Hiring Iron Addict As a Trainer

I’m sure some of you know him and others don’t.

I’ve been thinking about hiring him as a trainer but am having a hard time deciding (wanted to get a somewhat unbiased opinion here). Right now I’ve had some extra help from someone on this site and i really appreciate him helping out. He even said it may be good for me to do it though. I tried PMing someone here about it who’s worked with him but he didn’t answer.

My main thing holding me back is the price, its $250 for the first 3 months and $40 per month after that so $610 for a year. As far as personal training goes thats pretty good but on the other hand i dont have a ton of money or anything and thats a lot of hours at work when thinking of it like that and how its all that money for a little better results you know?

On the other side i think of how i’m practically no farther along than i was 1 year ago because of fluctuations in bulking/cutting, etc… and in that time have wasted countless hours working out, making meals, not going places sometimes, and then theres the $350 or so on protein powder in the last year.

I think i would do much better now because i realize i need to focus more on the basics and building a good strength base and im getting some help but still maybe having him help would get me to my goals much faster and help me know i’m not just wasting more time

any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
David

Are we talking about face to face training or over the web?

Here’s my initial take.

I think the guy you’ve been working with from here, at your level will probably do you as much good as is possible on a non face to face basis. He has 1000 times more intuitive know how than you do. In other words I don’t know what somebody else is going to accomplish with you over the web that he can’t. That’s not a commentary on Iron Addict. He may have 2000 times more intuitive knowledge than you do, but from where you’re at 1000 is enough.

If it would be in person then that could be a different story. There’s no substitute for somebody being able to actually observe what you’re doing. Or not doing for that matter.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Are we talking about face to face training or over the web?

Here’s my initial take.

I think the guy you’ve been working with from here, at your level will probably do you as much good as is possible on a non face to face basis. He has 1000 times more intuitive know how than you do. In other words I don’t know what somebody else is going to accomplish with you over the web that he can’t. That’s not a commentary on Iron Addict. He may have 2000 times more intuitive knowledge than you do, but from where you’re at 1000 is enough.

If it would be in person then that could be a different story. There’s no substitute for somebody being able to actually observe what you’re doing. Or not doing for that matter.[/quote]

ok well it would be just over the web. Thanks for your input that makes a lot of sense

any other posts are still appreciated

He’s the way to go if you’re serious about this, dude. But since he can;t monitor your intensity directly, I don;t really think this will be helpful to you RIGHT now till you learn to push yourself. Try his free powerbuilding programs instead and try to gain sonme basic strength and after a couple of years hire the guy.
I saw your posts there where they were smacking their foreheads just as much as everyone here was trying to put you together.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
He’s the way to go if you’re serious about this, dude. But since he can;t monitor your intensity directly, I don;t really think this will be helpful to you RIGHT now till you learn to push yourself. Try his free powerbuilding programs instead and try to gain sonme basic strength and after a couple of years hire the guy.
I saw your posts there where they were smacking their foreheads just as much as everyone here was trying to put you together.[/quote]

I never got what people meant when they say something like “you dont know how to push yourself”. I mean i’ve taken a ton of my sets to failure and past it pushing myself very hard…but maybe you mean something that comes with more experience.

lol i don’t recall that thread there about me but i’m not surprised.

I am actually following one of his routines, suggested by the guy helping me out here. the “a Simple power based routine” one…i’m liking it a lot so far and i feel much more on the right track building a solid strength base first. (i guess i got too much into all the volume training, supersets, etc…talked about so much in bodybuilding…and even on this site over just getting stronger)

Was referring to this one:

www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16756

By pushing yourself, i am referring to intensity. Not multiple sets past a momentary failure when you haven; even tapped into your xisting set of muscle fibers. You’re able to 'go past failure" and liuve to tell about it mainly because you have not really experienced failure yet. You’re not even using your muscles in an all-out effort in the first place.

If you read Trev Smith’s BFT, you’ll see how ‘going past failure’ means a hell of a lot more for a guy with sme years of training than for you. So yes, what i am referring to comes with experience. A regular 5x5 will help you out as long as you throw your callipers away, eat properly focusing on just gaining strength and come back to BODYBUILDING once you have some base and have learnt how to use your muscles as well as what movements work for your body and in what range of motion.

Nohign wrong wth IA’s routines either as long as you are able to consistently add weight for an extended period of time. If you monitor body composition on his program, you are going to fail.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
I never got what people meant when they say something like “you dont know how to push yourself”. I mean i’ve taken a ton of my sets to failure and past it pushing myself very hard…but maybe you mean something that comes with more experience.

I am actually following one of his routines, suggested by the guy helping me out here. the “a Simple power based routine” one…i’m liking it a lot so far and i feel much more on the right track building a solid strength base first. (i guess i got too much into all the volume training, supersets, etc…talked about so much in bodybuilding…and even on this site over just getting stronger)
[/quote]

[/quote]

That was a pretty refreshing thread, and it screams david1991.

David - no more hand holding. At this point you have been given way more than enough advice to succeed. You shouldn’t even have questions. Things do not need to be as exact as you think. The next thread you start, I plan to take a virtual shit all over it.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
tribunaldude wrote:
I saw your posts there where they were smacking their foreheads just as much as everyone here was trying to put you together.

[/quote]

Don’t jump from person to person, if what you’re doing now works, continue to do it.

David, you’ve crossed the line. If I knew you in ‘real’ life, I’d have kicked the shit out of you by now. Sometimes, that’s what a guy really needs: a good, pulpy pummeling to get their head on straight. I only read the first page of the IA thread, but I can see where it’s going; where every thread you’ve started here goes. The Big Nowhere.

Serious question: How fucking stupid are you?

