T Nation

Hit 30 Reps on the Deadlift

I hit 30 reps on the deadlift tonight, and it felt ok. I will shoot for between 35 and 40 next monday and will have the camera rolling just in case.

Edit: I originally thought I posted this in another thread so I omitted weight. It was 315 pounds.

For what?
How much Weight?

Not to rain on the parade but I never understood the point of repping deads.

yea what the hell are you doing that you would want to rep for like 40 deads in a row?!

today i hit 3 reps.

Awesome, i can only do 5!

hey, wait…

Really - why are you doing 30 rep sets of deadlifts? Are you getting in condition for harvesting a field of lettuce?

Or is this EDT you’re doing? In which case - good on you, mate!

wtf.

Deads should never go over 10, ever.

And the only reason they should go over 5 is during warmups.

I go 10, then 8, then straight into a 3x5 with work weight.

30 repping deadlifts is the most rediculous thing Ive ever heard, I was trying to think of some other lift that 30 reps would be more ridiculous in I could use in comparison.

And I cant come up with anything. Mabey Rack pulls ? Those are limited ROM deads, so I dont think that counts.

impressive feat.

having to move 3 tons of soil through a house in buckets, then the rolls of turf for a back garden would be a better workout

oh hey, thats what i did at work yesterday.
good db clean and press practice

Why?

Maybe the guy did 30 total reps with his work weight.

[quote]daraz wrote:
Maybe the guy did 30 total reps with his work weight.[/quote]

What weight tho??

He obviously got excited about whatever is was he did, with whatever weight it was, and couldn’t wait to tell anyone! And ended up telling no-one…

It was 315 pounds, with straps, I’m trying to save my hands. I’m not sure I how I started a new thread on this it may have made more sense on another thread.

Regarding the advice that I should never go over 10 reps in the deadlift, ok thanks.

Bob Peoples repped 500lbs for 20. I would like to do the same. To what end? None.

315 for 30… in a row… that sounds like a strong effort.

But then again i can’t really relate. I’d have to try it myself i suppose to see how high rep deadlifts go. I’d be worried about my form deteriorating though.

How does that translate to a max deadlift (or a max set of 6 reps or something?) Does the high reps help you? When i was trying to increase my bodyweight reps of bench for a bet with a friend, i usually worked with higher weight than bodyweight. I would have thought if you wanted a set of 20 at 500 you’d first want to get to a 600+lb deadlift. Unless you’re already there.

[quote]tmcg86 wrote:
315 for 30… in a row… that sounds like a strong effort.

But then again i can’t really relate. I’d have to try it myself i suppose to see how high rep deadlifts go. I’d be worried about my form deteriorating though.

How does that translate to a max deadlift (or a max set of 6 reps or something?) Does the high reps help you? When i was trying to increase my bodyweight reps of bench for a bet with a friend, i usually worked with higher weight than bodyweight. I would have thought if you wanted a set of 20 at 500 you’d first want to get to a 600+lb deadlift. Unless you’re already there.[/quote]

Yes, that is 30 consecutive reps, no belt. I am working up to 40 reps and hope to get them next week. I didn’t deadlift for a while and I am just easing back into it with high reps and easy lifting.

It does not translate well at all to a max. I can’t tell you about a set of 6 as I do not do that. IMO a good way to prepare for high rep deads is to start with a decent max. Then train high reps to build some capacity. Why you would want to do this I don’t know.

I have long arms and a short torso and stand over 6’2". I have a fair build for deadlifting and I deadlift alot. From time to time it does kill my lower back so I would not recommend doing this to anyone.

Typically, after abusing myself with high reps for some time I switch to singles for a few months. I do use chains, no straps, no belt. After taking two years off from any training to speak of I high repped deadlifted for a while, then singled and managed 645lbs with no belt or straps. On the next workout I did some damage to my hand to the point that I could not grip 405lbs so I immediately laid off the deadlifts for about a month and a half.

After a week of working back into high reps I pulled 39 consecutive reps of 315lbs, with no purpose. I pull to success and not to failure straining to failure on the deadlift scares me.

Regarding benching higher numbers: When in college a friend of mine could do the same number of reps with 315lbs as I did. My max was about 100lbs heavier than his. I guess it is all in what you train for.

I high rep deadlift and survive because I can. Don’t try this at home.

skidmark’s avatar is amazing.

I see the best results when I stay between 5 and 8 reps on working sets with deads. I don’t think you have to go supper low reps on deads (I think this is why my DL max went down when trying west side). But that sounds overly painful, good luck with your goal.

Why ask why? If you think high rep squats are tough, give high rep deads a try. It’s a whole new world of hurt. This kind of stuff builds mental toughness, if nothing else. It makes everything else seem easier.

Well if he did it really fast. Wouldnt it work your grip real good? Maybe even get you a lil winded if you didnt do cario. idk This is an interesting theory. More reps…hmmmm. :smiley: