T Nation

Hip Strength for Sprinting

Any ideas on a good way to develop hip strength for sprinters? exercises, drills etc?

Thanking you in advance

Lots of posterior chain and knee extension work, Olympic lifts, single-leg exercises. Technique is huge; get a good coach and he’ll drop a few tenths off of your shortest distance times without much difficulty.

Also, make sure that your hip mobility is top notch.

In terms of specific drills, there are all sorts of technique specific movements that can easily be incorporated into warm-ups. Beyond that, sprinting rules purely from a specificity standpoint; what makes the biggest difference is how you vary intensity, frequency, and volume in your overall periodization scheme.

[quote]Ali Baba wrote:
Any ideas on a good way to develop hip strength for sprinters? exercises, drills etc?

Thanking you in advance[/quote]

Reverse hyper, goodmorning, romanian deadlifts, back squar, wide stance back squat

And what Cressey said :slight_smile:

Pull throughs and sumo deadlifts

How about step-ups holding some heavy DBs?

Squats, goodmornings etc should help if you are generally weak, but for specific sprinting strength I think this one shown in the pictures is the best.

In frame 1 you see the setup of a bench just outside the squat rack (bolted of weighted down) with a #5 band across the pins.

In frame 2, I am sitting with the bands across my hips.

In frame 3, my foot is planted against the WALL-not on a bench or box because I want to engage the calves.

In frame 4, forcefully pawback (down) on the wall while thrusting your opposite hip up. Use enough bands to do multiple powerful sets of 5-10 reps.

In frame 5, use of bands for overspeed ballistic stretching of the hams, as well as the opposite hip flexor.

Looks like someone’s been reading Supertraining! Good stuff (your post, not the book)!

BTW-Thanks, we all appreciate for the shots of your package. lol

Cheers

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
Squats, goodmornings etc should help if you are generally weak, but for specific sprinting strength I think this one shown in the pictures is the best.[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Looks like someone’s been reading Supertraining! Good stuff (your post, not the book)!

BTW-Thanks, we all appreciate for the shots of your package. lol

Cheers
[/quote]

I’ve never read it although I have heard about it.

I’m liking steups and single leg squats. Those seems to hit the hip flexors and all pretty well. One area that needs to be touched on is the overall flexibility of the hip structure. I’m hoping I can find information on the best stretches to increase flexibility. At the moment my hipflexor has a tight point near the top that I don’t like and I think that could be preventing my knee lift somewhat.

BTW, that band stuff looks cool, do you really feel it works that well?

Hey Mertdawg:

I know I’m off-point here but, I’m lovin that gym a yours; a no nonsense, no b.s. get yo ass to work type a place, forrealz!

Oh yeah, good exercise suggestions 2.

[quote]rackrecker wrote:
Hey Mertdawg:

I know I’m off-point here but, I’m lovin that gym a yours; a no nonsense, no b.s. get yo ass to work type a place, forrealz!

Oh yeah, good exercise suggestions 2.[/quote]

If you look you’ll see a “total gym” in the last shot though. I do use it for one thing-leg pulls, and I attach bands on to it for this.

By the way, I jammed my squat rack under an I-beam to keep it from moving.

[quote]KingsRevenge wrote:
BTW, that band stuff looks cool, do you really feel it works that well?[/quote]

Yes, its the best exercise I’ve found that transfers immediately to sprinting.

I think squats etc have two main purposes when it comes to sprinting: 1) it trains the core to be solid under force so that the core transmits rather than absorbes force and 2) It builds a base which can then be transferred through full extension motions.