T Nation

Hitting the Heavy Bag Slows You Down?

I read in the US Military boxing manual that you should not hit the heavy bag two weeks out from a fight because it will slow you down. Has anyone else heard this?

That’s the first I’ve heard of that but then again, I’ve never trained for a boxing match so I don’t really know.

No way dude. In the last week, maybe, because guys are trying to deload and peak for the fight. But two weeks out? No way. Watch a couple episodes of 24/7 and watch the workload these cats do leading up to the fight.

Obviously has to be correct, the US military said it.

Somehow I think that the US Military doesn’t know shit about boxing.

On a somewhat related note: Why is it everyone seems to have this ridiculous notion that every special forces member would be an expert at hand to hand combat?

[quote]titopuente wrote:
I read in the US Military boxing manual that you should not hit the heavy bag two weeks out from a fight because it will slow you down. Has anyone else heard this?[/quote]

That’s crazy…especially considering how big boxing is in the military. Well,at least in the Army it is.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

On a somewhat related note: Why is it everyone seems to have this ridiculous notion that every special forces member would be an expert at hand to hand combat?[/quote]

Do you mean JUST special forces or special ops in general? Why does it matter that much to you? Don’t wanna be a dick but would you get an ego boost knowing you can beat a special ops guy in hand to hand combat? Of course if it were just straight hand to hand combat the combat athlete would win, because special ops guys spend relatively little time on hand to hand combat compared to weapons and tactics.

I’m guessing people have that notion because they have the mindset to kill, which is very important and intimidating, and is completely different than just wanting to “win” a fight. I think if you dropped both guys off in the jungle with nothing, and told them to kill eachother, the special ops guy would be the winner, because of tactics, stealth, situational awareness, knowing how to move and survive in that environment, and his mindset. He’d be more likely to escalate it from hand to hand combat to close quarters battle by using makeshift weapons.

So as the the environment becomes more chaotic, the special ops soldier has a greater chance. It’s really just a question of who gets to fight their fight. But like I said, generally the combat athlete would win especially if the SF guy could not blindside him, use deception, find a weapon, ect. Also, some are very good at H2H because it was already/became an interest, so they practice it on their own time.

[quote]AttackOfTheChris wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:

On a somewhat related note: Why is it everyone seems to have this ridiculous notion that every special forces member would be an expert at hand to hand combat?

Do you mean JUST special forces or special ops in general? Why does it matter that much to you? Don’t wanna be a dick but would you get an ego boost knowing you can beat a special ops guy in hand to hand combat? Of course if it were just straight hand to hand combat the combat athlete would win, because special ops guys spend relatively little time on hand to hand combat compared to weapons and tactics. I’m guessing people have that notion because they have the mindset to kill, which is very important and intimidating, and is completely different than just wanting to “win” a fight. I think if you dropped both guys off in the jungle with nothing, and told them to kill eachother, the special ops guy would be the winner, because of tactics, stealth, situational awareness, knowing how to move and survive in that environment, and his mindset. He’d be more likely to escalate it from hand to hand combat to close quarters battle by using makeshift weapons. So as the the environment becomes more chaotic, the special ops soldier has a greater chance. It’s really just a question of who gets to fight their fight. But like I said, generally the combat athlete would win especially if the SF guy could not blindside him, use deception, find a weapon, ect. Also, some are very good at H2H because it was already/became an interest, so they practice it on their own time. [/quote]

Heh, I was just thinking that this jungle scenario is so unlikely but it popped to my mind that it’s not vastly more unlikely than this one on one MMA rules “streetfight” that seems to be getting purported (not necessarily in this forum, but by people in general)

Aussie Davo wrote:

Do you mean JUST special forces or special ops in general? Why does it matter that much to you? Don’t wanna be a dick but would you get an ego boost knowing you can beat a special ops guy in hand to hand combat? Of course if it were just straight hand to hand combat the combat athlete would win, because special ops guys spend relatively little time on hand to hand combat compared to weapons and tactics. I’m guessing people have that notion because they have the mindset to kill, which is very important and intimidating, and is completely different than just wanting to “win” a fight. I think if you dropped both guys off in the jungle with nothing, and told them to kill eachother, the special ops guy would be the winner, because of tactics, stealth, situational awareness, knowing how to move and survive in that environment, and his mindset. He’d be more likely to escalate it from hand to hand combat to close quarters battle by using makeshift weapons. So as the the environment becomes more chaotic, the special ops soldier has a greater chance. It’s really just a question of who gets to fight their fight. But like I said, generally the combat athlete would win especially if the SF guy could not blindside him, use deception, find a weapon, ect. Also, some are very good at H2H because it was already/became an interest, so they practice it on their own time. [/quote]

That’s a good point Aussie Davo. AttackOfTheChris’s comment, while he probably didn’t mean it, reminded me of that guy who bragged about beating up a marine. That thread was a classic.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
AttackOfTheChris wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:

Do you mean JUST special forces or special ops in general? Why does it matter that much to you? Don’t wanna be a dick but would you get an ego boost knowing you can beat a special ops guy in hand to hand combat? Of course if it were just straight hand to hand combat the combat athlete would win, because special ops guys spend relatively little time on hand to hand combat compared to weapons and tactics. I’m guessing people have that notion because they have the mindset to kill, which is very important and intimidating, and is completely different than just wanting to “win” a fight. I think if you dropped both guys off in the jungle with nothing, and told them to kill eachother, the special ops guy would be the winner, because of tactics, stealth, situational awareness, knowing how to move and survive in that environment, and his mindset. He’d be more likely to escalate it from hand to hand combat to close quarters battle by using makeshift weapons. So as the the environment becomes more chaotic, the special ops soldier has a greater chance. It’s really just a question of who gets to fight their fight. But like I said, generally the combat athlete would win especially if the SF guy could not blindside him, use deception, find a weapon, ect. Also, some are very good at H2H because it was already/became an interest, so they practice it on their own time.

