T Nation

Hip Pain During Deadlifts

Question:

Recently while doing DLs I have noticed pain in the joint. I don’t think the pain is emanating from the musculature but from the hip joint itself. I feel it mainly at the bottom of my lift. It is at its worst when I am doing my heaviest work (big surprise).

It doesn’t really hurt when squatting, though, which makes me curious as to the nature of the problem. Every once in a while I’ll feel a little tweak when I am squatting deep. However, it mainly occurs when pulling. It is certainly not unmanageable and I have been pushing through it for about three weeks now.

Anyone experience this?

Any suggestions?

At the moment I am undergoing a four-day forced hiatus as a result of the Christmas holiday so I can’t lift on it until Tuesday. That being said, I’d like figure out if I can deadlift safely come heavy day.

I aggravated my Sacroiliac (SI) joint. I had soreness behind my glutes on one side. The ‘pain’ slowly but surely went away.

Your pain could be inflammation of the SI joint. Mine healed over time I just backed off the deadlift until it healed.

I had this exact same problem when i first started power lifting due to tendonitis in my hip joint. After taking a break from lifting (due to football season) I came back and changed my stance to a little more narrow. It seems to have solved my prolem (which was pretty severe) and I hope to enter my first PL competition in january.

Good luck

I have a twist in my spine at my lower back. My left side is pushed in, and my right side is pushed out. When I move the glutes back to lower for the deadlift, I put a lot of strain on my left side, and I end up pulling that muscle over and over again.

I ask my phsyical therapist about it, and he provided me stretching exercises. So far these exercises have worked.

I suggest seeing a physical therapist to come up with a plan to correct your problem for the long term.

I had this at one point too. What I did was took a couple weeks off from deading and made sure I was stretching out all my hip flexors and concentrated on my IT band as well.

[quote]Easy E wrote:
I had this at one point too. What I did was took a couple weeks off from deading and made sure I was stretching out all my hip flexors and concentrated on my IT band as well.[/quote]

How did you stretch your hip flexors so that it helped you?

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
Easy E wrote:
I had this at one point too. What I did was took a couple weeks off from deading and made sure I was stretching out all my hip flexors and concentrated on my IT band as well.

How did you stretch your hip flexors so that it helped you?[/quote]

Sit indian style but with the bottom of your feet together. After awhile you should be able to pull your feet in more towards your bod0y. Here are two pics for you. I dont know who the hell that girl is, sorry i couldnt find a better looking one for ya.

most likely tight hip flexors adductors, and rotators.

I find doing round house kicks on a bag warms up my hip adds well.

PNF stretching, and such will help alott.

get some massages to.

In my opinion it could be weak hip adductors, weak external hip rotators, over-active hip adductors and hip flexors. Also, glutes seem unable to fire in conjuction with the quads and hamstrings while deadlifting (proper muscle sequencing during a particular lift due to weakness in the kinetic chain of a particular movement.

During a particular muscle or muscle group will initiate and take over the movement. The weaker muscle or muscle group will remain dormant or not contibute as much, thus causing the prime movers to super harder.

[quote]Truet wrote:
In my opinion it could be weak hip adductors, weak external hip rotators, over-active hip adductors and hip flexors. Also, glutes seem unable to fire in conjuction with the quads and hamstrings while deadlifting (proper muscle sequencing during a particular lift due to weakness in the kinetic chain of a particular movement.

During a particular muscle or muscle group will initiate and take over the movement. The weaker muscle or muscle group will remain dormant or not contibute as much, thus causing the prime movers to super harder. [/quote]

Sounds reasonable…

If this were the case, what should I do about it?

  1. Work on hip mobility exercises. You can use them as a warm-up or as a part of the actual workout. Chek out articles by Eric Cressey. Examples would be tube lateral walks or lying hip abductions.

  2. Active isolation or dynamic flexibility techniques for the hip adductors, piriformis, hip flexors/quadriceps, and core musculature.

  3. Use a periodization plan, probably undulating, so that every deadlifting day isn’t a heavy day. One day would be heavy for maximal strength, one day is an explosive day to work on speed-strength, and another day you could do what Mike Boyle may suggests and that is do one-legged romanian deadlifts. These would be great because the lighter loads you would use would allow you to concentrare on the muscle/muscles used in the movement and build up equal strength in both legs.