T Nation

History Teacher or Fitness Related Job?

I’m going to college in a year and I’m stuck on what to do. I’ve had always wanted to be a history teacher because I love teaching and I love history. All my biggest role models in my childhood till here have always been history teachers. Lately however I’ve been thinking about a job in the fitness business, like a personal trainer.

I love the thought of doing it and surround my self with my passion of weights. I’ve always had a dream of opening a gym. I’m stuck between the two and wonder if I could get any incites on either such as what you really need to succeed in both, day in the life, type of stuff. Money is not big deal to me. I know both Arnt going to make me rich. I figured I need to love what I do and ill be happy.
Ps. Ik personal training ill be stuck with mostly people wanting to lose weight and training kids.

Why not do high school history and be the S&C coach for the football team or some other sport?

Your first “insight” into being a teacher, is learn to fucking spell.

Where i teach, being an history teacher IS a fitness related job.

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Your first “insight” into being a teacher, is learn to fucking spell.[/quote]

He’s from Texas. That kind of stuff isn’t important to teachers down there.

[quote]kamui wrote:
Where i teach, being an history teacher IS a fitness related job. [/quote]

I dont get the joke, Like to explain?

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]kamui wrote:
Where i teach, being an history teacher IS a fitness related job. [/quote]

I dont get the joke, Like to explain?[/quote]

Most history teachers are coaches for sports teams in high school. Actually, a lot of them become history teachers SO they can coach sports. Or PE teacher.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]kamui wrote:
Where i teach, being an history teacher IS a fitness related job. [/quote]

I dont get the joke, Like to explain?[/quote]

I teach in a vocational highschool in Paris’s suburbs.
The places you see on TV when my students are rioting.

the job has a quite physical side sometimes.

[quote]texas man wrote:
I’m going to college in a year and I’m stuck on what to do. I’ve had always wanted to be a history teacher because I love teaching and I love history. All my biggest role models in my childhood till here have always been history teachers. Lately however I’ve been thinking about a job in the fitness business, like a personal trainer.

I love the thought of doing it and surround my self with my passion of weights. I’ve always had a dream of opening a gym. I’m stuck between the two and wonder if I could get any incites on either such as what you really need to succeed in both, day in the life, type of stuff. Money is not big deal to me. I know both Arnt going to make me rich. I figured I need to love what I do and ill be happy.
Ps. Ik personal training ill be stuck with mostly people wanting to lose weight and training kids.[/quote]

I am myself studying to become a history teacher, but have no experience with teaching since I am not done yet. All I can say is that if you choose history you will atleast enjoy your classes in College/University if you really like the subject of history. At the end of day you must make a choice and you must find out wich one of the two “crafts” you like the most.

Ps. Just a heads up in case you dont know: The subject of history in academia is not just Wars, revolutions, barberian migrations, interresting biographys( little of this ) and similar. Be prepared to have lecures and chapters( entire classes/books is also possible ) on the agro-culture in the middle-ages and other epocs, trade and pre-industrial production, the differences between the sexes in various time epocs etc and other less intruiging subjects. Alos be prepared to find a subject that at first sounds boring as fuark really really interresting.

Regardless of what you choose I wish you good luck on your decision :slight_smile:

( Sorry I could not give more help )

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]kamui wrote:
Where i teach, being an history teacher IS a fitness related job. [/quote]

I dont get the joke, Like to explain?[/quote]

I teach in a vocational highschool in Paris’s suburbs.
The places you see on TV when my students are rioting.

the job has a quite physical side sometimes.

[/quote]

Ah I understand.

I take it then that you too also find your job physical sometimes? ( you teach philosophy right? )

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]kamui wrote:
Where i teach, being an history teacher IS a fitness related job. [/quote]

I dont get the joke, Like to explain?[/quote]

I teach in a vocational highschool in Paris’s suburbs.
The places you see on TV when my students are rioting.

the job has a quite physical side sometimes.

[/quote]

Ah I understand.

I take it then that you too also find your job physical sometimes? ( you teach philosophy right? )

[/quote]

Nope.
At least not officially.

I studied philosophy and anthropology in university, among other things.
But i teach french literature and History.

actually, in France, there is no philosophy classes in vocational highschools.
They are meant to become workers. Usually blue collar ones. They don’t need it.

