Hockey Fans: What's Your Take?

Well…

It’s seems like the NHL is really in crisis…

The season has been cancelled in a Sport that doesn’t have great popularity in the States (compared to some other Sports…)

However, in Canada, it’s seems like all this can be a LOT more devastating…

What are you guys take, especially our T-Nation friends from the Great White North?

Mufasa

Good riddance.

Now with the season “officially” over, maybe the sports shows and newscast will stop talking about it all the time.

At this point, anyone who still cares is a pathetic moron. Neither the league nor the players give a flying fuck about the fans who foot their million dollar salaries.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Good riddance.

Now with the season “officially” over, maybe the sports shows and newscast will stop talking about it all the time.

At this point, anyone who still cares is a pathetic moron. Neither the league nor the players give a flying fuck about the fans who foot their million dollar salaries.
[/quote]

Their goes 70 percent of Charles Poliquins personal training money…

It’s all good. They’ll just watch curling instead.

Know what the NHL reminds me of? Grumpy Old Men, y’know the movie. Two 60 year old men bickering, who should obviously be mature enough that they wouldn’t be so stupid and stubborn, yet still are.

Maybe most of these guys after playing in the AHL for a year or two making 5 figure salaries would start to see their $2.2 million contract as good enough instead of not enough.

I’m a huge hockey fan, and you know what? I didn’t even really miss it this year. Being a Bruins fan, it was painful to see the “just good enough to make the playoffs” product they put out there. Plus it was too much money to go to any games…

I’m quite happy with my AHL season tickets to the Manchester Monarchs, who own the second best record in the AHL as of today. The season tickets were $1100, and we can park for free at the games. Can’t beat that.

I’m just curious after all is said and done how ticket prices will be affected. Go Wings!!

Yeah the NHL is screwed. I mean, look what happened to Montreal after the baseball strike. Now multiply that by 10.

Personally I’m not missing anything because we only get one game on TV per week (and it’s the Dallas Stars), plus I have to listen to the Leafs on streaming radio!

Cheers

The players are complaining about not being paid what they’re worth.

Anybody is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay you.

So get the message.

Two words…THIS SUCKS!

When you live in a hockey town, there are a lot of people whose livelihoods depend on the games. Stadium employees, merchandisers, and all of the people who own bars, pubs, and restaurants surrounding the hockey arena who make the majority of their business on game night. A high end steak house next to the hockey arena just opened up here this year, this could bankrupt them right out of the gate. A bar around the corner has apparently lost $2M in sales?!

It certainly is hard to feel very sorry for people with multi-million dollar annual salaries, but as Charles Barkley pointed out last night, at least jocks put their bodies on the line for that pay cheque vs. what the cast of Friends had to do for their $20M+ salaries.

[quote]John K wrote:
When you live in a hockey town, there are a lot of people whose livelihoods depend on the games. Stadium employees, merchandisers, and all of the people who own bars, pubs, and restaurants surrounding the hockey arena who make the majority of their business on game night. A high end steak house next to the hockey arena just opened up here this year, this could bankrupt them right out of the gate. A bar around the corner has apparently lost $2M in sales?![/quote]

Generally, people use their disposable income to go out to a hockey game. When there’s no hockey, those people will simply spend their disposable income somewhere else. Whether a rock concert, a night out at the movies, or buying a plasma TV (many hockey nights out for that one…) the income will still be spent, it will just be distributed differently. The negative impact will be felt in a smaller region (near the arena) and will appear worse than the positive impact which will be a lot more spread out… But basically, they cancel each other out.

That’s completely irrelevant. Like some previous poster said, you’re worth what people are ready to pay you. If Friends is watched by 60 million people, the network can charge an arm and a leg for advertising spots. The cast would be stupid for not claiming their fair share.

If putting your body on the line was the criteria for your salary, then cops, firefighters and even taxi drivers would be making the millions. Taking a bullet or going inside a burning building is way more dangerous than getting crosschecked by some goon.

