Hip Hurts When Squatting

Hi,
For maybe two months, I’ve been feeling tightness in my left hip. The problem has manifested itself in that i can’t do pistols with my left leg, and that it hurts in the hip during the first descent in every squat set. After a squat day, when I tense the muscles in my left leg I feel some pain (not the good kind) along the lateral edge of the upper thigh. Any suggestions on what this might be and what I should do? I do foam roll my IT bands, but that doesn’t seem to have any effect.

[quote]rogernh wrote:
Hi,
For maybe two months, I’ve been feeling tightness in my left hip. The problem has manifested itself in that i can’t do pistols with my left leg, and that it hurts in the hip during the first descent in every squat set. After a squat day, when I tense the muscles in my left leg I feel some pain (not the good kind) along the lateral edge of the upper thigh. Any suggestions on what this might be and what I should do? I do foam roll my IT bands, but that doesn’t seem to have any effect.[/quote]

Hey Roger,

I don’t think foam rolling the IT bands will help. I’ve had the same type of pain that you described. From my experience (extremely unprofessional average joe experience), it is caused by tightness and lack of mobility in the hips and legs. I would work them through dynamic mobility drills, work on good form with bodyweight squats, and take it easy on the heavy weights for awhile.

Good luck!

How wide are you squatting? I remember when I played around with wide-stance squatting (not even that heavy btw, well… heavy for me at the time). My hips got really really beaten up.

Anyways, I narrowed my stance and I’m doing a lot better now. So if you squat wide, maybe give narrowing your stance a try?

I would try and figure out if you do other activities that favor one leg over the other. For myself, I used to kind of twist at the bottom of squats since I had a tight left hip. Foam rolling and stretching pretty much did the trick. Just try not to favor one side over the other and make sure there is equal flexibility on both sides.

Thanks for the input, seems that you nailed the problem. I do squat wide, and the hip does feel tight when I try pistols. Hip mobility and narrow-stance squats it is, then!

Sounds like trochanteric bursitis. Are you doing a lot of other volume as well? i.e. running, squatting multiple times/week?

beef