T Nation

Historic Super Bowl

Some of you don’t agree.

That’s cool.

But it’s as historic as any statistic you can come up with.

Good luck to Tony and Lovie.

Mufasa

Lovie Smith

Mufasa

Until the media spent all week telling us that “maybe someday we won’t notice the color of their skin”, I honestly hadn’t noticed that there were two black coaches among the final four.

That was a great game! Tony is a true American hero. Talk about rising above personal disaster and staying focused.

tG:

It’s interesting…

Tony and Lovie don’t focus on color either. They are good friends and were more focused on kicking each others butt in the Super Bowl.

That’s the “Public Relations” line.

Privately they realize that what they are about to do IS historic; and that they are TRUE role models and just great guys.

Like it or not; you will be hearing about the historic nature of the two meeting in the Super Bowl for the next three weeks…

I’m sure they will be on the phone to each other in less than a hour.

Mufasa

To tell the truth, I’m in the mode now of pulling for Payton.

I want him to finally get that “…BUT…” monkey off his back that he’s carried since his days at Tennessee.

He also is a great guy, and has worked VERY hard to get to the Super Bowl for what, 9 years?

One Point About the Game:

I have so much respect for Bellichek and Brady, that I didn’t think that the Colts had won it until that last interception! I don’t think Payton did either! Did you guys see how he kept his head down almost to the last second?

Great game!

Mufasa

Today was also record breaking. No team in history has ever come back from that big of a deficit to win the championship, either NFC or AFC.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Until the media spent all week telling us that “maybe someday we won’t notice the color of their skin”, I honestly hadn’t noticed that there were two black coaches among the final four.[/quote]

IMO, if the media didn’t shove this story down our throats, most people wouldn’t have noticed. I don’t see what the big deal is. They are both good coaches and good role models. That should be the story.

The Colts WERE GETTING SPANKED in the first half…to the point I was saying “game over”.

I just didn’t think they could come back on Brady and the Pats.

My Bad!

Mufasa

I’m just waiting for the first black QB to win a super bowl. Since you know they are the ones that have to execute almost half of the plays.

You know what?

I was going to argue “why it was a big deal”…but I said “What’s the Use?”

Maybe that IS “part of the big deal”…that there are people who think that Tony and Lovie facing each other in the Super Bowl is nothing big.

Again…congratulations to two great guys!

Mufasa

[quote]Chris Adams wrote:
I’m just waiting for the first black QB to win a super bowl. Since you know they are the ones that have to execute almost half of the plays.[/quote]

Too late…

You must have forgot about Doug Williams already.

I’m just waiting for the first black QB to win a super bowl. Since you know they are the ones that have to execute almost half of the plays.[/quote]

Uh, that happened about 20 years ago. Doug Williams won a Super Bowl with the Washington Redskins.

Chris, my Little Grasshopper!

Doug Williams; Super Bowl 26…

Mufasa

This is a win-win Super Bowl for me.

I’m rooting for the Bears, but even if the Colts win, I’ll be happy.

There’s not a nicer guy out there than Tony Dungy, and winning a Super Bowl would be a nice consolation after what he’s been through recently.

Are you serious? It already happened.

Doug Williams is, so far, the first and only black QB to play in or win a Super Bowl.

Super Bowl XXII - Washington 42, Denver 10.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Until the media spent all week telling us that “maybe someday we won’t notice the color of their skin”, I honestly hadn’t noticed that there were two black coaches among the final four.[/quote]

Same here.

However, Tony Dungy made an interesting comment about how most of the players don’t see it as a big deal and don’t see color when looking at their coach, but that’s because they weren’t alive during/aware of the time when it WAS a huge deal if there was a black coach.

It’s never been a huge issue in my lifetime, thus I don’t notice if a head coach is a minority or not. However, have me born 20 years earlier, and I bet it would stand out.

Great points, Bauer!

Thanks! I admit not being real objective when someone says “What’s the Big Deal”.

It’s a big deal for a LOT of people…

Mufasa

Tony and Lovie are pretty private guys…

But unofficial reports are that they talked for HOURS last night!

(Most people don’t know that these guys have been friends for YEARS!)

Mufasa