T Nation

Hit Me With It

As you can see…I need to gain some serious muscle mass. I know this picture deserves a rating below what you can possibly give, but I am posting it for a few reasons: First, as a before pic. I have been training for about a month now and will continue to do so until I reach my goals. In a month or so I will post another, and hopefully there will be vast improvement.

Second, I figure the posts I get from you guys about how weak this pic is can only help to motivate me. And third, I would like advice from anyone willing to help a guy out. If anyone asks I will post more specifics about my training and diet.

You look like any other person that doesn’t lift weights. But starting out skinny its not hard to pick up mass. Just eat right, workout, dring protein shakes and creatine will have you big in no time.

EAT SOMETHING!!

I’m resisting every natural urge I have to flame. What does your training and diet look like? I’m interested in helping you out.

-dizzle

Hey man,
What’s your diet look like? There are enough great workout programs on this site that you can pick however, we need to see how you are doing in the diet area.

Eat a lot of meat, drink a lot of milk.

ok at least you have a very good “before” pic to show everyone if you manage to make any gains in the next few years. but of course you do not yet have any hint of a “physique” in which to rate. and i doubt ur gonna look any different a month from now. this takes YEARS. but hey everyone starts somewhere so just be consistant in both training and diet and at least you’ll be in the right direction.

Well you say in your profile that your strength’s been improving since you started. This is probably mostly due to your body becoming more efficient at moving the weights, but anyway it’s a start. If your bodyweight is not going up you need more calories, simply as that.

Other advice:
I would move this post to the Beginners section and make it into a log.

I would also say read the sticky at the top of the beginners section for progs and nutrition info.

Also post your diet in there and then people will be able to give you more input.

Good luck

Oh yeah and no way do you look 25 even with the facial hair…hope you stay looking that young over the next 25 yrs :slight_smile:

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Your picture is sideways.
Your watch is cheap.
You don’t know how to pose.
You can’t grow decent facial hair.
You weigh as much as a broom.

Shave, Rotate Photo, Eat, Lift, don’t go to art class. [/quote]

Even when I rotate it…it uploads sideways
I like my watch
I know
My fiance likes it so it stays
haha…I know I’m thin, but if my broom weighed 115 sweeping would be a pain in the butt!

I’ll post this in the beginner section and start a blog up…thanks for those who gave some helpful advice…you will be able to find my diet and training routine on my blog from now on. Peace!

Dude you just started lifting weights, and you are thin. Anyhow you can easily pack on some extra weight by basically doubling your daily calorie intake. You are going to need to eat ALOT.

If you don’t have protein powder, buy some. And use it at will. Eat alot of meat, eggs, peanut butter. Don’t be afraid to mix raw eggs with protein powder and milk (maybe a banana, some olive oil). Don’t fear the egg, you were once an egg, so was I.

Anyhow some people say don’t drink raw eggs, protein is not absorbed, or that they contain dangerous bacteria. Heres my response, first Japanese and Koreans have tones of dishes that calls for raw eggs, they eat raw eggs all the time. THey are OK. I have eaten 1000’s I am ok. About the protein absorbtion , the first few days you drink alot of raw eggs you may have an upset stomach. During this time the protein may not be fully absorbed. Once your body gets used to the sweet sweet beautiful chicken egg you will be OK, and I’m fairly confident the protein will be absorbed.

I went from 165 pounds about 3 years ago to my 210 now. In one year I went from 165 to about 200. Now I wanna go up to 230. I have the EGG to thank.

Peace Brotha

you need to start squating, and learn about lifting technique. You get the basics down and start from there. You might want to start out with a trainer, tell em you wanna get big…

Ok…so I posted my workout and a sample diet in my blog. Feel free to visit my site and give some feedback…thanks!

Deadlift…man I’m tellin you, throw the deadlift into your routine. A lot of people hate to squat, and others have problems with legs getting too big and upper body not getting any real size (curse those genetics) so deadlift is a suitable alternative.

Makes a big difference over time in your physique. Do it 2 times a week. Some will tell you 2 times a week is too much. I’m not one of them. I do the bill starr 5 x 5 routine alternating weight from 5 rep max day 1, 80% of 5 RM on day 3, and 90% of 5 RM on day 5 in place of the squat.

I believe that if you’re able to squat heavy 3x/week you should be able to deadlift 3x/week as well in place of the squat…UNLESS…unless these people are saying the squat is easier than the deadlift? Hmmm…aren’t those like fighting words here?

I wouldn’t worry about your fiancee- he’ll understand if you shave that shit off your lip. Just because you won’t be able to give moustache rides anymore doesn’t mean you’re selfish…no matter what he says.

[quote]thegoodfight82 wrote:
Ok…so I posted my workout and a sample diet in my blog. Feel free to visit my site and give some feedback…thanks![/quote]

I read your sample diet and you aren’t eating anything. I’m a slender fellow, but i put on 30 pounds in the last year so i know a little something about starting out. First off, i wouldn’t drink juice if i were you, only milk and water, preferably milk with fat in it. You need to be eating meat in almost every meal. Go to a grocery store and buy some ground beef and cook it up with some vegetables in it. Snack on some almonds since they pack a lot of calories in them.

Add stuff like avocados to some of your meals since they also have calories and fat in them. If you are too lazy to cook sometimes find a good protein bar or a weight gainer shake. If i were you i would try and eat at least 4000 calories a day.

[quote]USNS physique wrote:
Deadlift…man I’m tellin you, throw the deadlift into your routine. A lot of people hate to squat, and others have problems with legs getting too big and upper body not getting any real size (curse those genetics) so deadlift is a suitable alternative.

