T Nation

Hit A Plateau

Hi there.

I’m a 15 year old kid who recently started weight training and cardio in order to lose weight. On December 1st, I was 5’7", 183lbs. As of now, I’m 5’8" (roughly) and 162lbs. Through the first week of January I had lost 23lbs.

However, I’ve recently hit a plateau and haven’t been able to break it. I also put back on 2lbs., but I don’t know whether this is fat or muscle. I’m saving up for a skin fold calliper, but all I have right now is the naked eye and a scale.

I was wondering what your advice would be for breaking this plateau. My target is to be between 145-150lbs by June, or alternatively once I can afford a calliper (the Accu-measure), to be able to lower my BF% enough to the point where I can clearly see my abs. I figure I’m about somewhere between 10-20lbs. off of that goal, more or less (If really necessary I can provide pictures, but I’m embarrassed of my current body, with good reason).

I’ve made changes to my diet and I do 90-minute cardio sessions once a day. I recently upped the speed that I jog at (3.5-4.0 MPH up from 3.0, though I’ve read here on T-Nation that optimally, 3MPH is the best for fat-burning cardio?) and I’ve already maxed out the incline I can go on my treadmill (10%). 3 times a week I go to the gym and lift weights, and I also have some dumbbells at home that I use every other day.

I can squat up to 350lbs, bench about 150 + bar, and incline I can do about 100 + bar (decline bench press is impossible for me). I don’t know my deadlifting max, because my form has been bad during deadlifts recently so I’ve had to make adjustments to be sure I’m doing it correctly, so the amount of weight at this point is less of an issue than getting it down correctly is.

I have been following a high-protein, low-carb diet a la the T-Dawg Diet, and that was working wonders until I hit this current plateau.

I’ve heard several different reasons of why I’ve hit a plateau, but I’m not totally sure which it is. It could be caloric intake (I only take in about 1500-1800 calories per day), it could be meal time differential (I have had trouble following the 5-8 meal per day rule, but I’m working on getting around it. Generally I’ve been eating 3-5 small meals per day.), etc.

I honestly don’t know what to do, and I know T-Nation is a rock when it comes to these things, so I wanted your opinions.

Overall my diet is pretty much like this:

Mornings - 2-3 egg whites w/ salt, 1 bowl of cereal (Cheerios, Puffed Wheat or Shredded Wheat) w/ Fat Free or 1% milk OR one small bowl of plain oatmeal w/ added cinnamon for flavor; 1 glass of milk or 1 glass of orange juice w/ 1-2 scoops whey protein powder, 1 apple or 1 orange.

Late mornings - One bottle of water, one apple/orange, a couple of sticks of Extra gum.

Afternoons - During the week it’s very skimpy, generally it’s an apple or another piece of fruit with some water and rarely a small amount of pretzels. During non-school days though, it’s usually 1 bowl of chicken noodle soup or 1 sandwich (low-sodium, turkey breast w/ 1 slice low-fat cheese [American or Cheddar] and 1 piece of iceberg lettuce on 2 slices whole wheat bread) and a salad (iceberg lettuce and either Light Ranch dressing or oil & vinegar).

Late afternoons - One bowl cereal (Cheerios, Puffed Wheat or Shredded Wheat) OR 1 bowl of soup (Progresso Chicken Noodle or Progresso Turkey Noodle); 1 fruit or vegetable; 1 glass of milk or water.

Dinnertime - Two 8oz. buffalo steaks, 1 bowl salad, 1 glass milk, water.

Late evenings - 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 small handful of dry cereal OR 3 pieces of Extra gum.

Nighttime - 2 pills Omega-3 Fatty Acid w/ water.

Are there any changes you can suggest that would help me reach my goal of 145-150lb range and/or being able to see my abs? Any tips or help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is really my one goal for the next 6 months, so yeah. :\

GOOD LORD 23 lbs in four week my suggestion back OFF bro your going to wreck your metabolism and at 15 going on a server hypocaloric diet is worse health wise for you then a regular person your at the edge of your yesr you grow and mature the m,ost and starving your self. .

IMO I would stop what your doing aim to eat Well maintian and grow into your body dont get fat but damn eat for your activity, performance and HEALTH bro.

So in short IMO you need to eat train and mature hell you cant have abs unless you have then to being with no matter how skinny you get. You are allready very small at 163 5’9 and likely to grow if you quite starving. this alone will lead to better body comp as well as they just plain maturity to come slowly going from boy to man. You are going to hinder that by NOT EATING

Thats my simple 2cc

Phill