And stop psoting in the Bodybuilding Forum, you are the rankest amateur and should treat your posts as such. Also, weren’t you supposed to not post for a few months or some such? Shouldn’t you be lifting heavy things?

Barbaric! I hope you plan on using e-toilet paper to clean up the mess.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
The next thread you start, I plan to take a virtual shit all over it.[/quote]

Before everyone jumps all over him again…

David if money is remotely an issue don’t worry about hiring Wesley and stick with your current plan. It IS WORKING so don’t do anything to change it until it stops(and you run it by me lol) Keep doing those 2.5-5 lb jumps on the bar week after week and don’t miss meals and you will be damn proud of yourself a year from now.

All you are going to get on these boards is more conflicting advice and opinions and build up frustration because people are telling you that you are doing things wrong. Stay the course and come back a year from now and laugh in everyones face because you made the best progress of anyone on this thread.

(Progression + consistency) x time= bigger badder leaner David

[quote]Scott M wrote:

David if money is remotely an issue don’t worry about hiring Wesley and stick with your current plan. It IS WORKING so don’t do anything to change it until it stops(and you run it by me lol) Keep doing those 2.5-5 lb jumps on the bar week after week and don’t miss meals and you will be damn proud of yourself a year from now.

All you are going to get on these boards is more conflicting advice and opinions and build up frustration because people are telling you that you are doing things wrong. Stay the course and come back a year from now and laugh in everyones face because you made the best progress of anyone on this thread.

[/quote]

But will he listen?

So far yes

If anything, hiring Wes will give David here a reason to listen to ONE person instead of the thousands of different things he is getting from being on these boards. The kid needs some focus.

By pushing yourself, i am referring to intensity. Not multiple sets past a momentary failure when you haven; even tapped into your xisting set of muscle fibers. You’re able to 'go past failure" and liuve to tell about it mainly because you have not really experienced failure yet. You’re not even using your muscles in an all-out effort in the first place.

If you read Trev Smith’s BFT, you’ll see how ‘going past failure’ means a hell of a lot more for a guy with sme years of training than for you. So yes, what i am referring to comes with experience. A regular 5x5 will help you out as long as you throw your callipers away, eat properly focusing on just gaining strength and come back to BODYBUILDING once you have some base and have learnt how to use your muscles as well as what movements work for your body and in what range of motion.

Nohign wrong wth IA’s routines either as long as you are able to consistently add weight for an extended period of time. If you monitor body composition on his program, you are going to fail.

[/quote]

ok thats what i thought you might have meant. about the program i’m following it just how he said and im not using the calipers so thats all good. Thanks for the advice though

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
tribunaldude wrote:

That was a pretty refreshing thread, and it screams david1991.

David - no more hand holding. At this point you have been given way more than enough advice to succeed. You shouldn’t even have questions. Things do not need to be as exact as you think. The next thread you start, I plan to take a virtual shit all over it.[/quote]

i havent really been on here much actually and that thread is over 2 weeks old. i am making things simpler now thanks to the “virtual ass kicking” here and the help from guys on that site lol

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
David, you’ve crossed the line. If I knew you in ‘real’ life, I’d have kicked the shit out of you by now. Sometimes, that’s what a guy really needs: a good, pulpy pummeling to get their head on straight. I only read the first page of the IA thread, but I can see where it’s going; where every thread you’ve started here goes. The Big Nowhere.

Serious question: How fucking stupid are you?

And stop psoting in the Bodybuilding Forum, you are the rankest amateur and should treat your posts as such. Also, weren’t you supposed to not post for a few months or some such? Shouldn’t you be lifting heavy things?[/quote]

honestly…what the hell? if you noticed i actually havent been posting on here much. the only posts i made were 1. about sleep which is totally unrelated and just wanted advice because i couldnt sleep that long and 2. this thread asking if you guys thought hiring IA would be beneficial for me. asking me how fucking stupid i am doesnt help anyone

you guys said to make my diet simpler: i did
you said to stop asking so many questions: i did
you said to stick with a good solid routine: i am
you said to focus on getting bigger and stronger: i am

[quote]Scott M wrote:

[/quote]

thanks a lot Scott, i appreciate it. and i will make sure to continue on with what i am doing, i’ll make good progress with this routine and when i stall i can deload for a week like IA suggested. i’ll make sure to run any thoughts about possible changes by you first.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
If anything, hiring Wes will give David here a reason to listen to ONE person instead of the thousands of different things he is getting from being on these boards. The kid needs some focus.[/quote]

that has a lot to do with why i asked in the first place. not only would i get great advice but mentally i’d know i was doing the right thing and could get help from this one person. as first mentioned by tiribulus though I feel Scott is doing that for me.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
all kinds of fun stuff[/quote]

I’m glad to hear it. Keep listening to Scott and you can’t go wrong. I would also suggest sending him some (naked) before and after pics in case he needs to revamp something.

Please don’t lol

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
David1991 wrote:
all kinds of fun stuff

I’m glad to hear it. Keep listening to Scott and you can’t go wrong. I would also suggest sending him some (naked) before and after pics in case he needs to revamp something. [/quote]

haha well its not like i have ‘certain parts’ that need work anyway since basically everything does

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
David1991 wrote:
all kinds of fun stuff

I’m glad to hear it. Keep listening to Scott and you can’t go wrong. I would also suggest sending him some (naked) before and after pics in case he needs to revamp something. [/quote]

This is the point and exactly why I haven’t said one word to him since he started the dialogue with Scott. Scott is more than capable of helping this guy get a foundation laid. At some point in the foreseeable future hopefully he can begin to build from there himself.

I’m not touchin the naked pictures thing.

That’s the best you can do? Get a little pissed off and I bet you make some real gains. Call me a cunt and then do pull-ups. Seriously, I just bitched you out.