Home Cardio Equipment?

[quote]JPBear wrote:
Remember guys, Jillybop has two little ones. It can be hard to do outside cardio when you have young kids.[/quote]

You must have well behaved children if your still looking for more cardio. My wife looks like she ran a marathon by the time I get home and we only have one monster right now.

Bullpup

Thanks for all the great info! I’m inspired to give jumping rope a solid try while keeping an eye out for a good used machine at a bargain price.

I can’t leave the house for the early morning workouts (and I can’t be too noisy, lol). I do like taking both kids for a walk in the double-stroller, it’s a good workout, weather-permitting.

Here’s another question… Why are some weights called “olympic” and some are not? How do I know what is a quality weight set and bar? Are the bar/hole sizes different?

I agree with the positive comments on the Concept2 rower. It’s truly gym-quality; you will not wear it out. You can do high and low intensity workouts on it. It’s low-impact, and makes a nice change to treadmill / running workouts.

Should find some good ones on eBay…?

I have one (not for sale :-), so if you want to know more / pictures / specs / questions etc. let me know.

Happy huntin’ :slight_smile:

WiZ

I train mostly at home.

I have been considering getting a Concept II rower. But, for the most part, I get my cardio sparring one or two days a week, then supplementing with a “park” workout where I take some dumbells, kettlebells, and sandbags to the park and do circuits, which include sprints with the sandbags (very good for getting the heart rate up quickly).

When I am feeling lazy or just want to listen to tunes, I head to a local gym and sit on a stationary bike for interval training and “people watch.”

Jilly, you may not be expecting this, but I am going to recommend:

1. Adjustable Kettlebell
  2. Home-made sandbag

Reasons for the recommendation:

1. You can do a variety of exercises with these. Squat, DL, lunges, OH press, throw, drag, farmers walk, you name it.

2. They allows you to progressively overload by either increasing reps/duration or by adding small amount of weights.

3. They are not expensive compared to cardio machines. Especially if you have some old dumbbell plates to recycle fot the adjustable KB. And last time I checked, sand is still cheap.

4. Exercises can be done anywhere. Quite a good workout when done at your own garden at a sunny day.

5. They don’t take much space to store.

For the record, I have a pair of adj KBs and a homemade sandbag. I even made one for my parents, which they seem enjoy using it.

Hope it helps,

Geek boy

[quote]Jillybop wrote:

Here’s another question… Why are some weights called “olympic” and some are not? How do I know what is a quality weight set and bar? Are the bar/hole sizes different?[/quote]

basically yeah. If you want bars then you need olympic bars and if you want dumbells for them id recommend “fat bars” a nice thick handles…
anyways…

Go with the rower jilly.
Ans i’d DEFINATLEY go for one of the jump ropes i talked to you about. Buddy lee is the shiz.

A home gym is perfect, I bought everything from ebay too. If you need to add something for a reasonable price you should go to Play it Again. It’s not new but who cares.

I don’t like machines, when the weather is bad I run the stairs in my house for some cardio. I have three of them and 10 minutes gives you a nice (cardio) workout.
good luck.

I see two used Concept2 rowers for sale near me for $500 and $550. Depending on the condition, is this a good price? Thanks again!

are they a model C or D?

Here in the UK Model C’s go for ?450-550 depending on factors (Second hand). D’s would fetch ?750-?1000 second hand or new. With the exchange rate being like it is between the ? and $ you can see how jelous i am if you can pick one up for $500.

They’re both model C. I haven’t looked at the concept2 site yet to read up on the differences…

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
They’re both model C. I haven’t looked at the concept2 site yet to read up on the differences…
[/quote]

I believe the big difference is the computer.

But, Concept sells the parts to upgrade a C to a D.

The C is good. The D is better - more ergonomic towards the body and a hell of a lot quieter.
A “C” is still more than adequate. Require very little maintenance too.

Regarding the ideas involving a kettlebell or dumbell etc for snatches and swings etc - you can get good results here but be prepared to go through a learning process. Particularly with the KB’s. There cheaper and VERY useful for circuits, GPP etc but for true cardio (Aerobic power and capacity for example), with propper structure (See free handouts on the their website) a concept 2 rower takes some beating.

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
[/quote]

The first thing you’ll find about concept 2 is the ridiculous resale values.

The Model C is no longer in production, but brand new they ran about 800.

The cool thing is that Concept 2 makes every replacement you’ll ever need and they are really cool about helping you out if you ever get stuck doing maintenance.

As long as the chain isn’t rusty, it’s a great price. If you ever get bored with the erg you could probably resell it later on for that same $500.

The other good thing is that you live in Mass., possibly the epicenter of US Rowing, so there are plenty of rowing clubs near you to get instruction on rowing technique. Just head on down to Cambridge and they are all over the Charles.

