T Nation

Hockey Conditioning

Hey y’all, I am trying to get myself into peak condition to tryout for my college hockey team this summer. For the past 2-3 months I’ve just been lifting 3 days a week focusing on bench, squat, deadlift. I got all my numbers up as the weeks went on, and now I’d like to add in some explosive power training. Can anyone recommend a good way to go about this? I know for sure I am going to do 400m sprints from the running man article, I’d like to throw in some plyometrics as well I just don’t know what to do exactly. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

I wouldn’t normally dish out advice since I’m not a vet trainee, but since I used to play a little junior hockey (and since I’m gonna be making the greatest comeback since elvis presely in September) I decided to chip in. Not that I consider myself expert or anything.

I found oly lifting, particularly the power variantions (power snatch, power clean) and push presses and jerks to provide a noticeable effect on the first few strides or (if you’re a tender) push offs/recovery.

You probably have some knowledge about them from reading t mag. I assume you’ve already considered these. If I remember something about what CT wrote, I think he said that the nature of oly lifts make it such that not much additional plyometric work is needed. I would read his archived stuff since he seems to often bring up examples of training his NHL guys.

Also, he provided an example of his periodization blocks he used for some of his athletes in issue 6(?) of the newsletter he used to send out each week last year. He has a sample program of his explosive power period.

What team are you trying out for?

Oly lifts can easily be encorporated, there are tons of articles here that talk about them–or an even easier way would be to subistitute cleans for deads and stick in a jerk/push press on upper body day. Past that, what position do you play? I’m not to familiar with hockey, but running 400’s is great for fatloss/“endurance” but not so great for increasing speed/explosiveness. So not, telling you what to do, but just keep in mind what energy sys you want to work.

[quote]Mowgli wrote:
I wouldn’t normally dish out advice since I’m not a vet trainee, but since I used to play a little junior hockey (and since I’m gonna be making the greatest comeback since elvis presely in September) I decided to chip in. Not that I consider myself expert or anything.[/quote]

I also played juniors, but that ended a year ago. I plsyed our last 3 games with a torn ligament in my left thumb from fighting the biggest kid in the league!

[quote]
I found oly lifting, particularly the power variantions (power snatch, power clean) and push presses and jerks to provide a noticeable effect on the first few strides or (if you’re a tender) push offs/recovery.

You probably have some knowledge about them from reading t mag. I assume you’ve already considered these. If I remember something about what CT wrote, I think he said that the nature of oly lifts make it such that not much additional plyometric work is needed. I would read his archived stuff since he seems to often bring up examples of training his NHL guys.

Also, he provided an example of his periodization blocks he used for some of his athletes in issue 6(?) of the newsletter he used to send out each week last year. He has a sample program of his explosive power period.

What team are you trying out for?[/quote]

Well, that would make things a lot simpler if all I had to do was the olympic lifts. I think maybe I could add into my current split an explosive lifting day with the main focus on one of the olympic lifts. The one I like most is the clean and press, I don’t really have anyone to teach them to me and that’s the one I feel the most proficient at. I could also add the 400m sprints on another day, and that would have me going 5 days a week up until tryouts, maybe back off and do active recovery the week before tryouts so I am fresh. How does this sound to anyone that knows a lil bout this sorta thing?

[quote]timmwwaa wrote:
Oly lifts can easily be encorporated, there are tons of articles here that talk about them–or an even easier way would be to subistitute cleans for deads and stick in a jerk/push press on upper body day. Past that, what position do you play? I’m not to familiar with hockey, but running 400’s is great for fatloss/“endurance” but not so great for increasing speed/explosiveness. So not, telling you what to do, but just keep in mind what energy sys you want to work.[/quote]

I am going to run the sprints for my endurance.

I have the modern strength newsletter if you’re interested.

Also, if you’ve read everything here about oly lifts and would like some video reference, a buddy sent me an awesome video of Chad Ikei teaching the power snatch and power clean. The guy is so quick. the little vid helped me to learn the lifts even when I had a coach teaching me.

It seems like you still have lots of time to improve mass/strength before tryouts assuming they’re in August. I suppose the explosiveness wasn’t a problem area for me, but I only had a 3 week block of speed/explosion work 3 weeks leading up to the season. Most of my summer was dedicated to strength, but in retrospect I shoulda bulled more and put on another 10 lbs. But again, I’m not a vet so I don’t want to lead you in the wrong direction. I’m just saying it worked for me.

Here’s an article by a hockey coach at a Division II school about how he used the Westside template to construct a S&C program for his team. Even if you don’t want to train Westside, the article will give you lots of ideas on how to put everything together.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/strength_program_hockey.htm

awesome, thanks mike just what I needed.

Ok, I am starting that program mike suggested to me tonite.

Is there any hockey players that read this board that can suggest any ways to improve my stickhandling? Its not too bad, but its not the greatest either. Just any little drills or advice you might have would be appreciated, thanks!

Ask this guy.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/amazinggoal.html

Well assuming you have ice time, the usual protocol involves cone drills.

And if you’re skating with some other guys, play the cat-mouse drill where you skate with puck possession in the corner and try to keep it away from him. If he steals it, reverse the role.

But if you’re talking off-ice, I’m not sure you can practise that specifically.

I play at prep school right now, so maybe I can offer some help.

I liked using speed ladders, and I really did feel the effects of the landing absorbtion.

Also, don’t forget that you want to be good at hockey, not powerlifting. It will likely do you more good to get a stick weight and work on your stickhandling, than spend all your time in the gym.

Sounds like you’re walking on. That takes balls. Good luck.

Hey,

Try the Gladiator training plan from John Berardi’s website.

Part 1
http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/june212002/na_hockeytraining.htm

Part 2
http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/july262002/na_gladiator2.htm

Part 3
http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/aug302002/na_gladiator3.htm

Chivas

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Ok, I am starting that program mike suggested to me tonite.

Is there any hockey players that read this board that can suggest any ways to improve my stickhandling? Its not too bad, but its not the greatest either. Just any little drills or advice you might have would be appreciated, thanks! [/quote]

I like to use those little wooden balls that you can get at home depot for like a buck. Some people call them Swedish Stickhandling Balls. Im 100% Swedish but never heard of that til a year ago. I like to use them for speed. Just standing still with my head up, stickhandling back and forth side to side, toe drag etc. I used to do it before games, but now i just do it here and there when im not playing competitively. Also, the triangle is good when you’re on the ice. Make a triangle with 3 pucks or gloves, and puck handle inbetween them.