HIT vs. Renegade Training

Just thought it was interesting that Penn State, who uses the HIT training philosophy, beat Northwestern, who use Renegade Training.

Goes to show any team can beat any team on Saturday.

I’m not a fan of HIt, but I’m glad my boys won one. PSU played with a lot of nads yesterday. I think that the desire factor is the one thing thta’s needed, but it’s pretty hard to measure.

Well, obviously I hate to see Northwestern lose - but to see JoePa rewarded with a long overdue victory was great. What a great man he has been for collegiate athletics. In faith, Coach Davies

There are way too many factors involved to simply place the result of a sporting contest on training styles.

Strength coaches taking credit for an entire teams success reminds me a an article I read in the Philadelphia Inquirer recently. Congratulations Coach Paterno.

Dear Editor, The article featuring Donavan McNabb's off-season preparation is a tribute to his untiring work ethic and unremitting leadership. However, Donavan McNabb's successes cannot be attributed to the new era "gadget coaches" that are in vogue. Every elite athlete is at least fifty- percent genetics. Mr. and Mrs. McNabb are first to be credited for their contribution. Second, Donavan's childhood coaches are to be recognized. Not just football coaches all of his coaches at every sport. The first coaches in a child's sport development are the most important. A youngster's greatest development of skills and psychological foundation of sport is developed between the ages of 4 and 12. His high school and college coaches played a large role in his achievements. How about Coach Reid? Surely Donavan's progression as a NFL quarterback can be linked to Coach Reid's teachings. Finally, Donavan's constant analysis of game tape, play studying and work with receivers in the off-season makes him a MVP candidate. Many new fangeled physical therapists and conditioning coaches who employ out-of-the-box training tools instead of specific sport preparation take credit for an athlete's success. How can they do that? By the time Donavan McNabb had reached the NFL level, he was probably exposed to a dozen coaches. The only way Donavan will benefit from having dog toys thrown at him is if the opposing defensive team is of disgruntled PetSmart employees.

I offer my congratulations to JoePa too!(Now if he can just get some DISTANCE between him and “The Bear”!)Coach…wouldn’t you agree that Coach Paterno’s influence extends beyond football, per se? All the way from influencing young men’s lives in ways that affect many of them today, to being one (among many) that brought legitimacy to the fields of Sports Medicine, Strength and Conditioning? Coach Paterno and Penn State (again, among others)almost “created” whole fields of study.

Question, Coach. With it being both difficult for a young man today to get a head coaching job in Division 1, coupled with a lack of patience to “build” programs, do you think that it will be almost “impossible” to come close to the record of JoePa and “The Bear?”

Yes, obviously there are a lot more variables than what training system people use that determines outcome. BUT to dismiss all the strength coaches and say that they had nothing to do with the victory is ridiculous. College athletes spend more time with the strength coach than they do with the football coaches. Is Northwestern competitive though because of renegade training? I think so, especially with the lower talent level there because of the tougher academic standards. Could Penn State be a better football team if they had a great strength and conditioning program to go along with their great head coach? I think so.

For the ignorant, Coach Davies, please fill us in on your commitment to Northwestern and Clemson University. How much time with the team have you personally put into each program during the off-season and in-season?

In reply to the person who posted to me “& others” - youre comment was very true. Coach Paterno’s influence has been extraordinary on collegiate athletics. I know you mentioned sports medicine and training but I think you should really broaden his scope. He has done so much to positively influence the role in education. Your other comment in someone challenging these coaching records, I would have to agree with as well. The game is in a constant state of change and it is next to impossible to maintain a quality group of assistant coaches along with an patient AD & alumni. In faith, Coach Davies

I don’t know your background, whether as a coach or player but your take on the amount of time athletes spend with their strength coaches is completely true. Athletes basically spend upwards of the maximum amount of time (11 hours per NCAA guidelines) training with there coaches. And of course the role of a coach is far more than simply the physical element of training but motivating them constantly. I guess its pretty easy to see how much I love coaching. I hope to hear from you again. In faith, Coach Davies

First of all, I wanted to ask you about the Philly Examiner article, I am dying to read it - it sounds interesting. Maybe just my opinion but Donavan is an extraordinarily gifted athlete who benefited from a tremendous strength coach while he was at Syracuse (who I believe is now in private practice) and then to give him even further leg up, he was lucky enough to have Andy Reid as his coach with the Eagles. As far as my time committment to my programs such as Clemson or Northwestern, they are rather large. As an example the total Clemson training routine and analysis was roughly 500 pages for last off-season. I prepare indepth analysis of each positions strengths and weaknesses. Without doing that, I think my work would be ineffective and not be satisfying the needs of the athletes/teams. Training programs are then developed for each area with various levels depending on the athlete stage. In very basic terms, there is a minimum of 4 levels of athlete’s in 3 major position groups for a total of 12 programs each mesocycle. In fact when you break out “skill” position athletes into WR & DB and “Interior Line” into “O” & “D” line, you expand that further so instead of 3 positional groups you have 5 (and 20 training programs). There are always special situations due to rehab work as well that further adds to the work. I hope that answers your question. I am starting with a few new programs next year and I am very excited about being a part of these schools. I look forward to hearing from you. In faith, Coach Davies

To make myself clear I did not mean Coach Davies in particular, but athletes spend lots of time with the head and assistant strength coaches at the respective school. I would say it would be about 2 hours per day plus any time players would come into just to talk to the strength coach. My original point is that a great strength coach will make a difference by first providing a quality program, help contort it to the athlete (i.e. Coach Davies) but then also be the coach that the players come talk to. During the offseason the players don’t see the head coaches much, especially with NCAA rules so tight on the coaches and less on the strength coach.

Trent, I am not sure what your point is here. It looks like you are saying that inspite of training (HIT being bad and Renegade being good) Penn beat NW. If that is the case then what makes you so sure that Renegade is so good, or that HIT is so bad? Clearly it’s not the outcome on the football field.

Sorry, Coach…the “others” reply was mine.Thanks for the insights! Question: People seem to keep arguing the influence of the Strength coach vs. other coaches; Renegade vs. HIT; however,like many things in life,doesn’t whether you win or lose on the field of battle have an incalcuable “X” factor, irregardless as to how well a team is prepared? Also…back to Coach Paterno…do you think he’ll come back for a few more years (I hope so) or call it quits? Mufasa

Great to hear from you. As you noted there are many factors that influence victory on the field. In my opinion the role as a coach is to maximize players/teams strong suit while understanding the style of attack a team plays and to minimize weaknesses. As far as debating systems, that is obviously for those who are confused with the role of a coach, which is to help the team win and develop the players accordingly. Oddly enough, HIT followers might be interested that a great deal of my private work is win dedicated HIT programs. As you may be aware, many of my teams utilize the “spread”, where frequency of play is much greater. This allows us to dictate play and actually put the opposition in a disadvantage. This is an obvious manner to bridge the gap when your competition has better recruits. If on the other hand you had recruiting class that was more advanced both in strength/size and speed and you were a “power-type” team you would adjust your training accordingly. As far as JoePa, I just would like to see him go out on as much a high note as possible and hope he has the staff and recruits to do that. I look forward to hearing from you. In faith, Coach Davies