Hockey 09 Baby

So who out there on T-Nation is a hockey fan? If you are how do you feel about next season, what teams do you think will preform bad/good and which players est? Also whos your overall favorite team and who do you think will go to the cup? I am personally a die hard isles fan, but I have to say I think tampa has a good chance with that new coach they have. So lets have at it.

A tad early, but I’ll bite.

Never played hockey, but grew up in NY (a lot of my buddies and all my cousins played) and have always been a fan. Strangely, I’ve never liked any of the NY-area teams.

I’ve always followed the Flyers, and consider them my favorite team. But, since moving to CO, I’ve taken a liking to the Avs as well and really enjoy going to the Pepsi Center when I can for a game.

As for who will do what next season, Detroit is the odds-on favorite. I think Philly will be right there in the East and I think Colorado, if they can get consistent goaltending, could be a solid club.

See my avatar - obviously a flyers fan here. I think the flyers should have a decent year, but their success will depend on how well some of their young blueliners perform.

Tampa is an intriguing team. They have a good crop of forwards, but I’m not convinced about their defense. The southeast is so weak that it wouldn’t surprise me to see then win the division, but I don’t think they can hang with the class of the East.

It pains me to say it, but the Pens will still be tough. If that team ever figured out that they actually need a decent blueline, they’d be the big favorite out of the East. But, they apparently haven’t figured that out after decades now.

Overall, Detroit has to be the favorite, as they are still loaded. I don’t know if they plan to play Hossa with the Zetterburg and Datsyuk line. They have all kinds of options. If they do play him on the first line, it’s the best line in hockey. Alternatively, they could play him on the 2nd line, giving them incredible scoring depth.

In all, I’ll be incredibly happy if one of two things happens this season: the flyers win the cup, or Crosby dies at the hands of Mike Richards. My hatred for Crosby knows no limits.

Toronto Maple Leafs…

without a doubt.

[quote]mrw173 wrote:

In all, I’ll be incredibly happy if one of two things happens this season: the flyers win the cup, or Crosby dies at the hands of Mike Richards. My hatred for Crosby knows no limits.[/quote]

HAHAHAH Fuck Philly. Pens kick ass.

They wont be as good as last year. I think they will lose in the Eastern Conference finals.

Viva La Crosby!

The Maple Leafs comment was too much

MN Wild kool aid drinker. Lime flavor with a sour aftertaste.

Big Wings fan. I’m hoping that adding Hossa will be what the Wings need to quell any complacency.

And I don’t think the Pen’s will be much of a force with the firesale they had. It’s a shame really, that cup experience could have really taken them somewhere.

Go Wings!

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
See my avatar - obviously a flyers fan here. I think the flyers should have a decent year, but their success will depend on how well some of their young blueliners perform.

Tampa is an intriguing team. They have a good crop of forwards, but I’m not convinced about their defense. The southeast is so weak that it wouldn’t surprise me to see then win the division, but I don’t think they can hang with the class of the East.

It pains me to say it, but the Pens will still be tough. If that team ever figured out that they actually need a decent blueline, they’d be the big favorite out of the East. But, they apparently haven’t figured that out after decades now.

Overall, Detroit has to be the favorite, as they are still loaded. I don’t know if they plan to play Hossa with the Zetterburg and Datsyuk line. They have all kinds of options. If they do play him on the first line, it’s the best line in hockey. Alternatively, they could play him on the 2nd line, giving them incredible scoring depth.

In all, I’ll be incredibly happy if one of two things happens this season: the flyers win the cup, or Crosby dies at the hands of Mike Richards. My hatred for Crosby knows no limits.[/quote]

well i might not be a flyers fan but i am happy im not the only person who hates crosby with passion

I’m what you call a very rare, southern born and raised hockey fan, been one ever since the Thrashers came to Atlanta. We always had the mediocre goal of making it to the playoffs. Now that that has happened I�??ve drastically raised my hopes. I now want to win a post season game. In about 40 years, I�??ll be hoping they win the cup. Hah!

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:
mrw173 wrote:

They wont be as good as last year. I think they will lose in the Eastern Conference finals.
[/quote]

Why, because of the flyers extensive roster turnover?? They are essentially the same team as last year, and they’ll be getting Gagne back.

