HIT Training, Opinions?

Any one had any results from this? With a 4 day split and 1 warm up set and 1 working set to failure each exercise?

[quote]roger1111 wrote:
Any one had any results from this? With a 4 day split and 1 warm up set and 1 working set to failure each exercise?[/quote]

Can’t recommend it enough, you gotta have the guts to really push it to failure and beyond that, check out Dorian Yate’s articles and youtube videos on training then you can’t go wrong.

[quote]Hitkiller wrote:

[quote]roger1111 wrote:
Any one had any results from this? With a 4 day split and 1 warm up set and 1 working set to failure each exercise?[/quote]

Can’t recommend it enough, you gotta have the guts to really push it to failure and beyond that, check out Dorian Yate’s articles and youtube videos on training then you can’t go wrong. [/quote]
Can it benefit strength too? or mostly muscle growth

[quote]Hitkiller wrote:

[quote]roger1111 wrote:

Can’t recommend it enough, you gotta have the guts to really push it to failure and beyond that, check out Dorian Yate’s articles and youtube videos on training then you can’t go wrong. [/quote]
Ok how long should you do it for?

The majority of people (even pros) who get results from following HIT principles don’t truly perform ‘one set’ of an exercise. They perform ‘one set TO FAILURE’. The other ‘warm up’ sets are contributing to cumulative muscle fatigue whether they acknowledge it or not.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
The majority of people (even pros) who get results from following HIT principles don’t truly perform ‘one set’ of an exercise. They perform ‘one set TO FAILURE’. The other ‘warm up’ sets are contributing to cumulative muscle fatigue whether they acknowledge it or not.

S[/quote]

And it should be acknowledged because every set you do ramping up to the “failure set” is work too.

S[/quote]
Yea i understand, you mean even doing 1 or 2 warm sets ramping up to the working set?

OP I thought you decided to do 5/3/1?

it doesnt matter what im doing, just asking a question, can HIT be good for progressive strength?

[quote]roger1111 wrote:
it doesnt matter what im doing, just asking a question, can HIT be good for progressive strength?[/quote]

Yes it can be once you are monitoring your workouts and pushing yourself to do that extra rep or add that extra lb on the final set of a specific bodypart you are training. Its not something you’d wanna do in every workout though, perhaps do 6-8 weeks of training to all out failure, then maybe 2 weeks of slightly lower intensity so you don’t burn out, even take a week off weight training completly.

But primarily the idea of HIT is to work the muscle beyond the capacities its used to, to cause muscle damage then rest to allow the muscle to recover and repair and essentially get bigger and stronger.

What are your specific goals?

Any routine can aid progressive strength. That doesn’t mean you need to waste time on all of them.

[quote]roger1111 wrote:

I’ve seen plenty of people benefit from this. The imporant part is continually added weight or reps to the exercise and getting enough food to grow.

The biggest muscle gain over 10 weeks I have ever witnessed (this was without steroids! trust me on this) was a guy doing 2 or 3 full body HIT sessions a week, with forced reps on most exercises. He was eating 6-7 medium sized meals a day composed of primarily carbs and protein. He put on a solid 15-20 lbs of muscle (verified by a bod-pod), his final weight was 233 pounds at 6’1" and if I remember correctly 11% body fat. He was not a newb, he liften over 4 years bringing his bodyweight up from 170 to 210 prior to this period all at 6’1".

This guy was insane, his ability to push himself (to the point of getting injured on multiple occassions) was unmatched. His anger and will power were scarry to some people. I’m pretty sure this guy could have gotten results doing many different programs. That being said it’s the craziest thing I’ve witnessed in terms of short term muscle growth (not recovery but NEW GROWTH)

S[/quote]

This.

Even Mike Mentzer (in the years when he was still competitive) did quite many sets per exercise. Like 4 progressively heavier sets for “warm-up” and then one all-out set. The total tonnage and volume was pretty high. He later just didn’t his warm-up sets anymore…

Personally, I didn’t progress well on HIT, when I tried it. High volume, high force training with no grinding involved (not going to failure) has worked best for me.

