
njrusmc wrote:

Looking at getting a Glock soon as well.

Those EOTech sights are amazing. Sure takes all the guess work out of sight allignment.[/quote]

Got that right. It’s like playing a video game with the little red cursor on screen, except you always win.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I bought a lion.[/quote]

When that goes bad are you going to get a kung fu monkey?

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
Looking at getting a Glock soon as well.[/quote]

What, 40 or 45 caliber? I’ve got a 22C (40 caliber, compensated barrel and slide). I don’t know what experiences you have, but I don’t recommend the -C designation. It doesn’t make that much of a difference in shooting, and those small compensations are a pain to clean. It also gives a nice upward muzzle flash during night shooting. Doesn’t so much screw up your night vision, but takes away from the tritium sights a bit.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I bought a lion.[/quote]

Bitch, I cloaned a T-Rex and chained his ass to my front yard.

I was thinking 9mm (Glock 17 or 19) or possibly 40. 45 is excessive for my purposes. In combat, a 45 would be nice, fighting a fanatical opponent bent on killing you. A common burglar is not going to be as die-hard about making a few bucks, and 9mm will give me the ability to put the most rounds into the most targets in minimal time. Or just showing the weapon should scare him enough.

I don’t want a mess by ripping limbs off with a 45 at point blank range inside my home. 9mm ammo is generally cheaper too. I live in a police state (NY) so any kind of shooting deaths, even in self defense, are difficult court cases to win. All that “equal force” bullshit. Plus, if the thief is witty and carries a weapon and you kill him with a caliber that is less or equal in size, the court will be more inclined to rule in your favor. In this way, 9mm seems ideal for me. Thanks for the tip though 5.0, appreciate it.

Still considering a 40 though, never fired one (shot 9mm and 45 though).

Dude, you can get past a dog. Nobody fucks with a lion