History of Dem Majorities

Hmmm…let’s look at when Dems had 60 or more Senate seats + the POTUS:

1937-1939 —> Depression continues, WWII follows

1965-1967 —> Vietnam

1977-1979 —> double digit inflation and unemployment

Wow, what a good record! Let’s keep voting these guys in! How wonderful they all are!

One almost begins to think that the American people DESERVE just exactly what’s going to happen to them.

Because the great depression and stagflation began the very second that 60 dems were voted into the senate. There is no possible way that these events were caused by anything that happened prior to the dates listed. I suppose it’s not even worth mentioning that from 1921-1933 we had republican presidents and a laissez-faire economic system that encouraged irresponsible investmenting, and two republican presidents from 1969-1977. Couldn’t possibly have anything to do with it at all.

I’ll agree with you about Vietnam, but I think that had more to do with everyone being scared stupid than being liberal.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:
Because the great depression and stagflation began the very second that 60 dems were voted into the senate. There is no possible way that these events were caused by anything that happened prior to the dates listed. I suppose it’s not even worth mentioning that from 1921-1933 we had republican presidents and a laissez-faire economic system that encouraged irresponsible investmenting, and two republican presidents from 1969-1977. Couldn’t possibly have anything to do with it at all.

I’ll agree with you about Vietnam, but I think that had more to do with everyone being scared stupid than being liberal.[/quote]

The point is that they didn’t fix anything.

Are we looking at the same chart?

It’s a lot like UK’s basketball team: Tubby Smith drove the program into the ground and screwed up recruiting. Rich Brooks took flak for last year’s season, even though he did the best he could with what he had. Economic policies are extremely long term, you cannot fix a decode of negligence in four years, especially if you’re stuck with a war or two.

Obama is going to win because the Redskins lost at home last night. Sorry, Headhunter.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
<<< One almost begins to think that the American people DESERVE just exactly what’s going to happen to them. [/quote]

Almost?

Electing Obama is like beating yourself in the head with a hammer to cure a headache.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:
Are we looking at the same chart?

It’s a lot like UK’s basketball team: Tubby Smith drove the program into the ground and screwed up recruiting. Rich Brooks took flak for last year’s season, even though he did the best he could with what he had. Economic policies are extremely long term, you cannot fix a decode of negligence in four years, especially if you’re stuck with a war or two.[/quote]

Hey, hey - Tubby won a national championship. I really hated when he left UGA…

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
<<< One almost begins to think that the American people DESERVE just exactly what’s going to happen to them.

Almost?

Electing Obama is like beating yourself in the head with a hammer to cure a headache.[/quote]

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
<<< One almost begins to think that the American people DESERVE just exactly what’s going to happen to them.

Almost?

Electing Obama is like beating yourself in the head with a hammer to cure a headache.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.[/quote]

If history runs in cycles, then the current events fit in. It takes 30 or 40 years for people to forget, or they die off and the younger folks make similar mistakes as their parents.

Economic depressions happen about every 30 or every 60 years, give or take a few years. (Sometimes the 30 year one can be avoided.)

Hitting yourself with a hammer doesn’t help those who come after you – they have to hit themselves. Witness this tomorrow morning.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Hmmm…let’s look at when Dems had 60 or more Senate seats + the POTUS:

1937-1939 —> Depression continues, WWII follows

1965-1967 —> Vietnam

1977-1979 —> double digit inflation and unemployment

Wow, what a good record! Let’s keep voting these guys in! How wonderful they all are!

One almost begins to think that the American people DESERVE just exactly what’s going to happen to them. [/quote]

There is a saying, “Be careful what you wish for”. But we will have to see how things go. Obama might be careful with his first term just so he can try for a second. Besides now all the Europeans have a reason to shut up. Especially if things go to hell in a handbasket…

The scariest thing about the whole Obama win is the lack of fear rogue nations will have for us now. Say what you would like about Bush, but Iran, Syria, North Korea and several others feared reprecussions with GW in office. Now they know they have nothing to fear, much like the Clinton era expect more attacks on US interests.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
There is a saying, “Be careful what you wish for”. But we will have to see how things go. Obama might be careful with his first term just so he can try for a second. Besides now all the Europeans have a reason to shut up. Especially if things go to hell in a handbasket…
[/quote]

You know, I recall saying “if you aren’t lucky you’ll get what you ask for” concerning the re-election of Bush.

Hopefully you guys will be wrong, while I was right… :wink: