T Nation

Hit 4 plates today in deadlift.

Today I finally hit 405lbs. I've been training for 5 months and today I weighed in at 160lbs. My happiest moment in the gym so far.

The lift wasn't the cleanest but I got it up. 2 weeks ago I couldn't even get it off the floor.

How long did it take you guys to hit this milestone and how much did you weigh?

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
Today I finally hit 405lbs. I’ve been training for 5 months and today I weighed in at 160lbs. My happiest moment in the gym so far.

The lift wasn’t the cleanest but I got it up. 2 weeks ago I couldn’t even get it off the floor.

How long did it take you guys to hit this milestone and how much did you weigh?[/quote]

Well done mate! Pretty damn good for your weight.

I remember the first time i deadlifted - Manage 3 plates i was about 190lbs and about 18 at the time.

I only tried them because there was this guy with huge traps at my gym n he said he never uses shrugs just deadlifts. I wanted huge traps so i did them with him one time to learn.

2 weeks later i hit 4 plates.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

I remember the first time i deadlifted - Manage 3 plates i was about 190lbs and about 18 at the time.

I only tried them because there was this guy with huge traps at my gym n he said he never uses shrugs just deadlifts. I wanted huge traps so i did them with him one time to learn.

2 weeks later i hit 4 plates. [/quote]

Thanks, I’m 28 so you had 10 years on me, it’s more impressive at 18. 40kgs in 2 weeks is a nice improvement, next goal for me is 3x body weight.

I had to use straps unfortunately, my grip strength hasn’t developed as much as my back strength yet. I only used straps for the 385lbs and 405lbs though.

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

2 weeks later i hit 4 plates. [/quote]

Thanks, I’m 28 so you had 10 years on me, it’s more impressive at 18. 40kgs in 2 weeks is a nice improvement, next goal for me is 3x body weight.

I had to use straps unfortunately, my grip strength hasn’t developed as much as my back strength yet. I only used straps for the 385lbs and 405lbs though.
[/quote]

I was always strong for my age when i was young, not so much anymore. Plus i had a year or 2 under my belt by then.

For 5 months work you’re doing well.

I used straps anything over 315, mainly because i dont want my grip to fail when trying to go heavy, im deadlifting after all not training my grip.

I normally do grip stuff seprate.

How (or why) have you been training for 5 months yet been here since 2009?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
How (or why) have you been training for 5 months yet been here since 2009?[/quote]

I’ve been out of the gym for 3 years for various reasons (lived in 4 different countries). Currently settled in South Korea so I’ve been able to dedicate my time better.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

I used straps anything over 315, mainly because i dont want my grip to fail when trying to go heavy, im deadlifting after all not training my grip.

[/quote]

This is my thinking too, I’d rather have a big back than a good grip.

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[/quote]

This is my thinking too, I’d rather have a big back than a good grip.[/quote]

I’m going to disagree somewhat on this point. I would agree that you shouldn’t let lagging grip strength hold your deadlifting back. But grip is important.

I like using a double-overhand grip as much as possible, on all my warm up and light sets. Sometimes I throw in static holds too. I try and use a mixed grip/straps only when I need to.

Deadlifted 405 about 2 months in at about 170lbs IIRC.

I definitely agree that grip is important. Because of that, I don’t jeopardize my grip training with deadlifting, and instead pull with straps so I can train my grip independently of the movement.

That is impressive pull especially at your bw. Have you considered using chalk. I had no idea how sweaty my hands got when training. Now that I use chalk my grip never gives out at any weight.

I agree that grip is important, as I said I only use straps for my heaviest sets and try and work as much as possible up until my grip fails.

I have been using overhand grip up until 120kg, then mixed until around 150kg then straps for the remaining weight. I feel that my dl is quite advanced for my training time and weight, so I would assume my back is quite a strong point. I guess my grip strength is not as I have relatively small forearms (and calves).

Unfortunately I am limited in gym choices and chalk is not an option. It was 35 degrees yesterday in Seoul, so sweating is definitely a contributing factor with my grip.

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[/quote]

This is my thinking too, I’d rather have a big back than a good grip.[/quote]
I use straps because it slips. I still squeeze the hell out of the bar so I really don’t know how much of the load the straps are taking.

Yo where you at in Seoul man? I’m in goyang.

“Great kid, don’t get cocky.”

[quote]Milkismurder wrote:
“Great kid, don’t get cocky.”[/quote]

I remember the first time I pulled 405. Right after I set it down I walked past a guy benching 405…

405 for reps count?

4 platezz

Dam you must be built to pull that’s quick progress congrats. When I did pull that 405 first time was a great feeling. I suck at Dead lifts I think it took me 8 months to go from 315 to 405 i think it was because my form was s hiity too, My PR today on a good day would be 405x3.