T Nation

Hip Pain in Wide Squats

I’ve squatted with a narrow stance up until very recently, but finally decided to ditch them for wide stance squats because I found these allow me to hit depth without completely losing lumbar lordosis and letting the weight slip in front of my axis

The problem? Wide squats are giving me TERRIBLE hip pain. But if possible I’d like to stay with them, because they finally allow me to hit depth without good morning the weight, something which has plagued me my whole squatting ‘career’

As I make this topic, I’m pumping out wide stance bodyweight squats in hopes to loosen up the hips for tomorrow’s session

Take your stance back in. If you’re a raw squatter, butt wink is inevitable.

CS

Just how wide are you squatting?

@ cseagles Yeah I’m raw… It’s not just simple butt wink though, it’s an inability to maintain posture and bar placement
I know wider squats aren’t the norm for raw lifters, but I feel like I can really dial in posture and tightness with these

@spart4tee

about this wide:

(squats start at 2:00)

That’s about the same width as my stance …

Yeah, that’s about how wide I squat too, and I’m a raw squatter.

Yea I squat about Stan Efferding wide too lol. Try squat 2 stands. I do 2 sets of 8 before training and I usually do a set of 8 between work sets. I also do BW lunges to stretch out my hip flexors beforehand.

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
Yea I squat about Stan Efferding wide too lol. Try squat 2 stands. I do 2 sets of 8 before training and I usually do a set of 8 between work sets. I also do BW lunges to stretch out my hip flexors beforehand.[/quote]

I had the same problem; i did this and also some goblet squats

mobilize dem hips.

episodes 56,87,112,144,88,234,207,137,164,97,198 & 182 from mobilitywod.com are all on hip mobility.

enjoy

it might be that you need to build up to the weights a bit more gradually to give the muscles / tendons etc a chance to adapt to the new stance. it will be pulling things in slightly different angles… hopefully you will adapt soon

I’d say just weak hips. My hips are pretty damn thick.

Hey, thanks for the quick and helpful posts guys!

I’ll be looking at the Mobility WODs, BW lunges and squats and taking it a bit easier to adapt.
Glad to know I’m not the only one who’s run into this problem

Also, have you experimented with using a shoe with some heel. Do you have the same problem with light weights? Naturally, a video will tell the story best.