[quote]roger1111 wrote:

[quote]Hitkiller wrote:

[quote]roger1111 wrote:
Ok how long should you do it for?[/quote]
You tell us.

Here’s an article that talks about some different HIT and HITish splits.

If you want to see what’s what, pick one split and work it full throttle for a month or two, tracking your progress (bodyweight and strength) along the way.

Anecdotally, I’ll say that whenever I had a time crunch situation and had to fit in a shorter workout, I felt like I had a more productive workout when I buckled down and thought HITishly.

I have been doing this style training for the last few weeks and what Stu said is exactly correct. The “warm-up” set is more of a moderate set where the last 2 or 3 reps are challenging. It is more like 3 total sets per exercise with the last set being balls to the wall.

It works but you have to regulate it more often, that is, you cannot go full bore 100% of the time. This is where I often used to get confused when hearing other people’s routines which were lower intensity (couldn’t understand the volume and lack of “cruising” phases).

It depends more on your personality than whether it works or not - some people love the feeling of killing themselves in a short period of time :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Any routine can aid progressive strength. That doesn’t mean you need to waste time on all of them.[/quote]
Yea true, im just trying to put on lean muscle i guess with strength gains along the way. Been training for nearly 2 years and still progressing with that im doing now, but just wanted to change it up after i saw a few videos of dorian and HIT. Should i just keep doing what im doing and then when i plateau should i give this a go? Or just give this a go now and see how i go?

[quote]deat wrote:

[quote]roger1111 wrote:

I’ve seen plenty of people benefit from this. The imporant part is continually added weight or reps to the exercise and getting enough food to grow.

The biggest muscle gain over 10 weeks I have ever witnessed (this was without steroids! trust me on this) was a guy doing 2 or 3 full body HIT sessions a week, with forced reps on most exercises. He was eating 6-7 medium sized meals a day composed of primarily carbs and protein. He put on a solid 15-20 lbs of muscle (verified by a bod-pod), his final weight was 233 pounds at 6’1" and if I remember correctly 11% body fat. He was not a newb, he liften over 4 years bringing his bodyweight up from 170 to 210 prior to this period all at 6’1".

This guy was insane, his ability to push himself (to the point of getting injured on multiple occassions) was unmatched. His anger and will power were scarry to some people. I’m pretty sure this guy could have gotten results doing many different programs. That being said it’s the craziest thing I’ve witnessed in terms of short term muscle growth (not recovery but NEW GROWTH)[/quote]
This sounds like a great achievement. Im eating around the same

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]roger1111 wrote:

[quote]Hitkiller wrote:

[quote]roger1111 wrote:
Ok how long should you do it for?[/quote]
You tell us.

Here’s an article that talks about some different HIT and HITish splits.

If you want to see what’s what, pick one split and work it full throttle for a month or two, tracking your progress (bodyweight and strength) along the way.

Anecdotally, I’ll say that whenever I had a time crunch situation and had to fit in a shorter workout, I felt like I had a more productive workout when I buckled down and thought HITishly.[/quote]
Thanks for this site! Really helps me out. Ive also been wondering how can you use pull ups as HIT? Ive read something like going slow and and down? Or is it a weighted thing?

[quote]roger1111 wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Any routine can aid progressive strength. That doesn’t mean you need to waste time on all of them.[/quote]
Yea true, im just trying to put on lean muscle i guess with strength gains along the way. Been training for nearly 2 years and still progressing with that im doing now, but just wanted to change it up after i saw a few videos of dorian and HIT. Should i just keep doing what im doing and then when i plateau should i give this a go? Or just give this a go now and see how i go? [/quote]

Dorian didn’t train HIT like many people like to act like he did. He did several sets…and ramped up. In fact, short of how he did his last set, I am not sure how people can call what he actually did “HIT”. Not to mention many blame his style of training for the many injuries he sustained.

I can understand your interest, however…I just know the actual results I have seen from many die hard “HIT-ites” is not all that impressive. Just keep an open mind. If you want try that, do so. Just don’t become one of those who ignores the actual progress being made as if the routine itself is magic.