T Nation

Hitting A Wall

I just started working out in January of this year. I made a New Year’s resolution to take care of myself physically, and so far I have seen results. I am 26 now, but prior to January, had weighed 135 lbs since I was 15. In the 6 months since I have stuck to the adage bestowed on virtually every noob in my position “Eat BIG, lift BIG”. Though I wouldn’t say I’m lifting BIG, I’m lifting as much as I can, and increasing whenever possible.

However, I still feel like the gains are minimal, and all the BIG eating is just giving me a BIG stomach. Plus, while I’m noticing muscle development in some areas, I am not seeing it so much in others, though I work every area regularly. Currently doing 2x/wk weights and 2/wk muay thai.

STATS:
ht: 5’10"
wt: 165 lbs (my greatest triumph)
bf%: 18% (YIKES!!)
biceps: 14"
calves: 14"
thighs: 22"
chest: 36"
waist: 33"

bench: 140
squat: 160
deadlift: 155 (need help here)

Though these may be somewhat unimpressive stats, please keep in mind that I had never lifted so much as a dumbbell before January of this year. Here are my issues: I am gaining musculature in biceps, chest, calves and thighs.

However, I am seeing zero results in my back, forearms, neck, and shoulders. I have a full weight setup in my basement with squat rack, preacher curl attachment and leg thingy (like my precise terminology?) for $200, but it’s brand new! Anyway, before I ramble myself into oblivion…HELP!!!

make sure your eating clean as well as “big” try training like this
if your max is 155 in deadlift

warm up

3x95
3x115
3x135
1x new max or old max

just throwing this out there because some people dont know it… lifting big dosent mean lots of reps it means big weight also dont eat for like 3 hours before you sleep other than drinks “whey” “milk” that could keep you from gaining some unwanted fat

lets see your routine your reps and weight for the lifts also make sure your not doing deadlift and squat on the same week and get plenty of rest

I’m a beginner too. I’m following Berardi’s Scrawny to Brawny book and seeing fairly good results. Berardi is the author most people seem to recommend if you’re trying to bulk up.

Focus on pushing all your lifts up substantially. What are you doing on your two days? A routine like 5x5 is excellent for beginners.

Well what stands out to me is that you’re only lifting 2 days a week. I’d say you should be lifting atleast 3 days a week.

[quote]AndrewGpv03 wrote:
Well what stands out to me is that you’re only lifting 2 days a week. I’d say you should be lifting atleast 3 days a week. [/quote]

I agre with Andrew

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
AndrewGpv03 wrote:
Well what stands out to me is that you’re only lifting 2 days a week. I’d say you should be lifting atleast 3 days a week.

I agre with Andrew
[/quote]

Hell why not 4 or 5 even? [/sarcasm]

You are a beginner! Don’t expect this shit to happen overnight. Keep doing what you are doing, all while increasing your knowledge and your lifts, and if after a couple of [i]years[/i] you still aren’t making much progress (which you should be if you keep reading this site and keep getting smarter) then it’s time to start wondering.