Heh, I was just thinking that this jungle scenario is so unlikely but it popped to my mind that it’s not vastly more unlikely than this one on one MMA rules “streetfight” that seems to be getting purported (not necessarily in this forum, but by people in general)[/quote]

Exactly, i mentioned it to illustrate that of course one or the other will win when in their perfect environment. But nothing ever really happens the way you want it to.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
AttackOfTheChris wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:

Do you mean JUST special forces or special ops in general? Why does it matter that much to you? Don’t wanna be a dick but would you get an ego boost knowing you can beat a special ops guy in hand to hand combat? Of course if it were just straight hand to hand combat the combat athlete would win, because special ops guys spend relatively little time on hand to hand combat compared to weapons and tactics. I’m guessing people have that notion because they have the mindset to kill, which is very important and intimidating, and is completely different than just wanting to “win” a fight. I think if you dropped both guys off in the jungle with nothing, and told them to kill eachother, the special ops guy would be the winner, because of tactics, stealth, situational awareness, knowing how to move and survive in that environment, and his mindset. He’d be more likely to escalate it from hand to hand combat to close quarters battle by using makeshift weapons. So as the the environment becomes more chaotic, the special ops soldier has a greater chance. It’s really just a question of who gets to fight their fight. But like I said, generally the combat athlete would win especially if the SF guy could not blindside him, use deception, find a weapon, ect. Also, some are very good at H2H because it was already/became an interest, so they practice it on their own time.

That’s a good point Aussie Davo. AttackOfTheChris’s comment, while he probably didn’t mean it, reminded me of that guy who bragged about beating up a marine. That thread was a classic.[/quote]

Que???

[/quote]

somehow i think you’re retarded.

would like to know what FM or TM you read that in, OP.

here it is
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3788616/Ebook-Martial-Arts-Us-Military-Boxing-Trainers-Manual-1

Its the Westpoint US Military academy intramural boxing coaches manual. I would actually think there is some truth to not hitting the heavy bag two weeks out.

Aussie Davo wrote:

Do you mean JUST special forces or special ops in general? Why does it matter that much to you? Don’t wanna be a dick but would you get an ego boost knowing you can beat a special ops guy in hand to hand combat?[/quote]

Meant nothing of the kind. I was more referring to the general population’s conception of a Special Forces operators all being super secret killers with their bare hands. I don’t meant anything disrespectful to them in any way, attempting SF selection is something I aspire to do later down the track. But the fact I fail to see how this idea of them all being hand to hand combat experts comes about, considering the sheer amount of skillsets they have to master that are far more job specific and far more important than hand to hand skills.

On a somewhat related note: Why is it everyone seems to have this ridiculous notion that every special forces member would be an expert at hand to hand combat?[/quote]

theres been a lot of good boxers in the army but i’ve never heard to stop bag training that far out. We never did that while i was boxing in the army but then again we didnt stop and look at a manuel. We just did what the 1SGT told us. haha

AttackOfTheChris wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:

Do you mean JUST special forces or special ops in general? Why does it matter that much to you? Don’t wanna be a dick but would you get an ego boost knowing you can beat a special ops guy in hand to hand combat?

Meant nothing of the kind. I was more referring to the general population’s conception of a Special Forces operators all being super secret killers with their bare hands. I don’t meant anything disrespectful to them in any way, attempting SF selection is something I aspire to do later down the track. But the fact I fail to see how this idea of them all being hand to hand combat experts comes about, considering the sheer amount of skillsets they have to master that are far more job specific and far more important than hand to hand skills.
[/quote]

Hand to Hand in the ARMY is pretty basic stuff. Your weapon is your best friend brother. As for the hand to Hand they try not to fill your head with to many techniques. They teach you as few moves as possible that can be applied to as many diferent situation then drill and drill and drill until its second nature you know. If a soldier is down to fighting hand to hand there pretty much fucked any. We spend way more time on marksmanship.

Don’t know much about military boxing…but I’d like to think it doesn’t matter at all. I’m actually gonna look into this though…but I don’t think many fighters bother hitting the bag that much with all the pad work and sparring that is a lot more important then the bag a couple weeks out.

AttackOfTheChris wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:

Do you mean JUST special forces or special ops in general? Why does it matter that much to you? Don’t wanna be a dick but would you get an ego boost knowing you can beat a special ops guy in hand to hand combat?

[/quote]

I can agree with you on all of that. I guess you can also chalk it up to the public’s ignorance about their countries military. Oh and Hollywood. Again, I wasn’t trying to get on your case or anything, was just curious.

[quote]blackngrey609 wrote:

Hand to Hand in the ARMY is pretty basic stuff. Your weapon is your best friend brother. As for the hand to Hand they try not to fill your head with to many techniques. They teach you as few moves as possible that can be applied to as many diferent situation then drill and drill and drill until its second nature you know. If a soldier is down to fighting hand to hand there pretty much fucked any. We spend way more time on marksmanship.[/quote]

LOL. Best post on the thread. So true.

Aussie Davo wrote:
AttackOfTheChris wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:

I can agree with you on all of that. I guess you can also chalk it up to the public’s ignorance about their countries military. Oh and Hollywood. Again, I wasn’t trying to get on your case or anything, was just curious. [/quote]

Just blame Steven Seagal.