T Nation

Hip Pain Whilst Squatting

I can squat below parallel but I experience pain in my hips, particularly the outer edge of the hips, at the bottom of the lift. I use static stretches for my hip flexors and calves between sets but the pain remains. If anyone could offer any solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Liam

Do you wide-stance squat? If so, pick up a pair of briefs or a cheap squat suit that you can wear straps down…

I don’t use a wide-stance because I don’t train for powerlifting. I use a high bar, medium stance squat.

[quote]loconnor29 wrote:
I can squat below parallel but I experience pain in my hips, particularly the outer edge of the hips, at the bottom of the lift. I use static stretches for my hip flexors and calves between sets but the pain remains. If anyone could offer any solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Liam[/quote]

try incorporating static stretching not as an inbetween set activity, but more as an individual part of your training. Stretching when you wake up, going to sleep, etc… should help you improve your felxibility, vs stretching mid-set. Secondly, it could be that your core muscles are lacking, and therefore you are placing greater stress on your hips then need be. I know you aren’t lifting for power lifting, but try widening your stance just a tad then you already are, see if that helps. Finally, make sure when you warmup, that you incorporate dynamic stretching, including quick lunges and side shuffles, to help loosen the hip area. If all else fails, go see a doctor. If even he can’t help, well, suck it up or try and find an exercise that can mimic the effectiveness of squatting on the legs.

I believe there were a couple of good articles by one or two of the coaches on T-Nation (I think Ian King and someone else Alessi?) on some dynamic stretching of the hips. I’ve used that to improve my hip flexibility. You should definitely consider some dynamic hip stretches prior to squats. However lately I’m still having some strain in my hips as well, more so one concentric portion of my squats/cleans. I’m thinking I may want to go see a ART Therapist.

What do you mean “outside of the hip”? If by outside you mean the most lateral portion of the hip (outside of your pockets) this could be the bursea overlying the greater trochanter of the femur. If this becomes inflamed (i.e. bursitis) it can be very painful to squat, particularly below parallel. This will also often cause a referal of pain down the I.T. band.
Use your finger to press the point where your greater trochanter sticks out and see if you can find a sore spot. If you can this by be bursitis.
Hope this helps

Alex,
You got a little too technical for me, so I’ll try to elaborate as best I can in layman’s terms. When I say outside of the hip I mean the far right side of my right hip and the far left side of my left hip. I dont experience any discomfort or soreness except whilst squatting.

I’ve heard a lot of talk about ART on the forums, could my problem be treated by ART or conventional physiotherapy? If so, could anyone recommend a good practitioner in Melbourne, Australai?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Liam