T Nation

Hlss09's 5/3/1 Log

Decided to run 5/3/1 and get strong as possible! I will likely cycle through higher and lower volume on the accessory work, but the main work will stay consistent. My routine for this cycle is based on Jim Wendler's "5/3/1 for Bodybuilding" although I switched out a few exercises to address my super weak points. Anyway, here's my routine:

Day 1: Chest/Tri's
1. Bench - 5/3/1
2. CGBP - 4 x 6-8
3. Incline DB Bench - 4 x 6-10
4. Tricep Exercise - 4 x 10-15
5. DB Flyes - 4 x 12-15
6. Hatfield Raises (lower back exercise)

Day 2: Legs
1. Squat - 5/3/1
2. Front Squat - 4 x 6-12
3. Leg Press - 4 x 10-12
4. Lying Leg Curl - 4 x 10-15
5. Good Mornings - 3 x 8-12
6. Seated Calf - 4 x 12-15
7. Leg Press Calf - 4 x 6-8
8. Abs

Day 3: Shoulders/Bi's
1. Military Press - 5/3/1
2. Seated DB Press - 4 x 8-12
3. Side Laterals - 4 x 10-12
4. Chest Supported Rear Delts ss Facepulls - 4 x 10-15
5. DB Curls - 5 x 6-10
6. EZ Bar Preacher Curls - 4 x 6-10
7. Hyper Extensions

Day 4: Back
1. Sumo Deadlift - 5/3/1
2. T Bar Rows - 4 x 8-10
3. DB Deadstop Rows - 4 x 10-12
4. Seated Wide Grip Cable Rows - 4 x 10
5. BB Shrugs - 4 x 10-12
6. Abs

I'm going to run this for a cycle or 2, then probably switch to the Boring But Big template to reduce volume a bit. I'm going to be going strapless as well, because I want to compete in PL one day.

Maxes for this cycle: (100%, but I'm using 90% per Wendler)

• Deadlift - 385 x 1
  • Squat - 260 x 1
  • Military Press - 135 x 1
  • Bench Press - 185 x 1

November 21, 2011: Chest/Tri's

Bench
bar x some
70 x 5
85 x 5
100 x 5 (supposed to do 3, whoops, misread)
110 x 5
125 x 5
145 x 12

CGBP (paused)
135 x 8
135 x 6
135 x 9

Incline DB Bench (full ROM)
50's x 8
60's x 8
65's x 8
70's x 4

OH Rope Extension
100 x 15
120 x 10, 7

DB Flyes
30's 3x10

Hatfield Raises
BW 2x15

Notes: Really good first session. At first looking at the 5/3/1 prescription for all the warmups with super light weight I thought it was going to be a waste of time, but as I was going along, I felt really good and felt like I had some purpose and guidance. Thanks Jim!

Also, decided to do CGBP paused for the time being to get better strength off my chest, which is definitely my weak point. I also took the DB's all the way down to my chest on incline db bench (usually I stopped a few inches short in the past, what a big difference this makes!)...

After the OH Rope Extensions I was so pumped up my arms looked like they'd gained an inch, and I felt great.

Hatfield Raises are awesome, thanks Det.

FIRST!

Good luck. Here's to getting ridiculously strong.

Food:

Meal 1: Shake (2 scoops whey, 1/2 cup oats, 1 banana) + 2 slices ezekiel bread w/ sugar free jelly

Meal 2: 2 scoops whey

Meal 3: 1/3 lb beef, 2 chicken breasts, broccoli

Meal 4: (pre training) 1.5 cups oats, 2 scoops whey, 2 slices ezekiel bread w/ sugar free jell

Meal 5: (post training) 1.75 cups oats, 3 scoops whey, 1 banana

Meal 6: 3 chicken breasts

• running out of food, hence so much oats + whey. Leaving to see the parents tomorrow though, so I'll be well fed! *

Man, oats and whey are just about the easiest way to get the calories in.

Jake, I really like oats and whey.

