T Nation

Home Cardio

Hey All!

Any ideas on what cardio i can do in my house/bedroom. it’s quite roomy but not big enough for skipping rope or a machine.

thank you for any help.

Nat

Try doing some complex circuits with sandbags, dumbells, kettlebells, etc.

Grab something heavy and do Tabata front squats.

Burpees. Standing lunges and reverse lunges with dumbbells, Jumping lunges. Mountain climbers. Pop-up jumps. Any or all of the above interspersed with simple side-steps for the rest portion if you’re doing intervals.

burpees. Or go outside and run or jumprope

As goofy as this may sound, even though you can’t jump rope because of space constraints you can probably still jump in place. Now before everyone jumps all over this, I’d like to say that when I was younger and teachign martial arts, I used to try to suffle around while I watched tv.

I wasn’t into bodybuilding yet, so I wasn’t thinking I was doing ‘cardio’, I figured I was just working on my endurance for sparring.

-S

If you have a bike, you can buy a relatively cheap bicycle trainer and turn your bike into a stationary bike.

Bodyweight circuits are perfect. You can use a variety of exercises for different intensities and for different workouts each day.

A good one is a traditional Renegade circuit. It’s set up for 60 seconds of work and 60 seconds of active rest (typical HIIT routine for fat loss). Here’s one:

Burpees - 30 seconds
Mountain Climbers - 30 seconds
Jumping Jacks - 30 seconds
Shuffles - 30 seconds

Try that for a minimum of three sets (6 total minutes nonstop) and work your way up to 6 sets or more. You’ll get in good shape quick.

It looks easy on paper, but it kicks your butt.

[quote]Sarpedon wrote:
Hey All!

Any ideas on what cardio i can do in my house/bedroom. it’s quite roomy but not big enough for skipping rope or a machine.

thank you for any help.

Nat[/quote]

What about just going for a brisk walk outside? You can even do HIIT cardio if you like. Sprint then walk.

Olesya

You could try stepups. A sturdy wooden chair works, or find some flights of steps.

[quote]Olesya Novik wrote:
Sarpedon wrote:
Hey All!

thank you for any help.

Nat

What about just going for a brisk walk outside? You can even do HIIT cardio if you like. Sprint then walk.

Olesya

[/quote]

Yeah, right! Like that’s going to build a body like yours! :wink:

[quote]MCS wrote:
Grab something heavy and do Tabata front squats.[/quote]

This works great. Hell just bodyweight tabata squats kill. Thrusters work well too.

[quote]olinerules87 wrote:
burpees. Or go outside and run or jumprope[/quote]

my neighbor does this. he goes into the middle of the road at about 5 a.m. and skips rope for about 30 minutes. when i first moved to the neighborhood i thought he might be some insane homeless person. but it all makes sense to me now.

wow! thanks for all the help guys, have taken note of all and will start tomorrow.

thanks!
cold and fast

Nat

I’ve had my son doing P90X to get ready for football. I do it with him and it will definitely get your heart rate up. The goal of the program is muscle confusion, btw. If you follow a set program, you’ll plataeu pretty quickly. P90X uses 12 different workouts.

Google P90X and see for yourself. And yeah I know…its not hardcore…doing set after set of chins, pushups of all sorts, rows, …its for wimps.

Hip Hop Abs

ok, so i tried out most of these and found the tabata thrusts to be best, followed by burpees.

my legs are now on fire and my heart pounding in my ears.

awesome job guys, thank you very much.

Cold and Fast
Sarpedon