History of Hips/Back Problems. Are Squats & Deadlifts Worth It?

So some brief history. I’ve previously fractured my hip and ruptured a disk in my lower back playing rugby. So after 5 years of rehab i started Wendler 531 and enjoyed power lifting, however in December i tweaked my back squatting and now have chronic pain. The doctors/ physios said that my sciatic nerve is being irritated by my complete lack of mobility in my lower back.

So i’ve been managing my training, only doing lunges (the only thing that doesn’t hurt) for lower body and tons of core work and mobility.

So my NHS physio has said i should start squatting and deadlifting again but only lightly. My private physio has said not to due to my medical history (its not the first time i’ve tweaked my back in the last 5 years).

So my question is, are light weight squats worth doing, compared to just doing lunges for hypertrophy (as my strength training days are done) and

the are deadlifts worth trying considering my previous hip and back injuries.

I don’t want to be stupid but if i’m only doing (saying 60kg squats/ deadlifts) are they really worth it compared to heavy lunges etc???

Just need some assistance i really don’t want to hurt my back again!!!

Dan John advised once that most of us should never go less than ten reps in the squat. Twenty reps squats is a well known program. I’d advise a combination of high reps squats and search up “Unnamed Single leg Gem of an Exercise” article by Ben Bruno.

1 Like

Little bit late to this party, but I’m of the opinion that no, they’re not.

I’m like you - struggled with constant low back strains and injuries for years trying to force my body to squat and deadlift.

Try this:
-Jump on the leg extension and work up in sets of 15 until you hit a top set, then do a drop set back down the stack to where you started.
-Now the lying leg curl. Work up to a heavy 8 then half the weight and rep out.
-Now load a barbell across your shoulders like you were squatting, but instead walking lunge that shit. Take 50 steps. Rest and repeat as many times as you’re able.
-Now a nice light hip extension exercise like good mornings or something. Whatever you can do pain free. High reps, low rest. Go for burn rather than heavy.

Do that and tell me how much you feel you need squats and deadlifts.

1 Like

I have a bulged disc and I’m battling hip pain at the moment. I had surgery to repair a torn labrum in the same hip last December.

The only reason you should be squatting, deadlifting, or doing any exercise is because you want to do it. You don’t have to do any one lift.

I love deadlifts so I’m keeping them. I want to hit my squat goal of 4 plates so I’d like to keep them, but if Doc says to avoid them then I will. I’m currently doing rear foot elevated split squats (aka Bulgarian split squats) and getting great leg workouts.

I think you can do squats and deads, but it’s up to you.

A bit of an up-date on my trial and error, might help some people.

So things that work:

Hack Squat (Hammer strength) - Means i get enough back support to squat properly, i’m doing light weight and sets of 20 reps
Lunges - With DB only, light or heavy they don’t hurt
Seated Ham Curl - Doesn’t hurt as i’m not stretching my nerve
Glute raises - Again doesn’t hurt

Things that don’t work:

Squats - still hurt (due to my inability to get into the correct position)
Leg Presses - I can’t seem to get into the correct position without it hurting
Leg Curl - Again it hurts to stretch into this position
Pull Throughs - Hurt like hell, no idea why
Laying Ham Curl - Hurts due to stretching the nerve
Deadlifts - Can do them pain free but i don’t feel comfortable doing them (not worth the risk)

So currently doing this twice a week:
Hack squats 3 x 20
Lunges 3 x 20
Seated Ham curl 3 x 12 or SL glute raises 3x12
SL calve raises (no weight) 3 x failure

That’s it at the moment. Let me know if you’ve any ideas on how to improve my pain free workout plan.

Little late here but I thought of a few things:

Having strong (not just big/pumped up) glutes and hams usually benefits a bad back.

So, in that case, I’d recommend doing some glute/hip activation every day. My buddy (who had pretty bad back issues) did this and it helped:

A. Bodyweight (BW) Glute Bridges: 10 reps w/ 5 sec. squeeze at the top
B. BW Bird Dogs: 10 reps w/ 5 sec. hold at the top (do all 10 reps on one leg, then do the other side)
C1. Lying Leg Abduction: 20 reps
C2. Clams: 20 reps (do 20 reps of C1, followed by 20 reps of C2, all on one leg before switching and doing the other leg)

Rest 1 min. and then do the circuit one more time. Shouldn’t take too long.

Just seems like normally people’s glutes and abductors are weak, under-used and under-worked, and not activating properly. If you can do these, or similar movements, do this every day. Maybe right when you wake up. Don’t worry about adding weight or making it really hard, just try to really feel these muscles and get them working.

If possible, do more hip extension movements. Lying Ham Curls are a great movement for pumping up the muscle, but train knee flexion, one of the 2 movements the hamstring does.

RDL’s, Good-Mornings, and Hip Thrusts are the main strength builders I can think of…SL deadlifts are good but they’re quite similar to a normal deadlift and need to be done properly if you don’t want the lower back to take over.

RDL’s can be done very slowly, with very light dumbbells, and will work the muscle while allowing you to focus on the hamstrings/glutes taking over. Good-Mornings can be done with a band around your neck, and serve the same purpose - slow moving, paying attention to the right muscles.

Hip Thrusts, Glute Bridges, and all single-leg, elevated, or whatever variations you can think of for that general movement all train the glutes and hamstrings very well. Make sure if you do them you keep your chin tucked hard into your chest, staring at the wall in front of you, especially on the way up/at the top. This prevents overextension on your lower back at the top.

I’d really recommend GHR’s if you can handle them…they’re quite hard if you’re a beginner at them, but train the hamstring from both ends of the muscle (hip and knee), and are a fantastic strength builder. Probably in the top movements for the hamstrings.

Back Extensions are good too, but if you have weak hams/glutes, you will feel them primarily in your lower back, and the constant flexion of the back may bother you. I used to feel them all in my lower back, then my hams/glutes got stronger and took over, and now they’re one of my favorite movements for those muscles.

Hack Squats and Lunges are good for the quads and a little bit of the glutes. If your knees feel fine, go ahead with them. If you get your hamstrings strong as f**k then your knees should be ready for just about anything.

I have no calves, so I won’t comment on that too much, but I’d say do standing calf raises, seated calf raises, and donkey raises, 4-6 days a week. Hit them hard and often, with as many variations as you can. This has resulted in the little growth I’ve seen with mine. (So has gaining weight lol.)

Finally, sled work has been good for me, and others I know with back pain. You can hit just about every muscle in your lower body (and upper body), cause little soreness due to the nature of it, raise your work capacity and get in better shape. (Backwards sled drags are supposed to be good for your VMO, which is hard to hit with most movements. Haven’t done it enough to report on that, but I do feel it there when I do them.)

I’m not an expert by any means, but basically, I’d recommend activating your glutes every single day, doing whatever possible movements to actually strengthen your glutes and hamstrings (this will do an amazing job at protecting your back and knees when done well), hitting your calves more often if that’s important to you, and maybe getting out the sled to work your legs and your conditioning at the same time. Here’s an article for that: Louie Simmons - GPP

Hope it goes well!

1 Like