Your numbers are looking strong.

Thanks GV I feel like I may be peaking or I hope I am

Meet Prep Week 9 day 2

Bench - wut 315x3x1 full grip sucks
CGBP - high rep stuff
Face Pulls

Pendlays - 245x5x5

Full grip does suck.

And did the Pendlays cause a seizure? Not sure I understand anything after the last “x5”.

Definitely agree full grip sucks.

June 7, 2015 WNPF Battle of the Border:

Soooo, attending this meet was very touch and go. The week prior I was feeling like garbage and last Thursday it came to a creshendo, 102 fever vommitting chills. Stayed home from work Friday and Saturday and was at the point of not attending because of how I felt. Every hour on Saturday I changed my mind. On Sunday, I got up at 7am and felt what I thought was good enough.

Got to weigh ins at 8am. Hit 242 on the nose which I was happy about, because I ate like a gavon because of all the puking. So that went well, proceeded to eat a sausage bacon and cheese omelette and 4 pieces of rye toast after. I was feeling weak and light headed but not sick, I would venture to guess there was 75 lifters there.

Squat - 1st attempt 400 - FAIL! WTF I pick a weight I can triple at, I went down and the bar rolled. I looked at the vid and I knew exactly what I did wrong. Squatting out of the Mono, I didnt walk out which is fine but I didnt set my feet to my comfortable stance, my feet were inside shoulder width! Not a good start and a blow to my confidence.

2nd attempt - 400 3 whites, sunk it like I was playing Battleship. Got set and took my time. I am making a point of not using wraps on my first attempts in squat and I will continue to do so, it gives me extra confidence for when I do use wraps.

3rd attempt - 460 3 whites, no issues, I didnt wipe my ass with ground as in my second but it was more than deep hence the 3 whites. I woud have went for 500 if I didnt fuck up my first attempt.

Bench - HOLY SHIT, it took Over 2 hours for me to do my first attempt, 5 fucking flights I was in the 4th. I actually went to the diner and had a sandwich instead of sitting there.

1st Attempt - 300 - , no issues flew up, felt good.
2nd Attempt - 315 - no issues felt good.
3rd Attempt - 325 - Failed 3/4 of the way up. Its ok my bench will continue to be a work in progress. I think I would have had 320.

Deadlift -

1st attempt - 500, felt like 3 plates no issues.
2nd attempt - 550 felt easy 3 whites +5lb PR.

Now the meet was going on 10 hours at this point. I had an inkling to go 6, but I was tired not at 100 percent, so I went conservative with 560.

3rd attempt - 560 - Felt easy enough up to my knee…then…uh oh I heard a horrible sound, like the popping of bubble wrap. My left bicep gave out and tore. FUCK. Saw the vid and and if you look at my left bicep tattoo you can see it change shape. I have no doubt it was/is torn. Looking at the vid as you could imagine while jerking the bar and then initiating the pull my elbow was bent. A horrible habit of mine which finally caught up with me.

As of the writing of the summary my arm is bruised bad, but no real pain just some soreness, and as most of you know Im an idiot, so I went to the gym yesterday to see what I could do, surprisingly I benched with no issues (light weight) OHP 135 x20, Facepulls etc even did 315x5x5. So Im confused on the severity of the injury. Went to the ortho on Monday he immediately wanted to do surgery w/o an MRI. My wife and I both agree than an MRI is necessary which is scheduled for next Monday.

TLDR crowd - 10lb PR Squat 460, had more if I didnt screw the pooch on my opener. Bench 315 +15 Post Injury PR, probably could have had 320. DL - 550 +5lb PR and at the very least partially tore my bicep on the 560 attempt due to my shit form

Vids to come

Best to the recovery and healing on the bicep. Nice lifting though!

Shit Matty sorry I’m just now catching up and sorry about the injury. For lack of a better description does your bicep have some bunching which looks almost like a peak? They call it the Popeye effect and it is a sure sign of a tear.

