Hitting Homers, Macros and PRs

Hey nice to have you in my log! Thanks, dude. Yeah I’m starting my freshman year in September. Fall ball starts later in the month. D3 ball should be a fun experience albeit a less than glamorous one with not a lot of money being put into it. That’s what I get for kit being D1 material I guess lol

Upper body testing.
Bench: 225x1. 230x fail. 225 Ties PR from when I was 10 pounds heavier
150x12

Weighted pull-ups: me+50lbsx3

Neutral grip pull-ups me x13

Overhead press(video wil be posted soon) 120x3
75lbsx12

Pretty happy with today going to work on my squatting and high pulls this week to prepare for CT’s 915 program. I’ve decided to use the overhead press instead of the bench and the front squat.

Overhead pressing from today

Forgot to mention nutrition. Macros are at 180 pro 230 cho 100 fat this week.

Trying again

Went in and did some front squatting and high pulls along with some upper back / rear delt work (facepulls, band pull aparts and rear delt raises). SGHP’s were good but my squatting sucks. I need to get my hips in check before I start the 915 program because they hurt in different places and to different degrees every time I front squat back squat and even goblet squat.

[quote]MikeFitz3 wrote:
Good luck with college ball, man. Just finished my senior year playing D3 hoops. Awesome experience that I wouldn’t trade for the world. Some other former D3 guys with logs, so I’m sure they’ll be through to comment on yours, as well. Cheers![/quote]

Just found your log (I’m one of the other former D3 guys he’s referring to, though I played a real man’s sport instead of this baseball and basketball crap).

If you don’t mind my asking, where do you play? I’m a D3 sports nerd and try to follow random teams I have some affiliation with or reason to root for. No worries if you want to remain anonymous.

I’ve always thought weight training for baseball would be somewhat more complex than training for football because of the complexities of throwing and hitting. I could imagine benching and squatting having direct carry-over to football movements; but baseball requires such a specific skill set.

[quote]Samplaysbaseball wrote:
Forgot to mention nutrition. Macros are at 180 pro 230 cho 100 fat this week. [/quote]

Any particular reason your carbs are so low relative to fat?

Activitiesguy: not sure if I should say. Hmmm… Well I already posted videos of myself so staying anonymous is kind of out the window. NYU. First year having a baseball team since the 1970s. Lots of freshman recruits + lots of opportunity for playing time seeing as there will be about 3 non freshman on the team. It should be a great experience.

Strictly for baseball purposes training would be more complex and excercise selection would change to be more “careful,” for lack of a better term, than training for football, hockey, basketball etc.
I read a lot Eric Cressey and Tony Gentilcore who work with lots of high level college and pro players and they don’t back squat, overhead press, bench and rarely even db bench with their baseball guys to be cautious with their arms and mobility/stability issues unique to baseball players. They seem to focus on rotator cuff exercises, single leg work and trap bar deadlifts for lower body work with joint friendly exercises like single arm cable rows, landmine presses and weighted push-ups for upper body. Cressey and Gentilcore are both super smart, logical and eloquent in their stances on training baseball players I should add. However, I do not train like they train their guys at all as you can probably tell from my log. It’s not because their way isn’t effective it’s just that I lift because I like it and what it does for me (to put it rather plainly). I like to bench, squat deadlift and overhead press etc. and these lifts have not given me any trouble with my arm as of yet. Now if I was throwing 90mph+ as a pitcher or was a d1 player and had a legitimate chance at being drafted, I would train differently. Frankly, my arm is nothing special and I won’t get drafted so I train to get stronger, bigger and leaner which I wholeheartedly believe will help with baseball even though I don’t train how a baseball player ideally should in the eyes of those that are way smarter when it comes to the training of ball players than I am. I hope that makes sense. Pwolves, feel free to tell me if I’m being a young, naive and reckless knucklehead.

Pwolves: Yes my fats are pretty high. It’s a personal preference thing mainly. Fats satiate me far more than carbs do. Also, my training is and has been pretty low volume so I think it’s best to keep carbs a bit low right now. When I start the 915 program, which is pretty high in volume for the first 3 weeks, I will lower my fats to 75-90 grams and put carbs somewhere in the high 200’s, low 300’s. The range depends on my weight this weekend. I will update my exact macros on Saturday/ Sunday. Again, since you are bigger leaner and more experienced than I, feel free to tell me if I’m doing something sub-optimal.

Activitiesguy: not sure if I should say. Hmmm… Well I already posted videos of myself so staying anonymous is kind of out the window. NYU. First year having a baseball team since the 1970s. Lots of freshman recruits + lots of opportunity for playing time seeing as there will be about 3 non freshman on the team. It should be a great experience.
[/quote]

No kidding! I am a Carnegie Mellon alum and saw our basketball team play NYU every year; both are members of the University Athletic Association for most sports. However, I personally never played against NYU - they do not have a football team - and you’ll probably not play against CMU because we do not have a varsity baseball team (there is a club team).

