Hitting a Punching Bag for Cardio

Hi

My goals are to look good naked. I don’t plan on taking part in any body building or power lifting contests. I’ve been training for about 7 months and have seen some very good gains using methods and techniques prescribed on this site. Thank you

I’m thinking doing some boxing for cardio work (hitting a punching bag). I’ve done it a couple of times before and it really gets your heart rate up.

I was just wondering if there are any negatives in doing this. If I look at the bodies of boxers I cannot see a reason not to do it as they all have descent amounts of muscle strapped across their bodies.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Great cardio.

It can wear your ass out in no time. Must be great cardio.

works great, I alternate between interval running, punching bag, and practicing my lacrosse throws / catches off a wall for my cardio.

Hitting the punching is the one cardio I will never get tired off. Also, if you do all the techniques right, it would teach you how to box a lot better. And that is always a plus.

Thanks for the responses.

I plan to alternate between interval training and punching bag hitting.

Thanks again

Any recommendations for a home set up on the cheap?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Any recommendations for a home set up on the cheap?[/quote]

Heavy bag or home gym?

Oh BTW, if you’re new to boxing or any MA where punching and bag-work is the norm, then go easy on the heavy bag until your wrists become more conditioned to it. If you are new to punching and haven’t done a lot of punch specific training (knuckle pushups, focus mitts, speed bag, and form work)you should probably wear wrist wraps when you work the bag. Be especially careful when throwing shovel-hooks and when throwing straight punches while the bag is swinging towards you. If you roll your wrist badly then your lifting will be seriously limited for a while.

It’s a damn good workout. Just start slow, don’t try to work it like Roy Jones Jr. when you’re only a couple weeks in.:slight_smile:

I know that former well-known trainer Mick Hart trains his kid exclusively on bag work and swears by it as the best cardio yet.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
Any recommendations for a home set up on the cheap?

Heavy bag or home gym?

Oh BTW, if you’re new to boxing or any MA where punching and bag-work is the norm, then go easy on the heavy bag until your wrists become more conditioned to it. If you are new to punching and haven’t done a lot of punch specific training (knuckle pushups, focus mitts, speed bag, and form work)you should probably wear wrist wraps when you work the bag. Be especially careful when throwing shovel-hooks and when throwing straight punches while the bag is swinging towards you. If you roll your wrist badly then your lifting will be seriously limited for a while.

It’s a damn good workout. Just start slow, don’t try to work it like Roy Jones Jr. when you’re only a couple weeks in.:)[/quote]

Heavy bag, wall-mount-type-deal setup. I’ve been wanting to pick one up for a while.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Hitting the punching is the one cardio I will never get tired off. Also, if you do all the techniques right, it would teach you how to box a lot better. And that is always a plus.[/quote]

That is true but you are not going to be doing the techniques right without a coach. Even if your punches seem like you are imitating videos you have seen I can gurantee you are makeing mistakes that you are not noticing. Not saying it won’t be ok for endurance but don’t be like most people who swing at the bag and think the more the bag swings the harder they are hitting it (pushing punches) and then think that they can actually fight from this.