Holy Shznit this is an Expensive Hobby!

Im sure some have glanced at how much you spent on this sport but have you really examine your bbing budget?
With the cost of:

-Food
-Supplements
-AAS
-Training
-Dieticians (sic)
-Gym dues
-Gas
-Time

• competition fees (usually $100 per class not including Overall Champ)

…Im like shit… Its starting to seem like this is a rich man’s sport like Yachting.
I hear guys taking out loans from banks to score legitimate HGH; in debt 5 figures over it.
Hell, even I paid my gym dues over my cell phone before!

A guy who is taking AAS is hardly buying as much Supps as the guy who buys Supps but doesnt do AAS.

I always justified it in my own life, because I’ve never been the ‘party guy’. I don’t drink, don’t smoke, hardly did the club thing when I was younger. The indulgences I allowed myself were my training lifestyle (let’s face it, ‘clean’ food is much more costly than crap, plus we eat more of it), and books (of which I own way too many). Both expenses I viewed as self improvement.

Obviously you have to balance everything in your own life, but let’s be honest; if you have a family to support and you’re spending money that could be buying your children better clothing, or school supplies, on PEDs as you chase a pro card, you need to step back for a moment and ask yourself where you’re heading IMO.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I always justified it in my own life, because I’ve never been the ‘party guy’. I don’t drink, don’t smoke, hardly did the club thing when I was younger. The indulgences I allowed myself were my training lifestyle (let’s face it, ‘clean’ food is much more costly than crap, plus we eat more of it), and books (of which I own way too many). Both expenses I viewed as self improvement.

Obviously you have to balance everything in your own life, but let’s be honest; if you have a family to support and you’re spending money that could be buying your children better clothing, or school supplies, on PEDs as you chase a pro card, you need to step back for a moment and ask yourself where you’re heading IMO.

S[/quote]

Exactly! Priorities above all in a healthy relationship between bbing aspirations and living decent. I never had to take away from family to support my personal ambition. I just had to take a step back and look at how much $$$ I spent on me… Just Wow…

I hate that our profiles show our total amount we spent here! Makes me upset every time I look at it haha, but mainly because I know I should have made more progress. Also, I know if I wasn’t spending my money on this hobby it would be spent on other things. I’d probably be really fat, unhealthy, drinking a lot, etc.

As long as I’m saving a certain amount of money each week for school and other important things though, this is money well spent!

I’d say I’m still on the lower side compared to a lot of average gym goers. I never noticed how expensive GNC could be until I compared what he spends compared to what I spend at Biotest (and a few vitamins online).

i only buy whey, fish oil, primrose, and creatine for supps

spent plenty on AAS (though i get a lot for free from being cool with suppliers)

and i spend a lot on food…

the key is buying in bulk, this applies to everything i just mentioned

hgh and peptides are a huge part of what makes bodybuilding expensive… this is why a lot of BBer’s sell drugs/fuck fruit for money… etc…

a top national competitor can spend upwards of 10k just prepping for a show

aside from food i just buy/use whey, fish oil, and creatine. right now i have some leucine laying around but it’s not used a lot. i own my own weights and they get upgraded periodically. if one isn’t actually competing in shows i don’t think that there is an excessive financial cost to bodybuilding. of course, we can always choose to (and sometimes do) spend a little extra here and there, perhaps spoiling ourselves a little. and what’s wrong with that?

BB is privilege, it requires time & excess cash most people have neither.

True, but everyone has their poison. I know of people who wouldnt think twice about feeding $3-400 into a poker machine every weekend. I think most of us will tend to find something to spend money on & have expensive hobbies, restoring old cars, racing motorbikes, boating etc

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:
Im sure some have glanced at how much you spent on this sport but have you really examine your bbing budget?
With the cost of:

-Food

[/quote]

Single largest expense for me second only to my mortgage.

[quote]optheta wrote:
BB is privilege, it requires time & excess cash most people have neither.[/quote]

everyone has time my brotha

I’m with Stu ,about REAL life priorites, then I have to say (i’m a little embarassed writing this)than for me bbing is very cheap; I train in my own (big) garage,my rack has been made from a close friend of mine for 70 bucks LOL,I bought cheap bbs/dbs/plates from EC chain-store (so I don’t have to pay gym fees,here about 70 bucks per month) and don’t use any supplements (also because I eat A LOT of clean/whole food),said this lifting iron is still very important from me so any money in surplus from real life prioritis I would spend it for a gym affiliation…

[quote]buzza wrote:
I’m with Stu ,about REAL life priorites, then I have to say (i’m a little embarassed writing this)than for me bbing is very cheap; I train in my own (big) garage,my rack has been made from a close friend of mine for 70 bucks LOL,I bought cheap bbs/dbs/plates from EC chain-store (so I don’t have to pay gym fees,here about 70 bucks per month) and don’t use any supplements (also because I eat A LOT of clean/whole food),said this lifting iron is still very important from me so any money in surplus from real life prioritis I would spend it for a gym affiliation…[/quote]

70 bucks a month for a membership???

wow mine is $11 LOL (but that’s only cuz mgmt loves me cuz ive gotten them like 8 members)

Gold’s is like $50

Well, for someone who takes it seriously, it sure is a decent amount of money. But, for anyone who competes drug free and at a lightweight, it is not THAT much money.

im also with stu on this one, I seem to justify costs because i dont party, drugs, alcohol etc but when you actually take the time to look at it it sure makes you think twice. As a 21 year old, working full time with a little more then minimum wage salary i am a little embarassed to admit tha almost 1/3 of my months paycheck is spent on quality food, sups, and gym fees.

Not to mention the unfinancial costs of what we do in terms of lifestyle and relationships. Luckily, i have a girl who supports me but even then there has been more then a few times where my lifestyle gets in the way. All in all im sure my costs are alot lower then others but this is the sport we love to do and in alot of ways it is a privilege. Once you take a step back and realize this it makes you appreciate things in a whole new manner.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:
BB is privilege, it requires time & excess cash most people have neither.[/quote]

everyone has time my brotha[/quote]

Maybe…but it does take a shit load of money to actually be “huge”. Food at that size ain’t cheap and if drugs are used, you are looking at near thousands over the course of months.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

everyone has time my brotha[/quote]

If they want it bad enough.

[quote]buzza wrote:
I’m with Stu ,about REAL life priorites, then I have to say (i’m a little embarassed writing this)than for me bbing is very cheap; I train in my own (big) garage,my rack has been made from a close friend of mine for 70 bucks LOL,I bought cheap bbs/dbs/plates from EC chain-store (so I don’t have to pay gym fees,here about 70 bucks per month) and don’t use any supplements (also because I eat A LOT of clean/whole food),said this lifting iron is still very important from me so any money in surplus from real life prioritis I would spend it for a gym affiliation…[/quote]

I pay 25 at 24 hour fitness. 70 bucks makes no sense unless it includes naked stripper masseuses in VIP rooms.