I usually put some oats in a bowl, microwave for like 4 minutes, then put in some whey, splenda, and cinnamon, re-microwave for a minute or so, then throw in a cut up banana. It's pretty good. If you really want calories, do that + some peanut butter. Tastes GREAT too.

But nothing beats beef for calories and awesome.

EDIT: BTW, I forced myself to bring meals to school today. I knew that if I didn't, I wouldn't have gotten enough. I ended up drinking my whey shake at 12:00, then had my beef + chicken at 2:30, then had my oats and whey/bread at 5:30, etc. Usually I like to get less frequent but bigger meals in, but I've realized that I'm going to have to learn how to eat every 2-3 hours consistently to get in the amount of calories I need.

At around 4,000 or less, it was easy to eat 4 big meals a day. But now, I can still do a few big meals, but then I feel bloated and shitty all day. I'm at a point where I'd rather eat 5 or 6 smaller meals than 4 huge meals. But either way, calories in is king!

Good Luck on your new journey, bro. I'll be along for the ride

Let's do it Harold!

PL competitions... actual meat in your diet... I like it

Since you guys were mentioning oats and whey, here's something I like doing to get many calories in if I'm slacking at the end of the day: just take a crapload of peanut butter (however many tablespoons suits your needs), microwave for 30 seconds, then mix in one scoop of whey for every two tbsp or so of the peanut butter.

I think that someone on TNation talked about doing this with chocolate flavored whey and calling it his "dog sh** bulking," but I do it with vanilla whey. Tastes amazing, great consistency, and great way to get in the cals.

First session looks good. Let's see you kill it.

Thanks guys.

@ Spidey: Thx for the support big dogg

@ Jab: lol @ Harold. Where did that start anyway?

@ Scj: only in it for the meat? Maybe a little PL? Lol!

@ 3 Commandments: You're referring to Hungry4More's "dog shit," and yes it is delicious.

@ Bug: Thx man. I'm about to 5/3/1 some squats and accessories this morning. Great interview in the T Cell BTW. Only critique: you didn't mention that you were a virgin until you turned 23.

November 22, 2011: Legs

Thorough Warmup

Squat
bar x some
100 x 5
120 x 5
145 x 3
160 x 5
180 x 5
205 x 11

Front Squat
135 3x8

Leg Press (full ROM, deep)
4pps x 10, 10
5pps x 10, 10

Lying Leg Curl (less focus on weight, more focus on feel)
50 3x10

Good Morning
bar x some
95 x 8
115 x 8
135 x 8

Seated Calf Raise
1pps 3x12 super strict w/ hard squeeze and pause at bottom

Standing Calf Raise
420 3x6 strict

Good stuff dawggg, how many cals u at now?

Not sure calories exactly, I just make sure to eat at least 300-400g carbs, 300-350g protein, 60-100g fat a day on training days. Off days a little less carbs usually.

nice so around 4000ish a bit less, my macros are starting around the same :smiley:

Eat more.

Good job though. Hit me up if you've got more questions.

Mmatt, I will! I'm going to weigh myself this coming Monday. Last time I weighed I was down to 199.6 from 203.8 due to a stomach thing. If I'm not at or past 203 I'll add another meal or just eat bigger servings.

Thanks though man, I appreciate it.

So, headed to class until 5, then coming home, showering/eating, and driving to LA to spend Thanxgiving with the fam. Going to be tons of food, so that's good!

Stay classy T Nation?

Good work so far. Looks like you are finally on the road to silencing the haters :wink:

I'll be watching eagerly since the idea of doing a 5/3/1 w/ bodybuilding assistance has appealed for me for quite awhile now. I certainly can imagine 2-4 cycles boosting my overall strength up at some point to be a great advantage for the future.

Thx jake

531 for bbing is cool. But i feel like what im doinv is prob too much volume for my gosls. So, ill be cycling 531 for bbing and 531 w Boring But Big. But ya, im a volume addict. Left to my own devices ill be in the gym 6 days a week doing crazy shit. But hit me up on fb and ill give you a more specific account od how ill be mixing high volume and low volume assistance