Hitting Wall During High Pulls

Hey CT,
so as i am ramping up I hit 215 x 3 very explosive and with pretty good form in my opinion. then i go up to 225 and the movement slows down to me considerably and i can only get it up to my nipples. in your opinion, why the drastic change with only 10 lbs. what i did today was work more sets with 215 and hitting as many perfect singles as a could with that. is there any thing i can do to not hit this wall?
Thanks

any one else seeing this problem?

I actually have the same problem, at around the same weights as you. It throws me off mentally at times because I think i’m going to hit a PR, but then I hit that wall with the small jump in weight. I’m curious to see what CT’s take on it is.

Yep, I"m the same way. I get up right at 235/240 and feel good. But as soon as I jump to try 250 it just feels off and not explosive.

@ All:

I was having same troubles at similar weights. I found that the issue was mostly in my set-up.

Make sure that as the weight goes up, your positions don’t change. Absolutely necessary to rock the chest up, throw it towards the ceiling.

Cheers,
M

Try doing your sets one week with someone else loading the bar, and not doing the math between sets. In other words, try taking the mental part out of it. If the same thing still happens, you may have a limiting synergist. Not knowing anything else, the hamstrings are always a good place to start. The SGHP requires you to close the triangle with as much violence as you can control.

I broke through my last SGHP plateau by adding in a ramp of triples in the SG RDL from Blocks after my SGHP Layers (Yes, this sucked). I figured It was either my hamstrings, erectors, or my traps that weren’t strong enough to progress. SG RDL from Blocks pretty much fried all three. I hit PR’s the following week.

thanks orchrist, thats some awesom advice. i will be doing strength layers for sghp then sg rdls 4x8-10 after. ill give that a few weeks and see where that gets me

I’m not quite up to those numbers, but I have found that with high pulls (for me) there is a very pronounced difference in rep performance between my training max for any given day and as little as 5kg above.

@CT I have a question about high pulls, I have never done them but I have done power cleans but I had terrible form. I am looking for an explosive lift to do on my lower body gym but I go to a gym that doesn’t have bars for and doesn’t allow lifts like that and the dead lift(yes I am leaving it asap) but in the mean time do you think I could effectively do a high pull on the smith machine? Or what about using dumbells for high pulls?

@Krum: Definitely get a new gym lol before you set off the lunk alarm lol

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:
@CT I have a question about high pulls, I have never done them but I have done power cleans but I had terrible form. I am looking for an explosive lift to do on my lower body gym but I go to a gym that doesn’t have bars for and doesn’t allow lifts like that and the dead lift(yes I am leaving it asap) but in the mean time do you think I could effectively do a high pull on the smith machine? Or what about using dumbells for high pulls? [/quote]

Smith machine will not work for high pulls. DB can work but they are cumbersome to lower after the pull.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Krum: Definitely get a new gym lol before you set off the lunk alarm lol[/quote]
As soon as I can afford one I was thinking I’d just act a fool and get kicked out LOL