In any case, Division III sports are a lot of fun. It’s still a higher level of competition than the layperson often realizes (yes, we’re better than a HS team - a lot better!), and you’ll be able to enjoy a full college experience as well. NYU is a great school. Good luck!

hahaha yeah. The UAA is a weird conference. Schools all over the country, many lacking pretty common sports. As for your second point, It sometimes surprises people that D3 schools recruit and take their sports seriously. People always say, “I bet he can walk on D3 somewhere,” without realizing the amount of recruits and time commitment in season involved along with the level of play being higher than high school teams.

As for your second point, It sometimes surprises people that D3 schools recruit and take their sports seriously. People always say, “I bet he can walk on D3 somewhere,” without realizing the amount of recruits and time commitment in season involved along with the level of play being higher than high school teams.[/quote]

You’ll encounter this a lot. Most people seem surprised that it’s anything more serious than a club. They think we practice like once or twice a week, have games seemingly at random, etc. They don’t realize that, yes, we have full-time coaches, we practice every day, we have offseason workouts, etc.

Whenever someone asks if my Division III football team would have beaten a good high school team, my answer is either:

1. If I’m in a short mood: “Yes. By about 50.”

2. If I feel like being more detailed: “My college football team had about 100 guys on it each year. Of those, probably about 97-98 started for their high school teams, 75 were given some all-conference recognition, and 50 were team captains. Every single starter was one of the three or four best players for his high school team. Yes, we would beat a good high school team. Badly.”

(I acknowledge that the absolute BEST big-school programs in Texas and Florida might beat the absolute worst Division III team out there, but that has more to do with the low quality at the very bottom of the Division than anything else)

But - even with that small point aside - it’s a great experience, you’ll get to travel and make some great friends, the games are a blast, and you have the added bonus of starting a program from scratch, which might be tough but will also be rewarding.

I agree with everything you just wrote. I’ll keep you updated on what my experience is like. Starts pretty soon :slight_smile:

Did some front squats (still don’t feel great) KB swings back extensions in the weight room. Sprinted in the park a few hours later. I Did two build up sprints (gradually increasing speed in first 10 yards) at about 90% speed and one sprint from a standstill at the same pace. These sprints felt pretty quick and explosive. I’m interested to see what my 60 yard dash time is if they time it at tryouts.

Going to sprint 1-2 times per week from now until the fall season ends. After that I’ll be a bit more aggressive with my weight gain. Weighed in at 182.4 this morning. If weight doesn’t come down may lower fats a bit. I’m ok with my weight going a bit but not now since I haevnt done enough the past 1.5 weeks that would trigger hypertrophy.

I thought you were reversing?

I was for 4 weeks. I Got pretty high in carbs up to 320 maintaining weight which is a lot for me. My volume has dropped the past two weeks, so I dropped the cals a bit. Last week I deloaded and this week I tested my maxes and now my volume is pretty low because of that since I’m basically practicing the front squat and high pull with some iso work and conditioning mixed in. I will continue to up my carbs starting next week when I start my new program.

Honestly, I would love to do more and eat more right now and continue reversing but I don’t thinks it’s such a good idea since I maxed out in both weight and reps on 4 big lifts Saturday and Monday and need to get some good front squat and high pull work in before next week.

Morning weight: 181.4
Fill out a men’s large T-shirt day
Pull-ups, biceps, triceps, facepulls rear delts and goblet squats. Goblet squats feel MUCH better. Narrow stance with toes flared out a bit is the way to go for me. Going to hit something heavy tomorrow on the front squat tomorrow to set myself up for CT’s program. Will go heavy on high pulls Saturday and will start the program Monday.

Morning weight:181.8
Tested both front squats and high pulls today. These will be my maxes for the program. Just going to do some Iso work and sprints tomorrow before I start the program Sunday/Monday. I’m pretty excited start since my training has been unstructured this week.
Anyway…

My hips felt good during front squats until the weights got heavy. Luckily I’ll have plenty of time to get my hip tightness sorted out before I have to go heavy in the 915 program. Did sets of 3’s adding 10-20 pounds each set starting at 95lbs. Hit 175x1. video will be posted soon

Moved on to snatch grip high pulls
Started at 95lbs adding 20 lbs each set doing sets of 3 until 175. Hit 185x1 then backed down and did a good set with 135. Video will be posted soon.

Pull-ups/ biceps then out

If anyone wants to tell me why my hips hurt from this squat, let me know please.

High pull max