Makes a big difference over time in your physique. Do it 2 times a week. Some will tell you 2 times a week is too much. I’m not one of them. I do the bill starr 5 x 5 routine alternating weight from 5 rep max day 1, 80% of 5 RM on day 3, and 90% of 5 RM on day 5 in place of the squat.

I believe that if you’re able to squat heavy 3x/week you should be able to deadlift 3x/week as well in place of the squat…UNLESS…unless these people are saying the squat is easier than the deadlift? Hmmm…aren’t those like fighting words here?

I wouldn’t worry about your fiancee- he’ll understand if you shave that shit off your lip. Just because you won’t be able to give moustache rides anymore doesn’t mean you’re selfish…no matter what he says.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice…deadlifts were in my last workout. I have some physical problems that prohibit me from doing solid deadlifts that would actually help…even when I squat it has to be on a self spotter.

As far as the facial hair…it stays until my fiance (she) says otherwise. I’m not insecure so I can take the harrasment from you :0)

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
thegoodfight82 wrote:
Ok…so I posted my workout and a sample diet in my blog. Feel free to visit my site and give some feedback…thanks!

I read your sample diet and you aren’t eating anything. I’m a slender fellow, but i put on 30 pounds in the last year so i know a little something about starting out. First off, i wouldn’t drink juice if i were you, only milk and water, preferably milk with fat in it. You need to be eating meat in almost every meal. Go to a grocery store and buy some ground beef and cook it up with some vegetables in it. Snack on some almonds since they pack a lot of calories in them.

Add stuff like avocados to some of your meals since they also have calories and fat in them. If you are too lazy to cook sometimes find a good protein bar or a weight gainer shake. If i were you i would try and eat at least 4000 calories a day.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice…diet is definitely my biggest weakness, which stinks cuz it’s the most important. I will follow your advice and try to consume 4000 calories a day and drink alot of milk, as well as eating meat with most every meal…to be honest though, I doubt I’ll be able to resist an occasional fruit juice with breakfast.

Tell us what these physical problems are- why can’t you deadlift? Maybe you should just do bodyweight stuff until you get some decent level of development. They have these rotating push up things that are very good- get them. Work the bodyweight stuff until such a time as you can progress to actual weights.

You look to have a small bone structure so don’t expect miracles here. You don’t look particularly short, so you have your work cut out for you.

I don’t know what the deal with the juice is- why they say not to drink it escapes me. In any case, yeah you need to eat but unless you’re looking to be dialed-in as far as definition and al the rest then you really don’t need to stress the exact proportions of this or that in order to get size on. I don’t watch what I eat as far as protein and carbs (I don’t eat stuff that is high fat, though- but I’m not afraid of a salami sandwich here and there) and I just did my routines and went from 190 to 207 in about 2 months with no increase in the waistline but with great gains in strength and muscularity.

I couldn’t tell you how much protein I had in a day for the past 6 months or more and it hasn’t affected me in any noticable way. Unless you’re trying to go competitive I think diet is stressed way too much. Sure, you’re an ecto but the solution is never to force feed yourself- the real solution is to gain 5-10lbs over a few months and then maintain your new weight for over 6 months.

Once you are able to maintain that new weight you will see your body holds onto it and it becomes your new natural bodyweight (for most). Then, and only then, eat more until you gain another 5-10 lbs. Repeat the aforementioned procedure, and in a year you should have added a decent, non-illusory-non-fat/water-weight amount of weight (10-20lbs) and size that you won’t have to worry about disappearing as soon as you stop chewing that last mouthful of food.

So, what is this physical problem of yours?

[quote]USNS physique wrote:

So, what is this physical problem of yours?
[/quote]

It’s kind of a long story…but to shortin it you might liken me to someone with a very mild case of serebral palsey. I was born without an immune system and one of the treatments they gave me backfired and I had what you could call I mild stroke. It effected only my lower body. I can’t bend down without rounding my back…which of course is a big no no when it comes to deadlifts.

As far as experience with using weights…I don’t consider my self a beginner (as in having never used them before). I just have a very difficult time with lower body stuff…especially deadlifts. I can squat fine if it is self spotting…my balance is way off as well.

Anyway, I have been doing a 25% stronger program a friend of mine uses…and in the last month my bench has gone up from barely being able to get 2 sets of 5 at 85 lbs, to lifting 4 sets of 8 at 95lbs. My fiance and I have noticed some gains in muscle (the above pic was taken over the summer), and I have actually gained some weight. I was 110 with just boxers a few weeks ago…and now I’m a solid 115, pushing 116.

One more thing…one of the reasons I have such a hard time gaining weight is that I have IBS like no other…and I can’t seem to figure out what bothers me cuz it’s never consistent. So I feel like I’m losing alot of nutrients that I should be absorbing into muscle. So all I can think to do is eat the best that I can and keep chuggin on! Thanks for the post…peace

sounds like you have a few hurdles in front of you, hope it all pans out to what you want, train hard, eat well, and good luck

re: IBS–I’d talk to John Berardi about that. He helped Dave Tate a lot.

re: everything else–up your freaking calories. But it’s going to be challenging with IBS and the fact that you’re never eating anything, so up them by maybe 400 cal/ week. You absolutely must have a log to track your increase and verify that you are in fact raising calories. Let your body get a (albeit small) handle on the increasing food intake. It will give you no end of trouble if you’re trying to do it all at once.

re:lifting–I really like the 5x5 program, but I don’t think it’s what you need right now. You need to stay in the above 6 rep category. Sorry to hear about your phys. difficulties-I don’t think I’d feel like a human being if I couldn’t deadlift and squat. As Jon Paul Sigmarrson once said “there’s no point in being alive if you can’t do the deadlift.” Anyway, if you’re determined enough you’ll find a way to succeed regardless.