Hopefully, you’ll give it a shot, it’s a great exercise, and something you can literally do for the rest of your life.

One last thing: if you take to the erg, I highly highly highly recommend getting out on the water. The erg is nice, but rowing on a single scull or a fast 8+ is out of this world.

good luck, and if you need any more info just PM me.

take care.

[quote]supermick wrote:
The C is good. The D is better - more ergonomic towards the body and a hell of a lot quieter.

[/quote]

to be honest, I like the “C” handle way better than the “D” handle.

However, the “D” computer is the business. It’s all about the Log Card and the RowPro interface so you can race people online.

Oh yeah, Jilly, if you end up getting an erg, you’ll note why it’s the best machine.

It’s the damned computer!! - it quantifies your power output (hence the name "erg"ometer - i.e. “work” meter) - so you always know exactly where you stand. Slacking on your training? the computer will tell you. Having a bad day? the computer will tell you. In short. You can’t hide your weaknesses on an erg. The constant feedback is awesome for goal setting and finding out how you stack up against the fastest oarspeople in the world. As fit as you think you are, it will expose you. For some people it’s motivating, for others it drives them away from the machine.

[quote]OARSMAN wrote:
supermick wrote:

to be honest, I like the “C” handle way better than the “D” handle.

However, the “D” computer is the business. It’s all about the Log Card and the RowPro interface so you can race people online.

Oh yeah, Jilly, if you end up getting an erg, you’ll note why it’s the best machine.

It’s the damned computer!! - it quantifies your power output (hence the name "erg"ometer - i.e. “work” meter) - so you always know exactly where you stand. Slacking on your training? the computer will tell you. Having a bad day? the computer will tell you. In short. You can’t hide your weaknesses on an erg. The constant feedback is awesome for goal setting and finding out how you stack up against the fastest oarspeople in the world. As fit as you think you are, it will expose you. For some people it’s motivating, for others it drives them away from the machine.

[/quote]

for 99% of the population all the fancy gadgets are useless.
The beauty of the C2 rower is its simplicity, you only need one or two variables unless your advanced to monitor your progress.
Likewise if you went the cycle and rollers/turbo trainer route - a good heart rate monitor and cycle computer with cadence and your away. No need for all singing and all dancing appliences. They just look pretty.

As if it needs reiteration at this point, rowing is one of the most under-rated forms of cardio in gyms today. You can’t go wrong with the indoor rower. But like with any home equipment, try to test out the actual piece before purchase, if possible.

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
Here’s another question… Why are some weights called “olympic” and some are not? How do I know what is a quality weight set and bar? Are the bar/hole sizes different?[/quote]

Olympic plates have the 2" diameter, Standard plates have 1" holes. Also, Standard bars generally don’t have the rotating ends, like Olympic bars, so they may not feel as smooth in some motions. For recreational (non-competing) lifters such as ourselves, most brands will suffice. It’s hard to find a lousy brand of weights. If it’s metal and pretty heavy, you’re good to go.

Jilly,

I agree with both Nate and Sully. Jumping rope, sprint intervals, swings with kettlebells or dumbbells, and Tabata squats are the best. If you have trouble jumping rope try one of those mini trampolines. I recently got one for myself for like $30. I’ve seen these sell for over $100, but I don’t see the need. The one I bought said it had a weight limit of 220 lbs. I’m 240 and have jumped on it pretty aggressively; so far, it has held up well. I figure, for $30, even if this one wears out, I can get another. I’ve done Mike Mahler’s HOC mixing jumps with kettlebell snatches.

Having said that, if cardio machines motivate you to work out, that’s fine. My wife likes treadmills, so we have one. She also likes ellipticals, so we’ll shortly have one of those as well. What can I say - she likes them, she actually uses them, and has made good progress.

Hey Jill

For what it’s worth, I agree with Geekboy.

The best, most usable cardio “machine” you can get is a good kettlebell, and a homemade sandbag.

I could belabor the reasons here, but mostly your concerns make them ideal.

They don’t take up hardly any room, you can use them in any weather, AND you can do a multitude of things with them.

Ask Dan John. I looked at his “Carried Away” DVD. Excellent. If you have it, start there.

Happy New Year!

Jilly,

Some things to think about if you buy a piece of equipment

a) space, I have a treadmill and its bulky also my basement has low ceiling limiting where it can be used

b) kids climbing on it, mine was the house jungle gym until it went into
the utilty room.

c) what will you do when running on it,
I listen to music but my wife likes to watch the news (tough to see the TV
prior to the move)

Whatever do hope it works for you.

Joe

Versa climber? Its one of the hardest cardio equipments and would be good for HIIT.