HMB Opinions

I’m a believer based on my training and experience i have lifted slightly more weight while supplementing with HMB. I know a lot of people don’t believe in it.

What is the consensus of the supplements and nutrition forum?

It doesn’t do bubkus. This is (years-) old news. If you’re lifting slightly more it’s because you’ve been progressing as expected due to your ongoing workouts combined with whatever food/fuel you’re eating. The HMB just makes your wallet lighter.

OK, but are there any others you would recommend instead of HMB, to do what it claims it will?

What is HMB?

HMB was marketed as an anabolic agent, i.e. a “muscle-builder.” Not in a hormonal sense, i.e. it wasn’t said to affect testosterone or androgen levels at all, but just to be a substance that would help build muscle (and maybe help stave off fat, but I’m not sure if that was ever really emphasized). It didn’t really do any of this, at least not in doses that were remotely practical.

The best (actually working!) alternative that does what HMB was PURPORTED to do, and which also does not work via affecting hormone levels (so is completely benign with regard to fear of side effects) is Carbolin 19.

(And no, I’m not just saying that because this is a Biotest site).

[quote]Damici wrote:
HMB was marketed as an anabolic agent, i.e. a “muscle-builder.” Not in a hormonal sense, i.e. it wasn’t said to affect testosterone or androgen levels at all, but just to be a substance that would help build muscle (and maybe help stave off fat, but I’m not sure if that was ever really emphasized). It didn’t really do any of this, at least not in doses that were remotely practical.

The best (actually working!) alternative that does what HMB was PURPORTED to do, and which also does not work via affecting hormone levels (so is completely benign with regard to fear of side effects) is Carbolin 19.

(And no, I’m not just saying that because this is a Biotest site).[/quote]

OK neato.

To the OP- buy some Carbolin 19 then. (I will say that because this is Biotest’s site)

I took HMB back around '99/2000 when it was HEAVILY promoted by bill phillips and EAS. (and it still is to a certain extent). It was purported to increase lean mass but the literature basically said it works a small amount in new trainees, but doesn’t do anything with experienced lifters.

when i took it, it didn’t do much to change my body composition outside my regular training.

it’s also fairly expesive compared to other things that would work better.

I hear it’s just like Deca

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
I hear it’s just like Deca[/quote]

Truth. That’s why, like creatine, it’s a supplement EVERYONE seems to take. If the OP had simply run a search, he would have realized that.

My bottle of HMB says its supposed to be anti-catabolic, meaning so that when you do cardio or would otherwise burn muscle, it would lessen the ratio of muscle to fat burned.

I actually cant tell right now whether it is working or not.

I will let you know in a month.

Don’t tell anyone about it or it might get banned.