Hollow Pull-Ups?

[quote]ronald1919 wrote:
holy shit this guy talks so much
thx for letting us know that ur doing well at skool brah[/quote]

lol

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
This guy’s back is better than Ronny Rockel’s.[/quote]

Lol, yeah, but Rockel’s muscles just look… different.

S[/quote]
lolol… must have been that teenage PED use.

[quote]buzza wrote:

I viewed this quickly, but if the guy is a Gymnastics coach, and he’s advocating a technique to improve the performance of gymnasts, and not to build as much muscle as possible (as supported by his ‘heavy musculature’), then what service would it be to a bodybuilder?

S[/quote]

MIGHTY,
I agree 110% with you on gymnastic thing but…funny,his way of doing pull-ups it’s very close on your way to do V handle push-downz on the tube,I mean ; elbows in front of your body,“pushing down” with lats not pulling with bis…
just this :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I’ve adopted that approach to pulldowns an effort to prevent my mid-back from taking the stress when my torso naturally tilts back a bit when doing pullups. I imagine that most people naturally tilt in a similar manner when chinning. My recent protocol is to still perform several sets of pullups afterward though, as I figure the isolation that I am able to subject my lats to with the abbreviated ROM and elbow/torso positioning prefatigues them, and I am better able to target the area I want and not just my ‘back’.

S
[/quote]

Right, “hollowing” the back prevents one from leaning back as much while performing pull-ups, thus keeping the movement as more of a strict vertical pulling motion and less of a half way between vertical and horizontal pulling motion (which will recruit the lower traps and mid back to a greater degree). By doing so, the lats are forced to bear a greater portion of the load.

But like you said, this is a case of someone (the OP) taking a perfectly good tool (hollow pull-ups) for their given purpose and asking if it’s the end all be all of lat developing exercises. No one exercise is likely going to be enough to develop a really impressive pair of lats, you’re going to need to hit the muscle from multiple angles using different exercises to do that.

And to be honest, I highly doubt that Slizzardman put that video up on youtube expecting that bodybuilders should adopt that fashion of performing pull-ups to develop huge lats (though, hey, if someone feels like it’s a good lat builder for them then that’s one more exercise in their toolbox). Heck, at the beginning of the video he seems to state pretty clearly that it’s geared towards gymnastic enthusiasts who want to develop greater strength in the hollow position, not a video designed to teach bodybuilders how to build huge lats.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
.and when was there only “one”?[/quote]

2006… during the great Fad Dingleberry muscle building revolution!

It was Fad’s way or the highway for some around here.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Right, “hollowing” the back prevents one from leaning back as much while performing pull-ups, thus keeping the movement as more of a strict vertical pulling motion and less of a half way between vertical and horizontal pulling motion (which will recruit the lower traps and mid back to a greater degree). By doing so, the lats are forced to bear a greater portion of the load.

But like you said, this is a case of someone (the OP) taking a perfectly good tool (hollow pull-ups) for their given purpose and asking if it’s the end all be all of lat developing exercises. No one exercise is likely going to be enough to develop a really impressive pair of lats, you’re going to need to hit the muscle from multiple angles using different exercises to do that.

And to be honest, I highly doubt that Slizzardman put that video up on youtube expecting that bodybuilders should adopt that fashion of performing pull-ups to develop huge lats (though, hey, if someone feels like it’s a good lat builder for them then that’s one more exercise in their toolbox). Heck, at the beginning of the video he seems to state pretty clearly that it’s geared towards gymnastic enthusiasts who want to develop greater strength in the hollow position, not a video designed to teach bodybuilders how to build huge lats.[/quote]

Lol, that’s true :slight_smile: The video is directed towards people who want to build up to higher levels of bodyweight strength, not bodybuilders.

These are definitely just one more tool in the toolbox, there’s no one perfect exercise for back building!

This is a very good tool in the toolbox for bodybuilders who either A) lack lower lat development or B) would like to build up some neat looking skills in the process of building their bodies. They don’t lend themselves well to heavy weighting unless you have a heavy vest to use, the belt chains will just crush your junk eventually… not my preferred outcome!

To use these for bodybuilding you would apply bodybuilding training principles to them… tempo, reps, sets, etc. I would never suggest anyone, bodybuilder or otherwise, abandon arched back pull ups, those are important too.

Thanks for the post!

[quote]ronald1919 wrote:
holy shit this guy talks so much
thx for letting us know that ur doing well at skool brah[/quote]
You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

3 A+, 2 A, 100% win. Kicking ass on the way to medical school! I know, I know, you probably don’t care!

I do use too many words sometimes :slight_smile:

[quote]Slizzardman wrote:
I know, I know, you probably don’t care!
[/quote]

We dont care. Now, be gone.

tweet