The NHL dispute is a great example of greed and stupidity at work. Too many owners thought they could “buy” a Stanley Cup by spending ridiculous amounts on salaries. When those team failed to perform well in the series, those owners found themselves losing money in a big way. Now, they’re trying to correct the situation. The players, having been paid ridiculous amounts for sometimes very limited skills, obviously wish to maintain the status quo.

Canceling the season has the advantage, from the owner’s point of view, of expiring a lot of contracts. For next season, something like 500 players will have to renegotiate their contract; giving a bigger stick to the owners who can, this time, flatly refuse to pay giant salaries for midget performance.

Initially I thought it was greed fighting greed. However I do feel at the end the NHLPA made huge concessions while the league wouldn’t budge. At this point I blame Betteman and the owners.

Sure the players make huge salaries, but they were willing to take a 24% pay cut and agreed to the salary cap. The owners wouldn’t even budge off their numbers for the cap. I think Betteman and Goodenow should both be canned ASAP for what they have done to the game.

Lastly, I will be terribly disappointed if this is how Steve Yzermen goes out after all he has done for the wings. Mike Illitch is to be commended for his solidarity with the other owners, but I find it hard to believe he feels this is best for the Wings.

AS a Wings fan I hate this. I miss my hockey. It is about the only sport I watch other than the fights. I havent enjoyed baasketball in years. What else is on right now other than “Stars on Ice”?

I will also hate it if the fans react like they did agaisnt the baseball strike.

This can hurt hockey in a really bad way.

This is too bad. I miss hockey. On the lockout and all, people always seem to side with the owners.

Why?

The owners make FAR more money than the players do. The players ARE the product. When have you ever heard “I’m gonna go to the game so I can sit and watch the owner”

Unless you are wealthy enough to own a pro sports franchise in the NHL, NBA, MLB, or NFL you should side with the players.

Otherwise it’s like cheering your boss when during your annual raise he says “Sorry you get no raise, we set a cap” Would you be happy to hear that? No one would.

It may seem strange, but I’m gonna side with the fans. I say screw the owners and the players.When they Decide to come back and play again, we, the fans, should boycott the bastards. Show them all where the real decision making power rests. May drive down ticket prices to a more accessable level while we’re at it.

[quote]squattin600 wrote:
This is too bad. I miss hockey. On the lockout and all, people always seem to side with the owners.

Why?

The owners make FAR more money than the players do. The players ARE the product. When have you ever heard “I’m gonna go to the game so I can sit and watch the owner”

Unless you are wealthy enough to own a pro sports franchise in the NHL, NBA, MLB, or NFL you should side with the players.

Otherwise it’s like cheering your boss when during your annual raise he says “Sorry you get no raise, we set a cap” Would you be happy to hear that? No one would. [/quote]

Your scenario really isn’t the same as what’s going on. Actually, it’s more like this: You make a hell of a lot of money and your boss says "The industry is in trouble, as a result we have to control costs and lower salaries. You’ll still be making a damn good living and you won’t have to find a real job making a lot less.

They won’t exactly be standing in line at the soup kitchen.

I agree that in the “big picture” the the fan money will still be circulated into the economy as they seek other forms of amusement, but I still feel sorry for the people who suffer in the short term. Remember, every time a drunk drives over somebody it has a POSITIVE economic effect, but it’s at the cost of a lot of human misery. Somebody’s triumph is often somebody else’s tragic loss.

ESPN is reporting that the season is back on. There will be NHL hockey this season.

Personally, I’d rather watch ProfessorX shorten his vertical leap than support a league full of self-indulgent, overpaid pricks.

I think these pro players should quit bitching they make way too much money as it is. I would love to get paid half what they do to play any sport. It makes me sick to see these guys doing what they love, making millions a yr and still bitch about money. Tell them to work for a living at a regular job for average pay and see how bad 1.5 million a yr looks after that.