T Nation

Hip Placement During Deadlifts

According to the article precision pulling, the hips should be high. By high I take this as above the knees?

But in a video on another web site, the guy says to keep the hips low to prevent back injury.

Where should the hips go at the beginning of the movement, relative to the knees?

If you’re overly concerned about hurting your back you’ll never strengthen it, which is the point. Yes, the hips should be above the knees. If they’re not, you might as well be doing hack squats.

JMB

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
According to the article precision pulling, the hips should be high. By high I take this as above the knees?

But in a video on another web site, the guy says to keep the hips low to prevent back injury.

Where should the hips go at the beginning of the movement, relative to the knees?

[/quote]

ANY version of the dead lift is using the erectors in the lower back and placing substancial forces through the lumbar spine. If done correctly with the right load though, this will not damage the body, only strengthen it.

I believe a good dead lift is when your shins stay very vertical, knees acting as hinges for the femers, hips moving back behind the heels. The lowest point is about where the hip joint is level with the knee joint. I teach clients to check themselves out in a side-view mirror. Their body should resemble something that looks like the number “4”. Shins and arms near vertical, femer horizontal, back about 45 degrees and flat. Then drive through the heels, pushing the hips forward toward the bar on the way up.

Top-MI-Sirloin