Hip Joint Problem (FAI)

Hi everyone. my hobby is powerlifting, but can’t lift too much.
I have something problem. The ‘FAI (Femoral Acetabular Impingement)’ (both side. left and right)
Actually I got 2 times surgery hip joint (both. left and right) 2013,2014. Because got serious injury when I was highschool as a Taekwondo player.
After the surgery, living the life is more better than before the surgery.
But still feel too much pain when doing squat and deadlift and any other hip rotation movement.
The doctor always says ‘Don’t do squat and deadlift’
But my job is trainer. I have to workout and have to demonstration to my client.
Anyone had experience fix like this problem?
I need advice.
Thanks for all.

Send your clients vids

Hi Mate. This is actually my first post… so hello!

To give you some background, I’ve been a Physiotherapist for 10 years now, worked in elite sport and continue to do so.

FAI is actually very common, although IMO over-diagnosed. There’s nothing you can do about bony hip anatomy, bar surgery (and the long term outcomes tend to be poor).

Suggest you focus on what you can do - improving how your hip joint articulates. 99% of people I see with FAI type symptoms are dominant in their anterior musculature and weak in the posterior chain - so the femur translates anteriorly, reduces gap in the joint and potentially impinges.

My advice is work on really strengthening your post chain and Glutes (not just deadlift but real isolated work i.e. clams, leg raises, band resisted work, hip thrusts etc) and work on stretching and reducing tone through hip flexors, psoas and quads. Don’t force the joint with endless mobility but 5 mins on the bike, and then a flow type prorram pre lower body will help.

Squat wide, feet rotated out!

3 Likes

What do you think about using bands to pull the femur back into the socket or widen the gap in the joint?

1 Like

meh… without the getting in too deep into the physiology behind it, it works, but not via that mechanism.

The joint and surrounding structures are far too deep/strong to be affected by the band itself, however the movement and sensation triggers a neurophysioogical reaction which CAN lead to a posterior translation.

… but at the end of the day, it feels good, people like it… there’s no harm in doing it! But don’t spend 45 minutes doing this and the supple leopard nonsense and non on correct the underlying biomechanical issues which have led you there in the first place

2 Likes

Have you looked into PRI stuff at all? I’ve been falling down that rabbit hole and am interested to hear other people’s opinions

2nd year physio student

1 Like

Thanks a lot for advice. these days I’m doing more stretching of hip flexor and posterior chain muscle.
Plus, doing isolated post chain exercise and at least ride 10 min of stationary bike trying using my pelvic joint.
Next time I’m gonna try the squat more wide and feet rateted out.

um… sorry but, can you what is explain the PRI? I think you recommend to me PRI stuff.

I’m gonna try do that. Actually I was sluggardly person, doing band exercise. But these days I realized band exercise good for my stability.

I’m not good at it for English. But I think your opinion is band can get good affect for my movement and give to me good reaction for posterior zone.

My bad, I actually addressed my question to @jwh992

If you’re interested, PRI stands for Postural Restoration Institute. They’re a school of thought in physiotherapy/chiropractic/osteopathy.

I will never encourage someone not to educate themselves about the human body, but without a background in anatomy/biomechanics, a lot of what PRI talks about can sound like gobble-de-gook