Hip Stability Question

that is awesome! we watched a bit of a vid in class… but that was mostly about the pain of standing on the toes. the vid was in the spirit of ‘sports hurts so suck it up if you want to be good’. i’m not sure whether sucking it up is mostly about the pain of standing on the toes… or whether there are other pains one needs to suck up because of the ROM??

the ROM is pretty cool, heh. i get quad cramping when i try and raise my leg… apparently that is because i’m not bracing my abs properly. story of my life… how are your abs doing since your surgery? still rehabbing them or are they good now?

ooh…

resistance band?

to both assist (to make gravity a little lighter on your raised leg) and also to counter-assist / oppose so you have something to activate against (if that makes sense).

i saw a guy doing weird things like that around the time i was trying to get my glute stabilizers fired up… it seemed to help me a little. just a thought.

[quote]alexus wrote:
that is awesome! we watched a bit of a vid in class… but that was mostly about the pain of standing on the toes. the vid was in the spirit of ‘sports hurts so suck it up if you want to be good’. i’m not sure whether sucking it up is mostly about the pain of standing on the toes… or whether there are other pains one needs to suck up because of the ROM??

the ROM is pretty cool, heh. i get quad cramping when i try and raise my leg… apparently that is because i’m not bracing my abs properly. story of my life… how are your abs doing since your surgery? still rehabbing them or are they good now?[/quote]

Lex, my abs are petty much back to normal now, thanks for asking. I’m not quite as strong. It’s been 9 months since my surgery.

About ROM and feet, it’s amazing how much of ballet is in the toes and small muscles of the feet. My instructor can move her toes independently, almost like fingers. When she sits on the floor with her legs straight in front of her, she can touch her toes to the ground. Getting height in the jumps is all about the toes. I know dancing on point can be problematic, but I have a long way to go before I have to worry about that. :slight_smile:

The dance department does have a class called Condition and Correct where they work on rehab and muscle imbalances. My teacher is really good at spotting where there is an injury or problem. She’s just amazing. You would love it. If I can find the time, I’ll take it next year just to learn.

[quote]alexus wrote:
But yeah that psoas stretch… Gotta be careful…

One thing I’m playing with…

Does the psoas need to be lengthened for your better ROM…
Or…
Does it need to simply relax?
I did a lot of work trying to stretch the psoas trying to roll it to force it to relax…
But really I needed neurologically to allow it to relax…
How do you go with whatever yoga pose it is…
You lie on your stomach then bend back from your knees…
Then reach back with your arms and grab your feet…
then RELAX your psoas and ACTIVATE your glutes and push your legs back and your chest up
(get what I mean)
Can you relax your psoas to pull your leg back up off the floor / behind midline?
If so… Then, uh, do they really need more stretching??[/quote]
I tried this cuz I have tight psoas. Turns out I know how to activate my glutes but unfortunately I don’t know how to relax my psoas…