Hips Shooting Up in Deadlifts

If your hips shoot up while deadlifting specifically heavy weights,does that mean thats just where your hips should be from the start because its ur strongest position? Or does it reflect some kind of weakness or imbalance in the chain?

Some people can shoot their hips up too high, James Strickland for example would do this and end up stiff legging his deadlift.

It could be your hips going to the right position, it could be weakness, it could be poor form/bracing. If your hips shoot up and yoir lower back rounds at the same time I’d definitely say weakness.

2 Likes

This is a good diagnostic tool. Never thought about this.

A bit of both, it can be a result of strong hamstrings and lower back but weak glutes (hinging backwards rather than forcing your hips forward). Also, you want your hips as high as possible and as close to the bar as possible (in the horizontal plane) for best leverages - this does not mean a SLDL for 99% of people because that involves pushing your hips back away from the bar.

If your hips shoot up once the bar has left the floor then that’s a technical issue, maybe due to starting in a bad position and probably lack of tension has something to do with it. If you are rounding your back at the same time then you have a weak back.

A while back people were giving me shit because my sumo DL had my hips real high and was more like a wide stance conventional, I posted a video on the Kabuki Strength forum and two of their coaches said that my deadlift was actually fine and due to my leverages that was just my strongest start position. Before that I wasted a few months trying to change my technique and get my hips lower, that only worked with lighter weights but when I got to around 500 I couldn’t break the floor without raising my hips.

By the way, you might want to try this exercise because I know you have issues with keeping a neutral spine. I think I’m going to do it in my next training block.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp72ehPlLnv/

I would just do it off rack pins or blocks unless plates are more convenient.

3 Likes

Ive had that happening multiple times,where elite pro strength coaches told me something in my form was fine or normal whereas people on the internet would go crazy over it.

Ill check it out,thanks for the help.

Are you talking about pulling with a round back or what?

Hip rise and rounded back yes. The coaches im talking about are Mike T and Ben Pollack. But honestly you get way too much shit thrown at you when u do rounded back deads in comment sections so either way im doing straight back now and quit rounded back.

I wouldn’t worry about comment sections, there are too many idiots out there and few people deserve to be taken seriously. When it comes to back issues, follow Stuart McGill and Chris Duffin.

1 Like

Mike T is good at coaching elite lifters who can tolerate the volume he prescribes, but he also has a lot of injured lifters and he himself had back/hip issues that keep him from lifting. I personally take his advice with a grain of salt, but he does have some very good ideas.

Who has Ben Pollack coached?

The fact that Mike has had injuries kinda makes me trust him more since he definetely learnt from them and has more experience because of it. I might be a bit biased since i really like him and follow him,but thats just my opinion.
Idk who Ben Pollack has coached honestly,but as far as i know he is a part of Kabuki Strength and his competetive history is very impressive.

Sign up for Kabuki Movement Systems, all you need is a valid credit card and put in the coupon code “onemonthfree”. You can cancel at the end of the free month and they won’t bill you, plus you can save links to their videos. Go on the forum there and post a form check video. I don’t follow everything that those guys say or do and their squat bar and DL bar are shit, but they are the one set of coaches that really know biomechanics and what “good form” is and can look like. And that includes back health.

Don’t confuse a lifter’s personal achievements with their coaching ability. What is Boris Sheiko’s PR total? Some lifters are good coaches, some just use their name to sell a program. Mike T isn’t a bad coach, but he himself says that his strength is in writing programs more than coaching technique and such.

1 Like

Will do,thanks!

Don’t you remember your internet BFF urging you to get stronger glutes and to get your hips closer to the bar?

Also suggesting deadlift isometrics and slow tempo deadlift work around the knees from the rib, errr from the rack?

Lol ive been doing that,just not as much as i should. Thanks for reminding me tho to do it more

I remember you saying some stuff along those lines, but not exactly what I’m talking about here. And how I got to the point where I am now was a result of something else altogether. What really seemed to have got my DL moving again was all that high rep work I did back in the spring/summer, and deficit DLs too.