[quote]NAUn wrote:
Why not do high school history and be the S&C coach for the football team or some other sport?[/quote]

this.

this would be a perfect life for me -

do it~

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Your first “insight” into being a teacher, is learn to fucking spell.[/quote]

Why do you think I want to be a history teacher?
Seriously though sorry for that I’m tapping away on my phone
As for the boringness of some subject I know
I love that stuff I have books on books of the salt trade and the agricultural revolution and such. I enjoy those parts.
And thanks on the help It really helped
I could be a coach/strength coach at the school I would love that. How would you go along doing that though? Just apply for both positions?
My main focus for being a history teacher is no doubt my love of history and teaching. I just need to figure out if I want a career out of it.

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]kamui wrote:
Where i teach, being an history teacher IS a fitness related job. [/quote]

I dont get the joke, Like to explain?[/quote]

I teach in a vocational highschool in Paris’s suburbs.
The places you see on TV when my students are rioting.

the job has a quite physical side sometimes.

[/quote]

Ah I understand.

I take it then that you too also find your job physical sometimes? ( you teach philosophy right? )

[/quote]

Nope.
At least not officially.

I studied philosophy and anthropology in university, among other things.
But i teach french literature and History.

actually, in France, there is no philosophy classes in vocational highschools.
They are meant to become workers. Usually blue collar ones. They don’t need it.
[/quote]

okay.

Actually philosophy is not a big subject in Norwegian high schools, I think one can take like 2 hours a week if you like.

but do you dont think it is good to give all members of society some insight into philosophy? And isnt a intellectual blue collar worker a positive thing for himself and for the entire society?

btw. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a vocational highschool?

You could always take a kinesiology degree with a minor in history, and then take the two years to get your teaching certificate. It’s common to see that in Canada, at least where I’m from. That way you can teach history, hold a fitness related job on the side, and choose one or the other if you wish.

depends what fitness related job you want.

If you just want to be a personal trainer…then getting a 4 year degree for it would be kind of a waste of time.

You could get a cert in a few months and be ready to start, while with a 4 year degree you would still need a cert before you could start training.

The biggest factor in getting involved with fitness is having a people person personality. You need to be able to get along with people and make them feel good. Networking and building connections is extremely important in this field. It helps if you’re attractive too.

If you’re bad with people or very introvertish forget about it.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Your first “insight” into being a teacher, is learn to fucking spell.[/quote]

He’s from Texas. That kind of stuff isn’t important to teachers down there.[/quote]

Haha H.S. perhaps, but who would when 1/3 of the population consists of native Spanish speakers? Our Universities are damn good, among the best in the nation outside the Ivy’s.

Texas Man, IMHO, an undergraduate degree in Exercise Sport Science or Kinesiology will most likely not be a sound investment in your professional or personal development. Work in a gym for a year and you will not want to be a trainer. I get the sense that training is a deeply rooted passion of yours, which is admirable. If you really want to do something in that field in a broad sense, look into Pre-Physical Therapy programs. Do you plan to stay in Texas for college?

There’s a lot more to teaching than the criteria. That is only 1/5th of the job, and probably the easiest. If you don’t LOVE it, don’t do it. You’ll hate your life.

[quote]texas man wrote:
I’m going to college in a year and I’m stuck on what to do. I’ve had always wanted to be a history teacher because I love teaching and I love history. All my biggest role models in my childhood till here have always been history teachers. Lately however I’ve been thinking about a job in the fitness business, like a personal trainer.

I love the thought of doing it and surround my self with my passion of weights. I’ve always had a dream of opening a gym. I’m stuck between the two and wonder if I could get any incites on either such as what you really need to succeed in both, day in the life, type of stuff. Money is not big deal to me. I know both Arnt going to make me rich. I figured I need to love what I do and ill be happy.
Ps. Ik personal training ill be stuck with mostly people wanting to lose weight and training kids.[/quote]

You do not need to decide yet. Kinesiology and History is a more than doable double major.

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:

[quote]texas man wrote:
I’m going to college in a year and I’m stuck on what to do. I’ve had always wanted to be a history teacher because I love teaching and I love history. All my biggest role models in my childhood till here have always been history teachers. Lately however I’ve been thinking about a job in the fitness business, like a personal trainer.

I love the thought of doing it and surround my self with my passion of weights. I’ve always had a dream of opening a gym. I’m stuck between the two and wonder if I could get any incites on either such as what you really need to succeed in both, day in the life, type of stuff. Money is not big deal to me. I know both Arnt going to make me rich. I figured I need to love what I do and ill be happy.
Ps. Ik personal training ill be stuck with mostly people wanting to lose weight and training kids.[/quote]

You do not need to decide yet. Kinesiology and History is a more than doable double major. [/quote]

What purpose would that serve though? There are few fields that justify a dual or double major. Kinesiology and History are definitely not among those worthwhile combinations. He would be far better served spending that time and effort going to graduate school.