P.S. love the avatar

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
tg2hbk4488 wrote:
mrw173 wrote:

Why, because of the flyers extensive roster turnover?? They are essentially the same team as last year, and they’ll be getting Gagne back.

P.S. love the avatar[/quote]

I think he was alluding to the Pens, they lost a lot of key players, especially with Hossa going to Detroit.

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:

Viva La Crosby!

[/quote]

I hate him. And I think it is solely because every show and announcer makes him out to be Jesus on ice skates. It’s painful to watch, especially during the playoffs when they ask questions to players from the western conference about him in the first and second rounds. Theyre trying to force him into the next Gretzky and it reminds me of the massive media fellatio that Tom Brady got last season.

Hockey rules. I’m from Toronto…I live in agony.

[quote]Magnate wrote:
tg2hbk4488 wrote:

Viva La Crosby!

I hate him. And I think it is solely because every show and announcer makes him out to be Jesus on ice skates. It’s painful to watch, especially during the playoffs when they ask questions to players from the western conference about him in the first and second rounds. Theyre trying to force him into the next Gretzky and it reminds me of the massive media fellatio that Tom Brady got last season.[/quote]

It’s NOT Crosby’s fault…it’s the MEDIA that’s trying to make him out to be the next Gretzky. Your hate is misplaced.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I’m what you call a very rare, southern born and raised hockey fan, been one ever since the Thrashers came to Atlanta. We always had the mediocre goal of making it to the playoffs. Now that that has happened I�??ve drastically raised my hopes. I now want to win a post season game. In about 40 years, I�??ll be hoping they win the cup. Hah![/quote]

40 years…do you think the Thrashers will last that long? Frankly, I pray some of these teams like Thrashers or Yotes relocated to Canada. We’re getting the shaft from Bettman. We could really use another team in Southern Ontario, because we’re hockey obsessed here and all we have are the Leafs or Buffalo to cheer for…and kinda Ottawa.

GO BRUINS!!!

I haven’t been terribly impressed with their off season so far though. I’m not sure I agree with the Murray buyout, and other than that all I’ve seen them do is pick up some young, unproven talent. On the other hand, if they play like they did last year, with the addition of Patrice Bergeron and Auld as a backup/second goalie, I could see good things happening in Boston. But what do I know, I’m not sure I’ve quite recovered from the seven game series against Montreal yet.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
GO BRUINS!!!

I haven’t been terribly impressed with their off season so far though. I’m not sure I agree with the Murray buyout, and other than that all I’ve seen them do is pick up some young, unproven talent. On the other hand, if they play like they did last year, with the addition of Patrice Bergeron and Auld as a backup/second goalie, I could see good things happening in Boston. But what do I know, I’m not sure I’ve quite recovered from the seven game series against Montreal yet.[/quote]

Yes, I fell in love with the Bruins during the Habs series. That was some awesome shit to watch. Man, if they won it they’d probably be my second favourite team…mind you, I was in a pool and it would have helped there immensely too!

PS I hate, hate, hate the Habs.

[quote]Digity wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
I’m what you call a very rare, southern born and raised hockey fan, been one ever since the Thrashers came to Atlanta. We always had the mediocre goal of making it to the playoffs. Now that that has happened I�??ve drastically raised my hopes. I now want to win a post season game. In about 40 years, I�??ll be hoping they win the cup. Hah!

40 years…do you think the Thrashers will last that long? Frankly, I pray some of these teams like Thrashers or Yotes relocated to Canada. We’re getting the shaft from Bettman. We could really use another team in Southern Ontario, because we’re hockey obsessed here and all we have are the Leafs or Buffalo to cheer for…and kinda Ottawa.[/quote]

The Wings are practically in southern Ontario, they don’t get much love in Windsor though.

Excuse my ignorance, but in your opinion, where would be a good locale in southern Ontario for a team? London maybe, or am I thinking to far to the west? I have never been east of Niagra in Canada, so I don’t know where would be a hockey hotspot.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Your hate is misplaced.[/quote]

I’m fine with that.