T Nation

Hip Mobility Advice for Squat/Dead

Ive been lurking on the forum for a while and decided to finally join. Ive been lifting steady for a few years now, but not very heavy until about a year ago after i lost weight. I was very unhealthy at 6’3 weighing a little over 400, im down to 270 and just trying to train for mass, and im having trouble with some main lifts.

My problem is i have bad hip mobility and getting down to the bar on deadlift and getting low on squats is almost impossible without rounding my back, i just cant squat down very far. Anyone here have any tips on certain stretches or anything of that sort to help get me on track?

My upper body has way surpassed my lower in strength and size. Leg press, extensions, etc. are not cutting it, any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

I typed “hip” in the search function on the top right. “Hip Mobility Exercise” was the third from top.

Click articles.

So many good articles for you to choose from.

Cheers

Hey thanks, im a dummy lol, ill delete the thread if I figure out how, should have searched.

No worries

Congrats on the weight loss, btw

Thanks, got to be an addiction after 50 lbs.

[quote]bigjake34452 wrote:
Ive been lurking on the forum for a while and decided to finally join. Ive been lifting steady for a few years now, but not very heavy until about a year ago after i lost weight. I was very unhealthy at 6’3 weighing a little over 400, im down to 270 and just trying to train for mass[/quote]
Huge congrats on the weight loss. That’s crazy.

Not to tell you your goals, but are you sure training for mass is the right way to go for now? Just saying, you’re still a very big dude at your size (obviously not sure of your current bodyfat though). Cleaning up your nutrition and maybe tweaking your training could get you shaving off some more bodyfat so you still end up looking jacked, especially if you already have a decent amount of muscle. Either way, keep doing your thing, you’re definitely on a roll.

Like JFG said, there have been tons of mobility articles on here. Look around and see what clicks.

Also look into goblet squats. They’re basically a lighter weight drill/exercise to specifically get the squatting movement down.

I know i still have more weight to come off, but i was hoping for the rest to be more of a gradual loss. but im not sure how much more weight i have to lose, im a very wide guy broad shoulders, big chest. I only carry the rest of my weight in my chest/stomache, very little on my arms and legs.

The reason i was wanting to train for mass is i get size fast from lifting as it is, and now i have alot of extra skin now that i lost that weight, i figure the more good mass i put on, the less loose i will look.

And thank you for that link on goblet squats i will be trying that for sure.

[quote]bigjake34452 wrote:
The reason i was wanting to train for mass is i get size fast from lifting as it is, and now i have alot of extra skin now that i lost that weight, i figure the more good mass i put on, the less loose i will look.[/quote]
Give a read through this thread. It’s a few years old, but there might be some useful info:
https://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/a_new_take_on_loose_skin