Also, don’t read too much into being able to workout and not feel significant pain even if it is fully torn. I benched 340 and pulled over 500 after fully tearing mine during a meet and worked out several times during the two weeks after with little pain. Do some bent rows and you will feel them pretty good in the bicep if it is torn.

Also according to my surgeon, who did a great job repairing my full distal tear which hasn’t caused me any major problems in the two years since surgery, you have about a 3 week window from the time the injury occurred to get the surgery done in order for it to have the best chance of success. Surgery after that has a several fold higher chance of a retear.

Good work at the meet. Solid numbers all around. We are dead even pulling now at 550.

Thanks Dave I really appreciate the info , I’m hoping to lean on you for questions I’m gonna have. How long after surgery did you start training again ?

Here is when it happened , look at my left bicep tattoo you will see it change shape

https://instagram.com/p/3qA0irNzXI/

The good stuff

https://instagram.com/p/3rps-vtzZ6/
https://instagram.com/p/3qAPN8tzWc/
https://instagram.com/p/3p_76eNzWB/

[quote]scoots2 wrote:
Best to the recovery and healing on the bicep. Nice lifting though![/quote]

Thanks very much scoots!

Great meet besides the biceps tear. Hope you fully recover and get that arm healed up well. You’re really kicking ass on your squats and your bench is coming along nicely. That pop when you’re doing a dead in a meet is a shocker. When mine happened about 4 years ago at the APF Europa here in Orlando I didn’t want to let go of the weight. I had the bar up about 3/4 of the way and pop and I felt like I had to let go of the weight or my arm was going to split open. Surgeons are excellent at repairs and mine was great but some choose not to operate and heal up anyway, good luck.

Thanks GV! I’m a little out of sorts and hoping for the best, I think we all know injuries are part of the game with PLing I just hope to learn from it and be able to continue to train in some fashion before it’s fully healed

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Thanks Dave I really appreciate the info , I’m hoping to lean on you for questions I’m gonna have. How long after surgery did you start training again ?[/quote]

I don’t see the bunching but that bruising is in the exact same spots as mine. I started training legs and the other arm three days after surgery and started using the arm way before I was advised to. I will look it up in the next couple of days but it will definitely encourage you. I would advise being a bit more cautious than I was but you can certainly push what the surgeon and PT suggest although I WOULD NOT log it online as it could be used against you by your insurance company if you do retear it.

Great meet Matty! I agree that you looked good for another round on squats.
You have made some great progress!

Sorry to hear about the bicep. You can definitely she the shift. Made me cringe just watching it. You’ll be back soon enough. Take care of it and you’ll be curling 560# instead of DLing it.

Damn you look stout!

Checked the old log today. I started unilateral work with my good arm and lower body work two days after surgery, benched for the first time three weeks to the day after surgery with my brace on and worked up to a top set of 5x235.

Below is 295x3 one-board press 6 weeks post surgery.

[quote]LittleStrick wrote:
Great meet Matty! I agree that you looked good for another round on squats.
You have made some great progress!

Sorry to hear about the bicep. You can definitely she the shift. Made me cringe just watching it. You’ll be back soon enough. Take care of it and you’ll be curling 560# instead of DLing it.

Damn you look stout![/quote]

Thanks Strick! LOL maybe I should stop trying to curl my deadlifts!

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Checked the old log today. I started unilateral work with my good arm and lower body work two days after surgery, benched for the first time three weeks to the day after surgery with my brace on and worked up to a top set of 5x235.

Below is 295x3 one-board press 6 weeks post surgery.

[/quote]

Thank You sir, this is giving me a ton of hope!

Been doing what I could do in the gym, until the final decision of surgery comes down. Bruising is going down somewhat, some swelling still in the elbowregion on my arm. All in all I feel ok and am able to do some constructive stuff in the gym. Monday is the MRI and we will go from there.